• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Bolo

I was just referring to this bit...

They have to get off the plane together, he's not going to go by himself and then leave her to walk out later.
Ah, gotcha. I thought you were suggesting she was there for part and had flown home earlier for some reason. Makes my first two paragraphs irrelevant if this is the case.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I won't lie - I got a lot of pleasure from this episode. It was hilarious to me, especially given the hypocrisy and the ridiculous mythos that surrounds the Aussie cricket team. But this has gotten way out of hand and now I just feel badly for Smith and Bancroft (not so much for Lehmann or Warner).

Smith is such a fantastic bat, but this will tarnish his legacy forever and I don't think that's fair. I definitely think more people knew and I don't believe it was the first time but the recent conference that Smith had was completely heartbreaking. I do think it was genuine and it's ridiculous that it has gotten this far over such a small ridiculous thing.

Spark

Global Moderator
That would require actually taking the Shield seriously as opposed to just a pool of potential Test selections.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That would require actually taking the Shield seriously as opposed to just a pool of potential Test selections.
Heard some things about Pat Howard from a good source that back this up, and maybe even further highlight the issues around how the Shield is perceived. Post it another time though.

Borges

Marcus North thinks they should've been allowed to play in the Sheffield Shield.
Would have improved the quality of cricket in the Sheffield Shield.

Plus all the remaining Aussie fans who somehow missed out on the blood-letting would get an opportunity to go to the ground and throw mud balls at them.

Shri

Laxman:

Pretty much everyone's behind Smith at least for the bs way CA have handled this. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets his ban reduced.

Spikey

of course they should have been allowed to play domestic cricket

they also probably should not have been sentenced a day after their investigation ended

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They should also been allowed to play international cricket. Let's be real. Loss of captaincy, maybe a few games suspension because it was a premeditated conspiracy but this is so over the top.

Burgey

Heard some things about Pat Howard from a good source that back this up, and maybe even further highlight the issues around how the Shield is perceived. Post it another time though.
Macca. What are you doing posting at that hour? Big game, early night mate.

S.Kennedy

Well, it is better than nothing, surely? Or as they would say in the north, it is better than nowt?

The consensus also seems to be that it would've been impossible for the seamers to not know, and therefore Smith and co. sacrificed themselves for the team.

Gnske

The consensus sucks, lets wait to explode in hate at Warner later today before we dirty anyone else's good reputation

Shady Slim

it saddens me to see smith and bancroft the way they are but i still think the bans are fair - but by the same token i’m all for welcoming them back in to the fold when their bans are over

Shady Slim

also i have an hour and fifty minute long train ride to uni so i did this, it’s tongue in cheek so if u take it seriously ur a nerd

day three at cape town as the saffer blokes batted
the aussies were bruisin and feelin quite battered
smith turned to the boys and he said “lads... this has got to stohhhhh-ohhhhh-op...”
davey looked at the team and he said with a smile
“well i’ve got a plan and it’s certainly vile
and it’s for my rookie partner who bats with me up at the tohhhhhhhh-ohhhhhhh-op...
i love my cardoons but i hate de kock
we’ll take some sandpaper and rough up the rock
and faf and ab and hashim and big vern
won’t know what hits em when the meeting adjourns”
smith looked at davey, gave him a fist pump
“karmic retribution for the rabada bump”
he looked at cam bancroft adjusting his pants
“i think you’re right davey, and this is our chance!”

[prechorus1]
malcolm weighed in and he called it disgraceful
and for a man of smith’s talent it’s certainly wasteful
the ball that they used didn’t even reverse swing at aaaaa-aaaa-allllll
at all

[chorus]
when cam took sandpaper and put it in his pocket
aussie cricket went down like an 80s commie rocket
and everybody said “stevie’s got to step down”
and while it wasn’t funny he looked like a clown
shahid took a bite, and though that was ridiculous
sandpaper pants are just as conspicuous
sandpaper pants are just as conspicuous
ohhhhh

when cam got pulled over, pulled out the black cloth
uzzie’s dropping them at gully, languid like a sloth
and markram took the lead well out of the reach of the boyyyyyyyyyys...
the details are messy, there was a walkie talkie
and bancroft told nigel the ump a big porkie
the man who averaged sixty, suddenly lost all of his poiiiiiiiiiiise...
“we played with the ball, tried to get it to hoop
the mysterious and omniscient leadership group
but boof’s in the clear and so is cam b
this one is mainly on davey and me”
the powers that be took action and they were stood down
and renshaw was flown to johannesburg town
tim paine was named skipper of a damned sinking ship
as morkel took five and saf tightened their grip

[prechorus 2]
big starcy and hazlewood pleaded the fifth
it came out that it was all davey’s big grift
the ball that they used didn’t even reverse swing at aaaaa-aaaa-allllll