• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crowds

Sanz

On the other hand, I also found this 'New' Wankhede fails to draw crowds for World Cup matches | News | NDTVSports.com.

So I may need to take back my comment since 250 rupees is much more affordable to the general public. I have my own reasons for never going to a BCCI venue but if there are a lot of tickets available for 250 rupees at other stadiums as well, I would have hoped for a higher turnout.
Looking at Internet for Ticket Prices and the minimum looks like 500 Rs. for a Test Playing Nation. I am not sure anyone would want to spend 500 bucks for ticket to go watch cricket in such a unpleasant environment. If a family wants to go out and enjoy the game, it would be easily above 1000+ for decent tickets.

I think I have brought this before in my discussion with you that BCCI has done absolutely nothing in terms of bring the fans to the stands. Fans are treated like ****, Majority of the stadiums are horrible with almost zero facilities. And to top it all, tickets for any India game are hardly available for sale, most of the India game tickets are given to the so called VIPs.Why should the fans spend their hard earned money go to watch other teams play cricket in the stadiums when they are not given an opportunity to watch their own team play ?

I have already posted pictures of how the fans were beaten up before India-Eng Match, here is what happened during India-SA match :-

Fusion

Global Moderator
Those pictures are shocking. There’s got to be a story behind them right? Why are the police beating up those fans? Did they offer up any excuses and is any action being taken against them?

Sanz

Considering we constantly hear how Indian fans love their cricket the crowds have been piss poor so far in the competition with grounds barely half full, very poor show if you ask me.

Is it cost, or just bad organisation by BCCI?

Being so far away it is difficult to know but the fact is the half empty stadiums do look stupid in the games major showpiece. I presume tv money is more important than filling the grounds to India.
It is mostly bad organization. There are many fans who would want to go watch cricket. As kids I know that we used to enjoy the opportunities to watch even domestic games since it would be so hard to get a ticket for International match.

BCCI has, over the years, killed that culture and basically prefers that ordinary fans do not demand tickets so that they could sell all these tickets to sponsors.

Sanz

Those pictures are shocking. There’s got to be a story behind them right? Why are the police beating up those fans? Did they offer up any excuses and is any action being taken against them?
Story is not enough tickets and poor organization. For India-England match they had 7000 (out of a total of 34000) and that means for 7000 tickets probably 70,000 showed up in the morning.

Police attack fans seeking tickets for India v South Africa in Nagpur | Sport | guardian.co.uk

"I have been here since last night. Many villagers who had also come here for tickets slept outside the stadium as they waited for the ticket counter to open. When the counter opened, there was a huge rush to buy the tickets. Police baton-charged the people as they tried to control the crowd. I could not get a ticket so I will have to watch the match on television."

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Police attack fans seeking tickets for India v South Africa in Nagpur | Sport | guardian.co.uk

"I have been here since last night. Many villagers who had also come here for tickets slept outside the stadium as they waited for the ticket counter to open. When the counter opened, there was a huge rush to buy the tickets. Police baton-charged the people as they tried to control the crowd. I could not get a ticket so I will have to watch the match on television."
So this seems like a combination of bad planning, overzealous policing, and unruly fans. There should’ve been better organization on the part of the authorities for the fans in line. I’m not sure who’s responsibility it is to organize that (the local stadium authorities? BCCI? Police?). So that’s where the real issue lies. Now once the fans break through the lines and start to rush, it is ALMOST understandable that the police will use their sticks to hold them back. They have to control the crowd somehow otherwise a stampede may occur.

Sanz

So this seems like a combination of bad planning, overzealous policing, and unruly fans. There should’ve been better organization on the part of the authorities for the fans in line. I’m not sure who’s responsibility it is to organize that (the local stadium authorities? BCCI? Police?). So that’s where the real issue lies. Now once the fans break through the lines and start to rush, it is ALMOST understandable that the police will use their sticks to hold them back. They have to control the crowd somehow otherwise a stampede may occur.
May be the fans are unruly at times, but they are not there to create trouble, they just want to watch a game. It is bad planning and greed on the part of BCCI. Clearly there are not enough tickets and seats available for fans and whatever is available is held back until the last moment. Online ticketing site is not working (imagine the irony that biggest IT professional work force from India), those who bought tickets aren't getting their tickets and many other problems.

biased indian

Isn't ICC doing the ticketing part ??? to avoid the incidents mentioned above ICC have introduced a ballot system for awarding tickets for the SF and finals for general public

only 20% or 30% of the tickets are available for public on sale..rest are given to the sponsors.which they distribute.and most of the people who get this does not bother to turn up for the matches.

and i am sure if this was T20 tournament more people would have bothered to come and watch the games ..taking a day leave to watch Aus vs Ken and going in the evening to watch the same match is different

and as far as the stadium are considered all the venues of the world cup has been recently modified and as i understand almost all grounds now have individual seat and not the concrete benches that was there.

Bun

Banned
Yep those neutral games are really getting packed out, so I can see the evidence to why I'm wrong.
still they are better than what can be expected in other countries. for ecample the second cb series final vs india in aus, got poor crowds for a home and final game, even considering it was gillys last match.

that said, the way indian crowds are treated is pathetic.

benchmark00

still they are better than what can be expected in other countries. for ecample the second cb series final vs india in aus, got poor crowds for a home and final game, even considering it was gillys last match.

that said, the way indian crowds are treated is pathetic.
Firstly, you're comparing a population of 20 million to 1 billion.

Secondly, you're comparing a tri series match at the end of a long summer to a World Cup.

