• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lionel Messi..

vcs

TBF, Unnamed Premiership Player is still a role model and a model professional, even if he slept around a bit. You could have chosen a better example.

Messi is really knocking on the door to join the elite pantheon, though.

Cevno

Tbf, Ronaldo is a role model in terms of his football activities too.

Just look at how fit he is and how comitted he is on the pitch.Hardly ever gets injured too compared to Messi too and has been a professional even when he wanted to leave United and go to Madrid.

He may have his moments off the field though,and there Messi may be more disciplined but he has not done anything really really stupid still.
And is more markeatable then Messi too.

Cevno

If anything it would be the other way around. Messi's contribution to the build-up play is much more than Ronaldo's. Ronaldo would just not fit into Barca's style of football.
Ronaldo would fit in the role Pedro plays perfectly.

He can contribute in the build up play if required and would add more directness and strength to their attack too.

Though having said that i disagree that Messi won't fit into the real's system. He can easily take Di Maria's spot in their team and they can play with a more flexible striker to accomodate both him and Ronaldo.
Actually Rooney would be perfect for those two to play together.

Last edited:

vcs

It must hurt C. Ronaldo so much that he is so clearly the 2nd best player in the world, and yet, far behind Messi. :laugh:

vcs

Ronaldo would fit in the role Pedro plays perfectly.

He can contribute in the build up play if required and would add more directness and strength to their attack too.

Though having said that i disagree that Messi won't fit into the real's system. He can easily take Di Maria's spot in their team and they can play with a more flexible striker to accomodate both him and Ronaldo.
Actually Rooney would be perfect for those two to play together.
Playing Ronaldo and Messi together, provided they gel together and play unselfishly (which is probably asking too much of Ronaldo), would just be cheating.

Cevno

It must hurt C. Ronaldo so much that he is so clearly the 2nd best player in the world, and yet, far behind Messi. :laugh:
He would have been the best player in most other generations clearly,tbh.

But don't think he is far behind Messi.

He has attributes to his game though may not be as aesthetically pleasing as Messi's attributes ,they are pretty effective and Messi won't have.

He did deny Barca the treble this year too.

Cevno

Playing Ronaldo and Messi together, provided they gel together and play unselfishly (which is probably asking too much of Ronaldo), would just be cheating.
They'd gel effectively all right.

But would require a unselfish striker with them who is at their level and can understand them. Someone like Rooney would be perfect for this as he showed with Ronaldo in his United days.

And also at the same time will require good midfield protection.

Bun

Banned
Really!

Messi is probably up there with Maradona and Pele. I think only a national honor is missing from his resume. If Argentina wins a World Cup...

Redbacks

Neither is the World Cup.
But they are played like a game of chess. You wait for the opponent to make a mistake often rather than going all out attack. Messi was found wanting against Germany, but then again it was easy to put all the pressure on him and score against a joke defence. You just couldn't get away with that in club football as you can buy great players to capitalise on teams putting too much pressure on one player.

Also helps these days that attackers don't get the **** kicked out of them all game.

Xuhaib

he play's for Argentina not Korea or Slovenia, I don't know much about football but I have never seen Platini,Zico and Cryuff being seen at the same leval as Pele,Zidane and Maradonna being a WC winner is not everything but it sure is something that has elevated Zidane, Maradonna and Zadiane over other greats.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Such a stupid argument imo. Messi didn't choose where he was born.
No, this is true, I don't think he has to win one.

But, as I've probably already said in this thread, his WC performances have been a level below what he's capable of. He needs to address that before he gets placed alongside the absolute best.

By absolute best, I do mean the top two or three.

vcs

No, this is true, I don't think he has to win one.

But, as I've probably already said in this thread, his WC performances have been a level below what he's capable of. He needs to address that before he gets placed alongside the absolute best.

By absolute best, I do mean the top two or three.
Agreed.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
he play's for Argentina not Korea or Slovenia, I don't know much about football but I have never seen Platini,Zico and Cryuff being seen at the same leval as Pele,Zidane and Maradonna being a WC winner is not everything but it sure is something that has elevated Zidane, Maradonna and Zadiane over other greats.
People over-rate World Cup wins. Zidane's "performance" in 1998 is always mentioned when he was about 1,645,322,643 times better in 2006.

PhoenixFire

Such a stupid argument imo. Messi didn't choose where he was born.
+1

Are people seriously suggesting that if he carries on scoring about a million goals every season, but 'fails' to win a world cup because his team/management is crap, he can't be placed on the same level as Maradonna? Just plain daft.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
+1

Are people seriously suggesting that if he carries on scoring about a million goals every season, but 'fails' to win a world cup because his team/management is crap, he can't be placed on the same level as Maradonna? Just plain daft.
It's also a redundant argument.

Maradona and Pele are held in high regard because they were damn fine players. But the reason their World Cup performances matter more is because they were from an era where the World Cup was their only major international exposure.

Guys like Messi and Ronaldo are constantly exposed through all their domestic games being available to a massive domestic and international TV audience and their participation in the Champions League. In today's world, World Cup performances mean less because it's not the only time we'll see such players.