• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

morgieb

Limp end.

Brilliant win overall though. Being 8/122 we would've been lucky to get 200. And at 4/270-odd after Day 2 you'd have thought England were clear favourites. Last 3 days were pretty much all Australia.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Also, Paine being the one to lead us to victory in England after Ponting and Clarke failed twice each would be really amusing to me
It is a long series boi.

Yessss what a win. Back to normality with NSW bowlers claiming all 10 wickets.

morgieb

idk i feel like this will have India 2017 feels to it in a couple of weeks
This win definitely has parallels between that and Bengaluru, but I feel like India were a better team than England are and what happened here seems more sustainable (IIRC that win had a lot to do with two nasty batting collapses from India, England actually scored runs first innings and still got smashed).

wpdavid

Wow what a turnaround
Since 122 for 8 on Day 1? I suppose so, but Australia have dominated most of what followed and Day 2 was only evens because Burns and Root used up their luck for he whole series. And if you look at England's test performances in 2019, this is entirely to be expected. They really are a very poor test side nowadays. I was chatting to a mate at the end of Day 3 who reckoned that chasing anything over 200 would be tricky, and my response was I couldn't see us chasing 150 against Lyon on a Day 5 pitch. I may as well shout about it when I call one right occasionally.

Well done Australia, who have done what they had to do against this shower of shite. And Smith, tbf, has probably matched Steve Waugh's twin masterpieces at Old Trafford in 1997. But England have been pathetic for most of the match.

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

Well I never would have thought it would turn out like this after watching the first half of the first day.

Guess that's the great thing about Test Cricket.

OverratedSanity

Those two Smith tons have to be up there with any of the other great performances in cricket history. I dont think there's ever been a pair of tons that influential to a result.

Starfighter

I must say that really is a turnaround. Thought we had no hope when we were 8/122, thought we had no hope when Burns batted and batted, could have gone either way yesterday morning. But what about Steven Smith.

ajdude

can’t wait for channel 9 to cut off their coverage in twenty seconds and show a rerun of The New Adventures of Old Christine or something

mr_mister

Since 122 for 8 on Day 1? I suppose so, but Australia have dominated most of what followed and Day 2 was only evens because Burns and Root used up their luck for he whole series. And if you look at England's test performances in 2019, this is entirely to be expected. They really are a very poor test side nowadays.

Australia were paying $7 to win at the end of day 2 fyi

Test_Fan_Only

England's batting is not good enough and it is not even close to being good enough. Zimbabwe probably have had a stronger batting line up at some point of their time as a test nation than this England side. Root is the only test match quality batsman in the team.