• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

14th June - 1st Semi-final - England v Pakistan

honestbharani

This is about as far from a choke as it gets. It's an all out start-to-finish mullering.

Edit: Pasting has already been used, suitably.

TBF, this is very much a choke along the lines of South Africa in the game against India, or to go for the more famous example, India against Australia in the 2003 WC finals. The sides got mauled/pasted/battered etc etc. but the fact remains that they showed obvious nerves on the day of the big game which meant they were playing slightly different style of cricket than what they normally do. It all unravels quickly after that, as any Indian fan will tell you from sad experience.

YorksLanka

Congrats to Pakistan on a fairly comprehensive win today.great result for them considering that amir was injured too! Thought England had a brilliant tournament too and we'll done England too.

honestbharani

I did expect a hard game for England today, possibly the toughest they will face in the tournament simply because of how this Pak team is set up. They need to bowl sides out to win games and that just makes for such entertaining viewing. Also tells you how well Rohit and Dhawan batted in the first game. This is not an easy bowling line up to conquer and they will make all the difference again in the finals, either in a good way or a bad way for Pakistan.

I am surely not convinced of Zaman or Ashraf or the new guys they have brought in but at the very least, the theoretical elongated batting line up gives the freedom to some of these batsmen to try and be more adventurous early on. Zaman was jammy as hell but its funny that with that upright stance and cutting on top of the ball with the huge batswing, English bowlers never once tried the full straight and fast route, even though they have the pace to do that. He looks worse than Moeen Ali against the short ball but that led to England trying a high risk strategy to get him out. And funny how Hafeez was able to come in and start scoring fast straightaway in a game like this while he seems to freeze in other important games. If Pakistan can sort out of their #4, they will become a very good ODI side, capable of being in the top 4 or 5 for sure, even with their current handicaps in terms of the style of cricket they are comfortable with.

Woodster

TBF, this is very much a choke along the lines of South Africa in the game against India, or to go for the more famous example, India against Australia in the 2003 WC finals. The sides got mauled/pasted/battered etc etc. but the fact remains that they showed obvious nerves on the day of the big game which meant they were playing slightly different style of cricket than what they normally do. It all unravels quickly after that, as any Indian fan will tell you from sad experience.
Not sure you call it anything other than a bad day for England and an excellent performance from Pakistan. Doesn't really matter whether it was a 'choke' or not, we've just not turned up today which can happen at any time during a tournament.

honestbharani

Well, I just meant the nerves got to them at the start of the game... Its not a choke as in you lose from a winning position.. But a choke as in you forget to do what makes you tick at the start of a big game due to nerves.

Black_Warrior

From a team struggling to qualify for the Champions Trophy, that was mocked and criticized and never given a chance by all an sundry, the lowest ranked team of the tournament is now in the finals of said tournament. This tournament has been truly incredible and special even by Pakistan standards.

Woodster

Well, I just meant the nerves got to them at the start of the game... Its not a choke as in you lose from a winning position.. But a choke as in you forget to do what makes you tick at the start of a big game due to nerves.
I think the start of the game was the only time we were relatively on top. Hales can sometimes give it away in the style he did, but Root and Bairstow looked solid and ticked it over fairly risk free, 80ish for 1 off 16 wasn't an electric start but was steady enough when we probably had a target of about 260 in mind.

honestbharani

I think the start of the game was the only time we were relatively on top. Hales can sometimes give it away in the style he did, but Root and Bairstow looked solid and ticked it over fairly risk free, 80ish for 1 off 16 wasn't an electric start but was steady enough when we probably had a target of about 260 in mind.

Well, its stupid to go back and forth over it as it seems to be a perception difference here but for me, it showed that they were not playing the style of cricket they want to play normally.

S.Kennedy

I say this as a Durham fan and somebody who likes Stokes but Stokes can be sprayed around the field in limited overs' matches. He is a much better first-class bowler whereby he can concentrate on wicket taking and reverse swing later comes into play. In limited overs his economy is all over the place.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
What a pleasant surprise. From conceding 444 to a similar english side not too long ago and then rolling them out for less than half that score. Quite unexpected

But well played Pakistan. Its been a while

ankitj

What got into Pakistan after that first game? I felt sorry for them after the thrashing against India. Hassan Ali a great find. Certainly the bowler of the tournament.

S.Kennedy

I'm wanting a Pak v Bang finale, with the Bangladeshi winning the thing although I wouldn't mind Pakistan winning. Would hate an Indian victory.