• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2017 NZ General Election

Smudge

Winston isn't going to be able to resist making as big a splash as possible. He also will never forget National betraying him. He's going to red wedding those guys.
He also won't work with the Greens. So a Labour/NZF combo will fall short.

Smudge

Avaaaatar betttttt
You're on. One month of an avatar of the winner's choice once the Government is formed. You have any form of Government featuring Labour and I have any form of Government featuring National. Deal?

Flem274*

123/5
if the national faithful and a resurgent labour could make winston peters irrelevant it would be an overall win for me, regardless of who gets to be PM

Athlai

Not Terrible
if the national faithful and a resurgent labour could make winston peters irrelevant it would be an overall win for me, regardless of who gets to be PM
100% not happening either way. This time he really for suresies and no fakesies is the queenmaker.

_Ed_

That polling really is something - Jacinda up 19.6 points in preferred PM to 26.3, Labour up 9 points to 33.1
Been a while since a Labour leader has polled in the 20s for preferred PM. With that, I think Rodney Hide's Winston-as-PM scenario is a goner.

Flem274*

123/5
100% not happening either way. This time he really for suresies and no fakesies is the queenmaker.
Would be terrible for the country if so. In the post TPP world we have a lot of trade agreements to negotiate, our ageing population issue needs a sorting out sooner rather than later, his ideal economic NZ is a 1950s fairy tale we can never go back to, and to top it off he's a racist old bastard who will have god knows what impact on internal and external race relations.

he represents the worst impulses of both the reactionary idiot and the fossil, but he's been getting away with it for decades because he's entertaining.

_Ed_

Anyone know the method used in this poll? Some of them are landline-only, which can skew results a smidge.

Bahnz

Been a while since a Labour leader has polled in the 20s for preferred PM. With that, I think Rodney Hide's Winston-as-PM scenario is a goner.
I don't think he'd enjoy the role that much either. Too much work, not enough perks (he was also pretty miserable by all accounts when he was Treasurer back in Bolger's government, a few of my colleagues told me that he used to literally fall asleep in officials meetings). Winston is a lying, schmoozing, amoral chameleon, so he's a natural fit for a diplomatic position (i.e. Minister of Foreign Affairs). He loved his stint in the last government, and by all accounts was bloody good at it too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him return to the post after the election.

Last edited:

Bahnz

The Aussies saying they can't trust Labour will probably give them nearly as much of a boost as Ardern's appointment.