• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia VS INDIA!!!

krkode

marc71178 said:
My point is though that India would really welcome a Flintoff or White into their side at the moment - easily better all rounders than they have.
Absolutely! Agreed 100% :)

You also come to cricketgames.com, don't you? :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
A small point, but if teams are level, first it's on wins, and second on result between the equal sides.

NRR only comes in then.
Has the rule changed since the last WC? Last time, it was NRR first and then result between sides.

If I'm not mistaken, that's how NZ went through to the Super 6 ahead of WI. WI soundly beat NZ in their group game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Has the rule changed since the last WC? Last time, it was NRR first and then result between sides.

If I'm not mistaken, that's how NZ went through to the Super 6 ahead of WI. WI soundly beat NZ in their group game.
Yes, the rules have changed.

Also I'm a bit surprised at the removing of bonus points.

Rik

luckyeddie said:
I've never been convinced by Flintoff.

His hoick selection (sorry, that should read 'shot selection') often leaves a lot to be desired - today being a prime example.
Flintoff has a big future as a ODI player, attacking batsman who comes off most of the time and gives the side that attacking option, and also a bowler who really thumps it into the pitch and can get a lot of bounce. He can also be dead straight in the final overs. However, in Test matches, I am not impressed. He can hit a few nice boundaries then get out playing a silly shot or exposing a technical flaw, true he can score quickly but with a big 100 yet an average of under 20, that's not good enough. Also I know his bowling was hindered by the fact that he was injured last season and was playing through the pain...but his bowling has never been destructive in Tests, it's usually been economical but the fact that he rarely swings the ball and mostly relies on bounce works against him. If he was Harmison's pace then he could get away with it, but if we want a thump the ball into the pitch bowler then call on Harmison, he would probably score more too, or Caddick...who can actually swing it and is better anyway.

Flintoff...his batting will be an enigma in Tests, his bowling...just not threatening enough.

Actually I remember a quote from a Surrey player about Ben Hollioake, I think it was his brother Adam in 2000 when Ben was going through one of those seasons which usually make people retire (batting average 11, bowling around 40): "Ben's a good bowler but he bowls too many bad balls, once he sorts them out he will be a good bowler." Oh...I didn't realise it was that simple :rolleyes:

anzac

oh dear - I see Australia have taken up where NZ left off .....can't blame seaming green tops / doctored pitches now:lol: :lol: :lol:

full_length

Yeah nobody can. Where are you hiding Tuffey nowadays :D

It's nice to see 'the unplayables' belted around the park. First Sanath, SriLanka, now Smith, Gibbs, Klusener,..

All credit to the NZ batsmen that they came out firing.
It'll be nice to compare the averages ;)

Tim

I've said it before & i'll say it again.
Tuffey will never be good outside of NZ.

And as for the other unplayable, Jacob Oram he's done excellent except for the game yesterday where all bowlers took a hiding.

So really its just Daryl Tuffey who's got problems.

anzac

I don't think Tuffey was as bad as everyone has made out v SL - none of the bowlers did well & Adams appeared more out of sorts. If you think about it Tuffey should have had Jayasuriya given out caught behind, which would have made a major difference to the match and his confidence.

I think he has been labelled as a problem off shore as a result of previous tours (with some justification), and is also the most 'expendable' of the seamers as he does not have the batting skill to back up his role as a 'strike' bowler.

However I think it is wrong to hang him out to dry after one match, and I would not be surprised to see both him & Mills bowl in one of the remaining pool games - both to 'rest' the likes of Adams / Oram & to see if they have any form to offer for the Super Six. I also expect to see Cairns bowl in the remaining pool games to also evalutate his & selection options for Super Six etc.

Unless they have some injury concerns I do not expect Carins, or Bond to be 'rested' as both need to find some form / confidence with the ball. Styris could be 'rested' to make way for Sinclair to come in, alternatively they may decide to rest Astle to give his groin further recovery time.

:)