• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Build up to the next Ashes

nick-o

In the run-up to the next Ashes series, where the position of World No. 1 will be decided, these are the series scheduled:

England:

3 tests v Pakistan in Pakistan
3 tests v India in India
3 tests v Sri Lanka in England
4 tests v Pakistan in England

Australia:

3 tests v W Indies in Australia
3 tests v S Africa in Australia
3 tests v S Africa in S Africa
2 tests v Bangladesh in Bangladesh
series v Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe (unconfirmed)
series v New Zealand in Australia (unconfirmed)

Who has the better schedule?.

I reckon:

a) England will come into the next Ashes having played better opposition and be better prepared, whereas Australia, whose year will revolve around Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, will be less ready for a fight;

and b) Australia will have played too much too often.

What you reckon?

Majin

I dunno, The Aussies opposition is pretty much the same as Englands was in the run up to this series, isn't it? Though I do agree that the Aussies might be playing a little too many games.

Edit: That's only if the unconfirmed series go ahead, Mind.

SpaceMonkey

Well at least England will have no complaints about lack of spin practice when they face Warne next time.

aussie

with regards to the zimbabwe series i doubt whether it will be played, i reckon after the Bangladesh tour Australia will take a total break from this ridiculously long season of cricket, then be up again for the champions trophy then the big Ashes clash down under......

FaaipDeOiad

honestbharani said:
I think they will play in Bangladesh. It is in the 5 year programme, I reckon and I think they will play.
Yeah, but not in Zimababwe. And that "New Zealand in Australia" thing is ODIs, for the Chappell-Hadlee trophy. It's not tests, so not really relevant.

Australia have a very hard summer with three test series, two against South Africa, then an easy winter with just the two tests against Bangladesh and then the Champions Trophy which England will also play in.

Burpey

I am pretty sure the unconfirmed series against NZ is the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy, which is only three ODIs

FaaipDeOiad

social said:
Aside form Tv revenue, can someone remind me why the ICC trophy even exists?
No real reason. The ICC obviously plan on having a "major event" involving all countries once a year. The world cup and the super series are every four years, and the Champions Trophy every other year. It's somewhat interesting and I like to watch it, but I couldn't quite tell you what it's for.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I would think the Zimbabwe series is likely to be around about this time next year, looking at when they tend to schedule their home games.

Beleg

It's pretty amusing that Pakistan haven't lost a series in England since, what, 1987? (and possibly earlier)

wpdavid

Beleg said:
It's pretty amusing that Pakistan haven't lost a series in England since, what, 1987? (and possibly earlier)
They won in England in 1987. The last time they lost a series here was in 1982.

social

wpdavid said:
They won in England in 1987. The last time they lost a series here was in 1982.
Having watched that series, I can tell you that they were absolutely butchered by the English umps in that series.

Imran and, in particular, Abdul Qadir could not buy a decision whilst some of the English wickets were, shall we say, dubious.

I particularly remember Botham getting Nazar (who had scored 1000 runs before the end of May) LBW in the first test where the ball hit him on the top of the hip and not one fieldsman behind the wicket appealed. He then received another shocker in the second dig to record a pair.

Any old-timers who tell you that English umpires have always been the best of the lot are talking bs.

Last edited:

Deja moo

nick-o said:
In the run-up to the next Ashes series, where the position of World No. 1 will be decided, these are the series scheduled:

England:

3 tests v Pakistan in Pakistan
3 tests v India in India
3 tests v Sri Lanka in England
4 tests v Pakistan in England

Australia:

3 tests v W Indies in Australia
3 tests v S Africa in Australia
3 tests v S Africa in S Africa
2 tests v Bangladesh in Bangladesh
series v Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe (unconfirmed)
series v New Zealand in Australia (unconfirmed)

Who has the better schedule?.

I reckon:

a) England will come into the next Ashes having played better opposition and be better prepared, whereas Australia, whose year will revolve around Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, will be less ready for a fight;

and b) Australia will have played too much too often.

What you reckon?
So you're absolutely sure of that ?

Linda

It amazes me that we're fitting in 6 Tests this summer, not to mention the Super Series Test.

wpdavid

social said:
Having watched that series, I can tell you that they were absolutely butchered by the English umps in that series.

Imran and, in particular, Abdul Qadir could not buy a decision whilst some of the English wickets were, shall we say, dubious.

I particularly remember Botham getting Nazar (who had scored 1000 runs before the end of May) LBW in the first test where the ball hit him on the top of the hip and not one fieldsman behind the wicket appealed. He then received another shocker in the second dig to record a pair.

Any old-timers who tell you that English umpires have always been the best of the lot are talking bs.
Perhaps you heard they were the best of a bad lot. Without wanting to exhume some unedifying arguments from years ago, the general feeling over here was that our guys were badly done by Shakeel Khan, Shakoor Rana, and co whenever we toured your neck of the woods. But, yes, I knew that the Pakistanis had strong feelings about 1982, and that those spilled over into the two series in 1987.