• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimbo

war is peace
ignorance is strength
freedom is slavery

dumdeedumdumdum...
yea... think about it

Kimbo

the book 1984 by george owell is where these slogans come from. i haven't actually read it but that what i heard and have since thought a lot about them... especially freedom is slavery

its all so true

Kimbo

i read about it in a book called "the new rulers of the world"
it was talking about slogans in society. it said that todays slogan "war on terrorism" also reverses meaning- the war is terrorism.
anyway, so far its a really good book, i recommend it.

Anoop

1984 ... what an year!! It even has a famous book named after it.. and what's more Anoop was born that year!! :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yer Uncle Ed says read it.
1984 (and Animal Farm) are not only terrific reads, but have deep inner messages and warnings about the dangers of totalitarianism and the erosion of free will.

I will discuss 'War is Peace' here . .
Three superstates exist, all perpetually at war with each other (although temporary alliances sometimes exist). No-one can win. Is the war real? It doesn't really matter, because it serves it's purpose - that is, to pacify the proletariat and unite them. War abroad = peace at home (and the party can continue on it's merry way).

Kimbo

ah yes... thanks for that... i got this from "freedom is slavery"

the freedom of the west comes at the price of slavery for the rest of the world. the rest of the world is slaving away for our "freedom". they produce goods that are of no use to them, grow crops dependant on our needs, and what do they get... well many die, and the rest get a couple of bucks a day.

MrPerko

"Freedom is slavery"....

Couldn't agree more, Sunil.

P.S. George Orwell's books are fantasic... throughly recommend.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Animal Farm , dont remind me about it we are doing that in english we read it 5 times and now we have to do an essay on it ....

Anoop

well.. Rueben.. I had to do Shakespear's "Merchant of Venice" and "The Tempest" .. The torture is nothing compared to "Animal Farm".. That atleast is in English!! :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
And when you have finished with 1984 and Animal Farm, it's on to 'Down and Out in Paris and London'.

Status
Not open for further replies.