Thirdly, the comment I made wasn't supposed to be a slight on India as a country, nor was I saying it with the intention of comparing it to another country. People take comments too personally.

For a country of 1 billion people which has a reputation of 'cricket crazy', it seems a little off to me that neutral matches are attracting very poor attendances. The argument of out pricing the locals has been raised, and whilst I acknowledge that is indeed possible (it certainly occured last WC in the Carribean), I can't help but think that it's merely an excuse, considering the most expensive games (ones involving India) are packed to the rafters.

I'm not saying attendances for neutrals would be any better in say Australia or South Africa or wherever... but those countries don't have a population of 1 billion and don't have a reputation of being absolutely obsessed with cricket.

Brings me back to my original point - I get the impression that the Indian population don't care as much about the game as is made out. Their passion for their own team can never be brought into question though.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Understand what you're saying, particularly with regards to population and reputation. But I reckon I care a lot about the game of cricket, and there's no way in hell I'd travel to the ground and pay to stand in the sun and watch Australia vs. Kenya or Sri Lanka vs. Zimbabwe. Just won't do it. World Cup or not.

Bun

Banned

Secondly, you're comparing a tri series match at the end of a long summer to a World Cup.

Thirdly, the comment I made wasn't supposed to be a slight on India as a country, nor was I saying it with the intention of comparing it to another country. People take comments too personally.

For a country of 1 billion people which has a reputation of 'cricket crazy', it seems a little off to me that neutral matches are attracting very poor attendances. The argument of out pricing the locals has been raised, and whilst I acknowledge that is indeed possible (it certainly occured last WC in the Carribean), I can't help but think that it's merely an excuse, considering the most expensive games (ones involving India) are packed to the rafters.

I'm not saying attendances for neutrals would be any better in say Australia or South Africa or wherever... but those countries don't have a population of 1 billion and don't have a reputation of being absolutely obsessed with cricket.

Brings me back to my original point - I get the impression that the Indian population don't care as much about the game as is made out. Their passion for their own team can never be brought into question though.
Indians arent anyway different from the rest of the world when it comes to cricket or any sport following, whether they are a billion or a million big. They too have their preferences, and 99 per cent of them will hesitate and consider other factors like their work, money, family etc before committing to watch a neutral match, even moreso when it involves minnows, whom naturally they wont have any interest other than the cursory.

I doubt a N Korea vs Qatar fixture can send the Wembley spilling out with English fans, despite soccer being a craze in UK.

The definition of being cricket crazy public doesnt necessarily include an all inclusive, broadminded love for cricket the game regardless of form or participants. I am quite sure we will see wholesome crowds for the quarters, and we all know how has been the demand for semis and finals. Afaik India iisnt a confirmed entry for all these gamees, but the demand has been unbelievable.

Regarding the CB final remark, it wasnt just a end of. summer game, but a crucial must win final for Australia, and the final international of one of the game's greatest. Surely that should see better crowds than a Aus vs Ken fixture or a Net vs Ire one?

benchmark00

Understand what you're saying, particularly with regards to population and reputation. But I reckon I care a lot about the game of cricket, and there's no way in hell I'd travel to the ground and pay to stand in the sun and watch Australia vs. Kenya or Sri Lanka vs. Zimbabwe. Just won't do it. World Cup or not.
Meh, I reckon if it were a World Cup match I'd go see India vs whoever in Australia. In fact I remember going to watch England vs Zimbabwe in 92 when Zimbabwe knocked them over. Was awesome.

Indians arent anyway different from the rest of the world when it comes to cricket or any sport following, whether they are a billion or a million big. They too have their preferences, and 99 per cent of them will hesitate and consider other factors like their work, money, family etc before committing to watch a neutral match, even moreso when it involves minnows, whom naturally they wont have any interest other than the cursory.

I doubt a N Korea vs Qatar fixture can send the Wembley spilling out with English fans, despite soccer being a craze in UK.

The definition of being cricket crazy public doesnt necessarily include an all inclusive, broadminded love for cricket the game regardless of form or participants. I am quite sure we will see wholesome crowds for the quarters, and we all know how has been the demand for semis and finals. Afaik India iisnt a confirmed entry for all these gamees, but the demand has been unbelievable.

Regarding the CB final remark, it wasnt just a end of. summer game, but a crucial must win final for Australia, and the final international of one of the game's greatest. Surely that should see better crowds than a Aus vs Ken fixture or a Net vs Ire one?
That Australian game that you mentioned had a crowd of 28,000 people for a Tuesday, and although that's not huge by Australian attendance measure, it's still not empty like you're making it out to be. Besides, why would you bring another country's attendances up? Clearly have missed my point.

All I'm saying that until a country of 1 billion people start showing up for neutral games, it really shouldn't have the reputation of cricket obsessed that it has aws. Is that really the end of the world?

Daemon

Not all fans are like us here at the forum. Majority just want to have fun and spend the day with family/friends and watch their favourite players. Don't think a lot of fans dissect games and have intellectual analyses about it, they just want to have a blast. Just my opinion.

Sanz

This is some seriously ridiculous ****. 1 Billion people do not live in the city the game is happening. Don't forget that majority of the population is below poverty line and therefore unable to afford any kind of sport, even a movie ticket of Rs. 50 is unaffordable for them forget spending Rs. 250 on a cricket match.

..the comment I made wasn't supposed to be a slight on India as a country, nor was I saying it with the intention of comparing it to another country. People take comments too personally.

Once again the population of 1 billion was used as if 1 billion live in every city of the country.