• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England really favourites for CT17?

mackembhoy

Did I miss us winning it already?
This thread is questioning the view that England are favourites.

3 convincing wins would suggest the view is correct.

My post was obviously tongue in cheek. I also mention at the minute, implying the present.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The betting sites are making harakiri. South Africa is clear favorite. I'd keep England at no. 4 or 5 - definitely after Australia, India and maybe even NZ too. England's pace attack is one-dimensional. In the modern ODI game you need yorkers, slower balls, bouncers, cutters, knuckle balls. Their spinners are nothing special. Batting is the only special thing they have - perhaps 2nd best after South Africa.
Stunning.

I really hope you bet big on South Africa.

honestbharani

I dont think they were over rated. I just think they under performed, which can happen in a tournament like this. You have two off days and you are out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I dont think they were over rated. I just think they under performed, which can happen in a tournament like this. You have two off days and you are out.
It's happened on here constantly for about 5 years in ODI cricket.

People take a look at South Africa's really gun players (who to be fair are amongst the best in the business) and declare that they're the best team ever. Or look at Test performances and extrapolate that to presumed ODI greatness (this happens a lot with their bowling attack)

Cricket's a game where weaknesses matter as much as strengths do, it's far more individual than a lot of team sports, and South Africa have capped a lot of utter dross in that time.

Adders

This thread is questioning the view that England are favourites.

3 convincing wins would suggest the view is correct.

My post was obviously tongue in cheek. I also mention at the minute, implying the present.
Look this was a shite thread from the outset and anyone who has watched Englands ODI performances over the last 18 months or so would know they were going to be in the mix for this comp at home. Whether they were genuine favourites at the start of the comp was definitely open for debate though.

There has been some ridiculous underrating of the England team throughout this thread, but calling "ner ner ner ner....I told you so" is ****ing premature when they've only just passed the group stage FFS.

Top_Cat

Cricket's a game where weaknesses matter as much as strengths do, it's far more individual than a lot of team sports, and South Africa have capped a lot of utter dross in that time.
In this vein, I think people still look at a line-up including Plunkett and assume it's weak.

Last edited:

mackembhoy

Look this was a shite thread from the outset and anyone who has watched Englands ODI performances over the last 18 months or so would know they were going to be in the mix for this comp at home. Whether they were genuine favourites at the start of the comp was definitely open for debate though.

There has been some ridiculous underrating of the England team throughout this thread, but calling "ner ner ner ner....I told you so" is ****ing premature when they've only just passed the group stage FFS.
It wasn't really serious though. It was more in keeping with the thread of outlandish behaviour.

Sarcasm doesn't always come across in the written form. But I clarified that in the post saying I was being tongue in cheek.

We'll probably **** up against India.

Adders

It wasn't really serious though. It was more in keeping with the thread of outlandish behaviour.

Sarcasm doesn't always come across in the written form. But I clarified that in the post saying I was being tongue in cheek.

We'll probably **** up against India.
If we do I'm going to be blaming you :ph34r: Just ask Howsie what happens when you get cocky about your team:laugh:

Nah just joking, fair enough if you were just entering into the spirit of shiteness that began this thread.

theegyptian

Think India went marginal favourites once they beat SA. First time England haven't been favourites since the start of the tournament in my book.

Tournament seems to be closely following the 2013 version. Aus knocked out with rain an important factor, Weather turning warmer, used wickets bringing in asian teams. Good chance it's Eng Ind in the final again. WIcket should favour India again.

honestbharani

I dont think the weather favored India at all last time in the finals. It was a T20 game after the showers. Just think the softness caused by the moisture was exploited well by our spinners than even your pacers.

EDIT: Should add, if it was the same scenario this time, even if the weather stays good and warm and lets our spinners come into play more, I would expect this England side to still start favorites. They are light years ahead of the 2013 England ODI side and we barely got on top of them.

Last edited:

weldone

LOL, I can't believe you bet on pakistan today
I don't rate England ODI pace attack AT ALL. And I'm a big fan of the Amir-Hasan-Junaid pace combo (Amir's injury wasn't public news when I decided). Betting sites gave Pakistan a 27% chance but I thought they had much better chance - somewhere around 40%.

weldone

Time for English fans to go back to 'Test cricket is the only cricket. ODIs don't matter.' mode. Thanks for playing.