• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An ideal World Cup for you

PY

What would be everyones ideal World Cup? ie Nations to win it and nations to majorly flop. Players to succeed or maybe completely fail miserably?.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No trouble at any games, all going ahead at the venues given.

Good Cricket and the best team winning.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Super Six teams

1.SA
2.Aus
3.Eng
4.Zim
5.NZ
6.Pak

A final SA v Aus.

Glenn McGrath and Hayden at the wicket needing 9 to win. In the pandemonium, McGrath does not hear Hayden's call, drops his bat and the bowler throws calmly two a group of jubilant south Africans who run him out.

Sound Familiar :lol:

Hits!

Anyone South African, especially Allan Donald
Mark Vermeulen, Andy Flower, Heath Streak
I would like to see Namibia, Holland and Kenya really question Bangladesh's right to test status
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Glenn McGrath
Chris Gayle
Waqar Younis
Shane Warne

Flops!
Steve Harmison

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In reality...

No match-fixing, no crowd trouble, all the games take place when and where they ought to, no rain, no injuries to players, loads of incredibly close finishes, double centuries and five-fers. And England winning, and India and Australia not scoring a run or taking a wicket :D (leaving reality now... :))

Leaving reality far behind...

I get a shock England call up after Chris Hinton becomes chairman of selectors, and it becomes compulsory to have one leg-spinner in the squad. All the other leggies were injured/unavailable, and any allegations of malpractice in the passport office are unfounded.

England cruise into the semis, I don't play any games until the Chairman decides that one leggie must play, and Hussain doesn't count. Happily, in the semi-final, Trescothick and Knight both hit unbeaten 200s against India as England race to 438/0. Matthew Hoggard then takes all 10 Indian wickets to fall as England win by 2 runs, Steve Harmison having bowled a 442-ball over previously.

In the final against Australia, however, it's a different story. Hayden and Gilchrist get off to a flyer, and after 22 overs the Australians are 168/0, when at the drinks break a note appears to Nasser Hussain...

Hoggard Crap. Give leg Spinner chance. All other Bowlers Crap.
Reluctantly, I run on to bowl. My first ball nearly kills the square leg umpire. The next one flies over the batsman's head for four byes, but the next one, pitching one third of the way down the track, is slogged skywards by Gilchrist. Straight Up. Five minutes later, the batsman have run 38, but the ball comes down to Stewart's hands, and England have a break through.

In a succession of mis-hooks, slogs and terrible LBW decisions from Russell Tiffin (no, I don't know why he's standing in a World Cup Final. But reality died long ago), Australia collapse to 217 all out, with me taking 10/39 off 3.3 overs.

The run chase began poorly, and England slid to 108/5 before Andy Flintoff and Ian Blackwell led the comeback, patiently guiding England to 210/5, before four wickets fell for five runs in three overs.

49.4 overs, 215/9, MJ Hoggard 0* (facing), NS Pickup 0*
B Lee 9.4-3-28-3

49.5 Lee to Hoggard, one run, clips it off his pads to square leg where Harvey gathers to prevent more than a single

49.6 Lee to Pickup, full length yorker, the batsman doesn't have the time to start his backswing before the ball reaches him, it strikes the edge and zips towards Gilchrist diving right. Hoggard charging up the pitch screams, "RUN!" and I charge down towards the bowlers end. The ball clips the glove off Gilchrist's despairing dive and goes to ground. First Slip Shane Warne picks it up and pelts it towards the bowler's end stumps. My desperate dive with the bat in front of me scrapes the line fractionally before the bails come off.

Tiffin calls the TV umpire, and what seems like hours go by, after 19 minutes and 38 seconds of deliberation by third umpire Simon Taufel, the benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman and...

ENGLAND WIN THE WORLD CUP!

Eclipse

lol.

ohh if Harmison bowled a 442 ball over 436 of them would have to be wides or No balls so India would have won.

masterblaster

Yeah well, all the games to be played in good competitive spirit. No political or cricketing scandals.

India to beat most teams, including Pakistan and Australia and to eventually win the World Cup.

Thats my dream world cup.

age_master

everyone plays to potential -

England Get hammered every game except when Vaughn and knight make tons and Anderson takes 8 or 9 wickets ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
lol.

ohh if Harmison bowled a 442 ball over 436 of them would have to be wides or No balls so India would have won.
Not necessarily.

Hoggard first over, 6 wickets.
Harmison second over 436-6
Hoggard finishes it off with 4 in 4.

Bazza

Well I think Neil got carried away. I would settle for England winning, with the super 6 comprising of BAN, KEN, NAM, CAN, HOL!

Also if we could break every record in the book - high score, partnerships, best bwoling, margin of victory, etc.

OK I'm starting to get carried away as well now. England winning will do me fine.

Gotchya

One thing that I wont want in the World cup is domination of bat or ball. That happened in England where the ball won the contest by a far margin.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Centuries by:

Lara
Sarwan
Gayle
Samuels (if reinstated)
Jacobs (he deserves one before his career ends)
Vaughan (due)
Trescothick (due)
Klusener (overdue)

5-vers by:

Dillon v SA
Hoggard v any decent team
Anderson v anyone at all
Lara v Canada :)

Final
WI v Aus

Winner: Cricket! :)

Man of the Match: Sarwan
Man of the Cup: Sarwan/Lara

PY

Quality work but yet again I would like to stress that you should probably find a hobby :lol:

Eyes_Only

Neil Pickup said:

Tiffin calls the TV umpire, and what seems like hours go by, after 19 minutes and 38 seconds of deliberation by third umpire Simon Taufel, the benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman and...

ENGLAND WIN THE WORLD CUP!
:D :D :D

My ideal World Cup would be free of any crowd trouble or dissent shown by players to the umpires.

It would end with a huge Aussie win and Simon's elevation to the Elite Panel in place of Daryl Harper (where he should have been all along!! :P)

Last edited: