• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Applying for a job

Jakester1288

Ok, I'm 14, and I'm considering going for my first job, seeing as it's the holidays. I was wondering, what should I do regarding it? What should I have in my resume? Should I just go in and ask for a job, or should I go about it some other way?

I'd appreciate if you guys can keep the crap out of this thread, as it is intended to be serious. Thanks.

howardj

Mate, best to contact the place that you want to apply to and ask them for an application form/selection criteria and any other requirements.

Smudge

Seeing as it's your first job, you can't put a heck of a lot in a resume. From posts you've made in the past, it sounds like you live on a farm, or something like that, so mention the work you do for your parent/s (outside the normal kids' chores like washing dishes etc). Mention your interests, what your strengths are at school (don't mention lunch) and what your long-term goals are, career-wise (even if you aren't really sure, fluff this). Any community or voluntary work you've done, too.

In the cover letter, mention why you think you're suited to the job.

Mr Casson

When you're 14, any job you're qualified to do just requires that you have a good attitude.

If you just spout some crap about being keen to learn etc. etc. you'll be hired - all they want is cheap labour anyway, and the person who can provide that with the least amount of complaining generally wins themselves a shiny new job.

Jakester1288

Seeing as it's your first job, you can't put a heck of a lot in a resume. From posts you've made in the past, it sounds like you live on a farm, or something like that, so mention the work you do for your parent/s (outside the normal kids' chores like washing dishes etc). Mention your interests, what your strengths are at school (don't mention lunch) and what your long-term goals are, career-wise (even if you aren't really sure, fluff this). Any community or voluntary work you've done, too.

In the cover letter, mention why you think you're suited to the job.
Cheers mate. Should I mention that I plan on getting into mechanics even though it's got nothing to do with working in a retail store?

I've got this in my resume:
Current Career Objective
Education & Qualifications
Personal Attributes
Achievements (**** like cricket teams and being captain, keep or discard?)
Hobbies & Interests
References/referees

Good? Anything that should be changed?

Also how should I go about the cover letter? I don't really understand it, is it just a page on why I think I should get the job?

Smudge

Yep, they won't be expecting you to be there until you're 65, so no harm in mentioning what you want to get into at a later date.

And yep - cover letter is pretty much why they should hire you.

Mr Casson

I always think it's better to leave out hobbies and interests if they're not relevant to the job, especially for casual work. They add nothing, and some people may see you as being less available and/or committed to the job if they know you play 3 sports on the weekend.

Jakester1288

Ok, should I keep/change this?

Achievements:
• participated in the Leukaemia Foundation Shave for a Cure
• participated in the 2008 Westpac Rescue Helicopter doorknock appeal
• part of the 2007/08 and 2009/10 Coffs Harbour representative Cricket side for Mid North Coast
• part of the Kororo Public School cricket team in 2006 & 2007
• Captain of the 2009 and 2010 Woolgoolga High School Under 14/s cricket team

It's not exactly great, not a long list either. Just about all I've acheived. :(

Edit: Especially as it's outdated as well.

Edit 2: I've got my school awards under my schools, should I keep it there or move it to Achievements?

Last edited:

Burgey

Good luck with it mate. Turn up well presented in appropriate clothes, display a positive attitude and I reckon you stand a decent chance.

When you're being interviews (if you are) don't get fidgety if at all possible.

All the best.

Adamc

If you're 14 no one is actually going to read your resume. No one that age is going to get hired on the basis of their fantastic resume, but you probably won't be hired if you have an awful one (or if you don't have one at all; it's a basic requirement so don't act surprised when you're asked for one). As long as it looks as though you've made an effort (i.e. don't write it in crayon; spell things correctly; DON'T GIVE ME TWENTY SHEETS OF PAPER IN SIZE 30 FONT THAT AREN'T EVEN ****ING STAPLED TOGETHER) you'll have done enough to not be ignored. You would be surprised how many people struggle with this. Far more important to make a good impression in an interview if you get one.

Last edited:

Jakester1288

Alright, got mum to read over it and she doesn't see much wrong with it. She should give it a touch up and print out a couple of copies and when she goes to do the shopping on Sunday or whenever I'll run in and see what they think.

Cheers guys.

GotSpin

Just go asking everywhere.

I'm doing the same thing when there's no surf. Getting fairly poor. I haven't worked since November

Noble One

I imagine most schools have a career guidance officer or similar. It would be a good idea to let them have a read over the resume.

It is incredible how bad some resumes can be. Keep it concise, mention only what the potential employer needs to read and keep it reasonably honest and you will be fine.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good luck Jake. Is the store currently looking for people? Is it a sports store?

I wouldn't mention part of the Kororo Public School cricket team in 2006 & 2007 I don't think it's necessary. Mentioning the rep team and the captaincy is okay though.

Steulen

Dear me, you're expected to actually apply for a holiday job at 14 including a CV and cover letter? Geez...just turn up and they'll give you the spade/cleaning utensils/clipboard I'd say.

Actually, your CV is pretty impressive, no need for unsmilies there. Employers will love stuff like being the cricket captain, it shows a will to lead and be responsible and other business crappacino.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1. Work on your gag reflex.

Everything else should fall into place.

Somebody was going to.

Jakester1288

Good luck Jake. Is the store currently looking for people? Is it a sports store?

I wouldn't mention part of the Kororo Public School cricket team in 2006 & 2007 I don't think it's necessary. Mentioning the rep team and the captaincy is okay though.
I'm not sure, and no. There is a sports store I'm thinking about going to, but it's a fair way away from where we are, lots of traveling.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, you don't really need a resume at your age. Just show up, well dressed (not suit-tie but a decent button-down shirt, and khaki pants). And you should try to find a job that is close. You won't be paid much - there is no sense wasting hours travelling, working close for those extra couple hours would be better.

Jakester1288

Yea, you don't really need a resume at your age. Just show up, well dressed (not suit-tie but a decent button-down shirt, and khaki pants). And you should try to find a job that is close. You won't be paid much - there is no sense wasting hours travelling, working close for those extra couple hours would be better.
I'm pretty sure I'll need a resume mate, but otherwise yeah, agreed.