• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adrian Chiles brings you the coverage complaints thread

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Shearer (chuckling): Ecuador created more in the 2nd half with 10 men than they did in the first half with 11.

Lineker said literally exactly the same sentence about a minute before. Not an original thought in that bald napper of his. ****.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah this got me. He plays in the Premier League every week ffs. Not exactly some Eastern European playing in an obscure league.
It really bugs me when Glenn Hoddle keeps saying "Sorry, can't pronounce his name" when referring to players like Riojas.

It's not difficult you freaking idiot, you just replace the j with an h. All of the sounds you need to say his name are ones you use daily in ordinary English.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dixon keeps banging on about how unimpressed he's been by Belgium.

It's as if they're a team full of players who have had crap seasons for their clubs...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
'Oh his foot was just offside' - no, this is where benefit of the doubt comes into it.

That rule needs changed anyway. If any part of a player's body is in line it should be onside.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was listening to the World Cup edition of World Football Phone In on 5Live last night, and Dotun Adebayo is just terrible.

I know this isn't a particularly novel opinion, and that by his own admission he's far from an expert on football, but he really is so bad.

Pothas

I love him.

I do find it rather extraordinary that he has been doing that show for over a decade and has still not really learnt anything about football but he is just part of the show, would not be anything like as fun without him.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm not sure why they feel the name to say both of his names anyway to be honest, regardless of how you pronounce his given name. Why can't they just call him Rodriguez?
Because of Cristian Rodriguez. Which is fair enough IMO. Same reason some commentators called Diego (Ribas) during Atletico's CL games because there were multiple others called Diego in the side. I hope that's the case anyway.

Doesn't excuse the butchering of it though, obvs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Maybe, but it's not even like they were on the same team. In any case, I don't think this is the only game in which commentators have been doing this.

Tom Halsey

Calling him James Rodriguez with James pronounced as in the English pronunciation really was just ****ing dire. At least make some attempt ffs.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I've always though Tyldesley was quite good with pronunciation and researching players, so was surprised. Not like he's some obscure player no one's ever heard pronounced either.

Johnners

We got this gem from Željko Kalac during the break between full-time & the start of extra time in the Brazil/Chile game, "I tell you what, the first goal, if we get a goal in extra-time, the first goal is gonna be absolutely crucial"

How they **** can we not find someone better than this clown for "expert analysis". Surprised SBS even want to be associated with him after the whole dodgy bankruptcy thing as well.

Pothas

Hoddle not had a good tournament, normally don't mind him all that much on Sky.

Clark Carlisle is growing on me a bit and I do enjoy Furball's favourite.