• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia

Compton

Smith isn’t a home/flat track bully, or a first innings bully. He’s just a bully. He scores runs in obscene volume.

S.Kennedy

I may be missing something, but why do we care??

They average better at home . . . How is this an amazing phenomenon? Especially since you've been posting about Australian "roads" repeatedly why do you think it's interesting that they average more at home?

Like I said, I may be missing something but I just can't figure out what your point is.
Because it tells you all you need to know. Khawaja and Warner are not complete batsmen. They rely on CA rolling out roads and then making 900 runs. That is why they'll out perform England's bats. Flat track bullies.

Spark

Global Moderator
Saying Khawaja only plays well on roads is unfair tbh. He's played really well in pace-friendly conditions in the past, though he undoubtedly likes pace on the ball and off the pitch.

Warner too. They aren't so much bad on bowler-friendly pitches as they are mediocre on slow pitches (which can still be batsman-friendly!)

TheJediBrah

Because it tells you all you need to know. Khawaja and Warner are not complete batsmen. They rely on CA rolling out roads and then making 900 runs. That is why they'll out perform England's bats. Flat track bullies.
Series hasn't even started and you're already taking the whinging to epic levels of delusion. At least wait until the series starts before thinking up excuses.

S.Kennedy

Series hasn't even started and you're already taking the whinging to epic levels of delusion. At least wait until the series starts before thinking up excuses.
Just stating things. You'll win here because of your flat track bullies, but we'll win them back again in England because you cannot play on green seamers.

stephen

I agree that (in particular) Khawaja isn't a complete batsman. He is really bad on slow turning decks. He's like the reverse of so many subcontinental bats over the years who crapped themselves any time they face a bouncy, quick pitch.

Still, Warner is good overseas. Not great, but pretty decent. An average of 35-40 overseas isn't ATG material by any means but it's certainly serviceable. I mean Mark Waugh only averaged just over 40 for years and was able to hold down a spot in the Australian batting lineup.

stephen

Just stating things. You'll win here because of your flat track bullies, but we'll win them back again in England because you cannot play on green seamers.
I don't think it's the green seamers that worry Khawaja, rather the slowness off the pitch. He really likes it coming onto the bat.

English conditions turn Anderson into a beast and Broad always rises for an Ashes series, so I expect you guys to roll us when we head back there in two years. Having said that, I think the 2019 Ashes will be a closer thing than the 2015 Ashes was.

Woodster

I think the thing is that neither side are good enough (or haven't been recently) or complete enough in all conditions to travel to the opposition's backyard and get a positive result. The Aussies capitulate when Anderson is swinging it around and Broad's nipping it about, and I expect our batting to struggle against the Aussies this time, mainly because it doesn't look strong enough.

S.Kennedy

Our recent form in away ashes is played 2 series, won one and lost one.
50%
Yes but that lost one was a hefty one.

The English ones are a bit closer. 2013 flattered the English a bit. I would say Australia deserved to pick up one test, the Manchester wash out perhaps or the Oval finale before Clarke made a dog's dinner of a declaration. 2015 flatters the Aussies a bit in that it was 3-1 going into the final test. I suppose the conclusion is, when England lose away they lose badly. When Australia lose they do not go into as big a meltdown as the English but they still lose by a reasonable margin. I'd rather be in England's shoes though as we are the team who broke the home-away pattern in 2010-11. Australia have not won an English Ashes since 2001.

stephen

Yes but that lost one was a hefty one.

The English ones are a bit closer. 2013 flattered the English a bit. I would say Australia deserved to pick up one test, the Manchester wash out perhaps or the Oval finale before Clarke made a dog's dinner of a declaration. 2015 flatters the Aussies a bit in that it was 3-1 going into the final test. I suppose the conclusion is, when England lose away they lose badly. When Australia lose they do not go into as big a meltdown as the English but they still lose by a reasonable margin. I'd rather be in England's shoes though as we are the team who broke the home-away pattern in 2010-11. Australia have not won an English Ashes since 2001.
Since 2000 both sides have won a single away series and lost a single home series. If you change the cutoff to the last decade, England have had the better of Australia, with the 2010-11 series being the only one which has gone against the home side during that time. Australia's win was a lot more convincing though. 2009-E (H), 2010-11-E (A), 2013-E (H), 2013/14-A (H), 2015-E (H).

Tom Flint

My comment was tongue in cheek btw.
However it is an interesting dicussion to have on who's record post 2003 you would rather have.
England have the one away win in that time but aus have the 5-0 drubbings. I'd probably prefer englands but those whitewashes were painful

S.Kennedy

Especially the last one. At least you could just say that England at least showed a bit of fight in Adelaide in the first one, in what was a classic match, and that Fred had been hitting the Bacardi Breezers. The second one against a poor Australian side was a disgrace.

TheJediBrah

Since 2000 both sides have won a single away series and lost a single home series. If you change the cutoff to the last decade, England have had the better of Australia, with the 2010-11 series being the only one which has gone against the home side during that time. Australia's win was a lot more convincing though. 2009-E (H), 2010-11-E (A), 2013-E (H), 2013/14-A (H), 2015-E (H).
2009 was the most interesting one. Australia were comfortably the better side throughout the series but lost the moments that decided results.

do you see how ignorant and one-eyed that thinking is?

I could just as easily switch around and say "You'll win in England because your bowlers can only take wickets in cloudy seaming conditions, but we'll win them back in Australia because you cannot take wickets on true surfaces/your batsmen can't handle pace".

Which would be just as accurate as what you said.

Last edited:

Adders

2009 was the most interesting one. Australia were comfortably the better side throughout the series but lost the moments that decided results.
I dispute this and its a widely held believe.

Yeah the Aussies topped the batting and bowling stats for the series but they did that on the back of 2 tests......one where they couldnt finish the job and the other they flogged us.

The Ashes are played over 5 tests and in the other 3 Eng were the better side so i dont see how you can say the Aussies were "comfortably" the better team over the series.

Itbt it was ****ing close and neither were "comfortably" better than the other.

Last edited: