• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsman to Watch?

Langeveldt

Soutie
My favourite batsmen to watch

Herschelle Gibbs
Lance Klusener
Marcus Trescothick

and all the tail enders, because I love seeing wickets fall :duh:

Anil

Lara, Tendulkar, M. Waugh, Gibbs......brilliant and exciting batsmen and a treat to watch when in touch.

As an all-time favourite, it's David Gower for me. When he was in full-flow, it was pure, beautiful poetry.

Rik

Mark Waugh, Tendulkar, and Afridi when he gets it right :lol: and Davison after that knock...WOW :wow:

Eclipse

As far as low order batsman go I love watching Brett Lee bat he can slaughter the ball absolutly anyalate it if is pitched up and can cut the ball for six with ease. I have also seen him pull Chris Cairns for 2 sixes.

I am not a big fan of Jayawardene simpily because he played so poorly in the VB series.
Vaughan is good to watch but only really in tests.

krkode

The most joy giving six I ever saw was when Venky Prasad his McGrath for a six in the last ball of the Ind v Aus game in the ICC Knockout tourney...

Wicket off the 5th ball, Prasad in last ball, and bam! :wow:

bliksem

Davison's innings was exciting, but I don't think I'd call it one of the best ODI innings I've ever seen. He was dropped about three times and had the ball hit his stumps without the bails falling off. He also seemed more intent on having a slog than actually winning the game for Canada. Had he batted with a bit of sense after reaching his hundred, Canada may well have set the Windies a target in excess of 300 and had a chance to win the match. Breathtaking, yes. Classy, no.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bliksem said:
Davison's innings was exciting, but I don't think I'd call it one of the best ODI innings I've ever seen. He was dropped about three times and had the ball hit his stumps without the bails falling off. He also seemed more intent on having a slog than actually winning the game for Canada. Had he batted with a bit of sense after reaching his hundred, Canada may well have set the Windies a target in excess of 300 and had a chance to win the match. Breathtaking, yes. Classy, no.
There was no chance of them making 300 or so because they simply do not possess the quality to bat that long - however some of them do have a good eye for the ball, so they may as well hit it while they're there!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:

Vaughan is good to watch but only really in tests.
Juries still out on him in ODI's, but from what I've heard in the last month or so, he's moving in the right direction to become a major player in that form of the game as well...

Eclipse

marc71178 said:
Juries still out on him in ODI's, but from what I've heard in the last month or so, he's moving in the right direction to become a major player in that form of the game as well...
Yes I agree he is moving in the right direction and he will get there I am sure but his stroke play is not as polished as it is In test cricket.

I think he is a little to keen to play the ball on the up in One dayers but does not really get forward enough.

Rik

krkode said:
The most joy giving six I ever saw was when Venky Prasad his McGrath for a six in the last ball of the Ind v Aus game in the ICC Knockout tourney...

Wicket off the 5th ball, Prasad in last ball, and bam! :wow:
I remember Darren Gough walking out to the middle and slogging the ball from Zaheer Khan for 6 in the Natwest Series last year :)

Lower order batsmen, or attacking batsmen are the best to watch as something is allways happening. They are the best to watch unless you enjoy being blocked to sleep by batsmen like Attapatu...

bliksem

marc71178 said:
There was no chance of them making 300 or so because they simply do not possess the quality to bat that long - however some of them do have a good eye for the ball, so they may as well hit it while they're there!
You're right. Canada doesn't, but Davison does. He plays for South Australia after all. After reaching his ton and putting Canada in a strong position, he maybe should've looked at consolidating and taking fewer risks and batting through the innings. And definitely shouldn't have tried to hit a six when on Nelson!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bliksem said:
You're right. Canada doesn't, but Davison does. He plays for South Australia after all.
He bats at number 8 and averages about 15 - hardly quality to bat through 50 overs shepherding a long tail (de Groot's about number 6!) against any International Attack.

bliksem

When you've scored 111 off 70 something balls, I think it can be said that you have your eye in and that you're not really being troubled by the bowlers. Nicky Boje bats at 8 as well, but he's well capable of shepherding a tail and taking the bowlers to task. I'm not saying Davison would've seen them to a 300 total, but he might as well have had a go at it. The longer you go on the slog, the more likely you are to get out.

Rik

bliksem said:
When you've scored 111 off 70 something balls, I think it can be said that you have your eye in and that you're not really being troubled by the bowlers. Nicky Boje bats at 8 as well, but he's well capable of shepherding a tail and taking the bowlers to task. I'm not saying Davison would've seen them to a 300 total, but he might as well have had a go at it. The longer you go on the slog, the more likely you are to get out.
It was a brilliant innings, I don't think you can class it as a slog. Maybe he played a few slog-like shots like any batsman does when they are scoring that quickly, but from someone who's never come near to 100 before, you can't really crisise him. I mean maybe he is only good playing his shots like Cork over here, if he tries defending too much he just gets out...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
It was a brilliant innings, I don't think you can class it as a slog. Maybe he played a few slog-like shots like any batsman does when they are scoring that quickly, but from someone who's never come near to 100 before, you can't really crisise him. I mean maybe he is only good playing his shots like Cork over here, if he tries defending too much he just gets out...
Yay Davison - the Corky of Canada.

I knew there had to be a reason for me to like him!:D

bliksem

Well, we'll never know until he tries. It reminded me very much of Astle's 222 against England last year. Brilliant innings, but when victory was actually in sight, I think he should've calmed down a touch. And calming down a touch doesn't mean blocking. He might actually have won the game instead of just playing a valiant knock in a losing cause.

I would still call Davison's knock more of a slog than anything else, but that doesn't mean it was full of unorthodox shots. He chanced his arm a fair few times and had four let offs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I disagree that Astle should've changed his style in that game - he had a half-dead batsman at the other end, and if they'd tried to knuckle down in those conditions, I doubt they'd have lasted any longer.

Gotchya

Plenty of batsmen that are good to watch,

Sachin tendulkar
Brian Lara
Saeed Anwar
Ricky Ponting
Attapattu
Jayasuriya
Gibbs

Classy strokeplay is what I look for in batsmen, Power hitting while spectacular, does not provide for the same thing.