• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ABC's “Primetime: What Would You Do?”

Turbinator

I am not sure if any of you have come across this show, but it certainly brings forth some intriguing reactions and certainly worth a watch. I came across one particular episode investigating Islamophobic attitudes in America.

Defending the rights of a Hijab-wearing Muslimah: What would you do?

Now, I'm pretty much aware of the existence of such attitudes as I have quite a few Muslim friends who themselves have experienced such incidents in southern US (although I must clarify it is rare as far as I know), but would be interesting to hear from Pakistanis and Muslims, such as Fusion who lives in Texas, whether they've encountered such reactions.

There's some other very interesting episodes from this show as well, some of you might be interested to check them out.

Anti-Semitism on the Rise? ABC Primetime asks, "What Would You Do?"

What Would You Do? Racism In An Upscale Store

What Would You Do? - ABC News - A Young Girl in Danger

Turbinator

Maybe we can even get a few honest responses from some people here as to what they would do in such situations :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Personally, I've almost never experienced anything like the stuff in the videos, but it's probably different for men and women who do traditionally wear religious/ethnic clothes.

salman85

It depends on where it happens TBH.A lot of times people would rather stay quiet than say anything,and i think that's got more to do with looking like the odd one out.For example in this video,most of the customers who didn't react were probably afraid to take sides with the Muslim woman,even if they wanted to deep down.

Ideally,you should stand up in the face of discrimination and injustice,regardless of whether you're a victim of it or see it happening around you.But it's definitely easier said than done.If you see injustice against a minority,then you're more likely to stay shut because of the fear of repercussion by the majority,whereas if you see injustice against the majority,you're more likely to make yourself heard because the fear of repercussion is considerably lowered.I've never faced discrimination as a Muslim because I've lived all my life in Pakistan,but there are various minorities here who are discriminated against.The Ahmadiya community for example,a who belong to a sect in Islam that most Muslims don't accept because their belief system is incorrect.I have friends from that sect, I've also had Christian and Hindu friends in Pakistan.I've never seen discrimination against them of the kind seen in this video,but whenever we have a discussion on religion and some idiot slams different religious beliefs,i do speak out in their defense,but doing that publicly is completely different and I've never encountered a situation like that.It's definitely not something easy and not something everyone would do.Staying quiet is the easier and safer option as far as an individual is concerned,and that is the route most people will take.

I must say,it was touching to see those two girls towards the end defend the muslim woman.The blonde was rather cute too :D

Last edited: