• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Search results

1. nick-o

Who were they in a previous life?

How do you imagine the former incarnations of CW posters? for example, I see Sledger as a court jester in Tudor times, making lude jokes about his codpiece, while BoyBrumby was a yeoman in Oliver’s army during the Civil War, striding steadfast out of the Fens in the vain and impossible hope of...
  2. nick-o

cyberarchaeology

Somewhere around the year 2450, when some semblance of civilization has at last emerged out of the wreckage of the “Great Pandemic” of 2020-30, a new field of academic research will arise, “cyberarchaeology”. An enterprising student will base her doctoral thesis on a newly discovered trove of...
  3. nick-o

Your feelgood coronavirus stories

No doom and gloom here, just post the fun things. For me: The joys of a lockdown in a country where you don't bother to read all the kanji... My workplace emailed us saying we shouldn't come to the office unless it was absolutely essential, in which case we had to telephone first thing in the...
  4. nick-o

The Wales thread -- as proudly promoted by Grecian

Long-awaited, but, as our esteemed sponsor Grecian explained, much-needed so that "respectable people can avoid it" I know it's probably only Grecian and me that are really gunning for Wales this time round, but let's take a step back and celebrate the tremendous achievement of our first...
  5. nick-o

Ian Bell'S 100th vs Graham Thorpe's 100

I wanted to do an Ian Bell 100th test tribute thread, but thought it would be interesting to do it in the context of a comparison with Graham Thorpe, who he effectively replaced in the England team and who played exactly 100 tests. Bell is, after 99 tests, marginally ahead in terms of runs...
  6. nick-o

Battle of the Worst Cricketer

Inspired by a thread in Off Topic, I was wondering who was the worst test cricketer? But it would be too easy to name people who were called up for a match or two and then sank without trace, or people who played for minnow teams in their early years when they weren't yet test class; and surely...
  7. nick-o

CW Player Ratings

I'd like to propose a new idea for CW -- an ongoing player rating project. The way I envision it is that after every completed test series of the year, we all post ratings out of 10 for all the players in that series. Lots of news sites do things like this, but usually it's only one...
  8. nick-o

***RANT*** BBC Sports Personality

On the one hand, congratulations to Fred-o and to the Ashes winners for picking up Sports Personality and Team of the Year awards at the BBC Sports Personality thingie yesterday. Also, huge congrats to Shane Warne for Overseas Personality of the Year. But...... Duncan Fletcher was not given...
  9. nick-o

Second Favorites

Which test-playing nation do you support other than your own? What I'm looking for is a quick survey where you say what test-playing nation you're from and support, and then what your second favorite is. What I'm hoping to find out is: 1) who are the nice guys, the guys we all secretly hope...
  10. nick-o

Player of the Year awards

Who ought to win? Bear in mind its for the period 1 August 2004 - 31 July 2005 NOMINATIONS Player of the Year # Andrew Flintoff (England) # Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pakistan) # Jacques Kallis (South Africa) # Adam Gilchrist (Australia) # Glenn McGrath (Australia) Test player of the year # Adam...
  11. nick-o

Build up to the next Ashes

In the run-up to the next Ashes series, where the position of World No. 1 will be decided, these are the series scheduled: England: 3 tests v Pakistan in Pakistan 3 tests v India in India 3 tests v Sri Lanka in England 4 tests v Pakistan in England Australia: 3 tests v W Indies in Australia...