• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Midwinter

One thing that a lot of people, mainly outside of Australia are confusing is the reason for the suspension by CA and the penalty for the actual ball tampering by the ICC.

A lot of you haven't attended a test match in Australia and been bombarded by messages on the scoreboard by Smith and Warner and other senior players about the types of behaviour that won't be tolerated by Cricket Australia.

This is what the suspension is about.
They have made a mockery of Cricket Australia policys and CA has portrayed as roles models people who have cheated and lied.

YMMV

Borges

One thing that a lot of people, mainly outside of Australia are confusing is the reason for the suspension by CA and the penalty for the actual ball tampering by the ICC.

A lot of you haven't attended a test match in Australia and been bombarded by messages on the scoreboard by Smith and Warner and other senior players about the types of behaviour that won't be tolerated by Cricket Australia.

This is what the suspension is about.
They have made a mockery of Cricket Australia policys and CA has portrayed as roles models people who have cheated and lied.

YMMV
So it would appear that the players are being punished because the bigwigs at CA were gullible enough to believe their own advertising.

Midwinter

So it would appear that the players are being punished because the bigwigs at CA were gullible enough to believe their own advertising.

Gullible enough to believe that senior players who have been part of academy programs and pathway programs their whole careers and actually deliver the messages shown at cricket grounds would abide by CA's code of conduct.

And gullible enough to believe that the captain and vice captain of the test team would not lie and cheat.

Last edited:

Borges

Gullible enough to believe that senior players who have been part of academy programs and pathway programs their whole careers and actually deliver the messages shown at cricket grounds would abide by CA's code of conduct.

And gullible enough to believe that the captain and vice captain of the test team would not lie and cheat.
I do understand and empathise with your sentiments; I'm really sorry that what I said was somewhat flippant and certainly harsh.

I've no disagreement at all with the Australian cricket fan who believes that the captain, the vice captain and other members of the national test team must set very high standards.

Part of what I said was because of my frustration at the utterly absurd situation that has arisen. Let me explain:

Everything that I know about cricket tells me that, even in these days of coaches with walkie-talkies, the captain is in absolute command of the team on the field; a gentle 'no' from the captain is all that is required to put an immediate stop to any nonsense.

So here we have the captain, the vice-captain and a rookie doing something that they should not have done; and the captain and the rookie compound their mistake my lying about it. Later, the captain comes before the cameras and cries in a very nice manner; in stark contrast to the vice-captain who did not cry in as effective a manner. The whole world now turns around, cries along with the captain, and concludes that the entire responsibility for this sorry adventure must lie with the vice-captain of the team.

I apologise once again for my earlier comment which must have been hurtful.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There does not seem to be anything detrimental to them playing county cricket, but Somerset terminating Bancroft's contract would seem to indicate the eighteen counties might not want them there. Still, there are enough unscrupulous counties desperate for success - especially in division two.
Durham won’t be able to afford them though.

S.Kennedy

There are plenty of married kiddie fiddlers mate. JFC can’t believe that us to be pointed out to you.
I'm sure they're isolated cases but when people mention ''sexual abuse cases of Christian clergy'', they tend to be referring to the Catholic Church. A joke along those lines turns into a bit of a straw man when it is directed at Anglicanism (or any of the other Protestant churches for that matter).