• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best XI of the first round, with a twist

Neil Young

Meh, Imam's an unlikely pick but Amir fully deserves to be in a combined first round XI

Can do without passive-agressive sarcasm/baiting tbh. I know when a new poster arrives here and gets out of the blocks in a argumentative way (and FWIW I disagree with the tone and content of several of Amirfan's posts) we like to give it back to them and wind them up, but that's pretty **** imo. Loads of good posters here get riled up on certain topics/in specific circumstances and sometimes we choose to fan the flames there too, which is rubbish too, but at least we generally end up shaking hands and making up. With new posters we often just end up chasing them away before we really get to see what they could bring to the forum in a different context/situation. I do, though, appreciate that there have a fair number of new joiners over the years who have come with the pretty much the sole intention of trolling and stirring things up, which we can certainly do without too.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this forum and you get some seriously great stuff on here, but I feel that especially recently genuine nastiness and insults are becoming, by no means the norm, but far more prevalent and that's **** too. When this forum is good, it's bloody amazing and we shouldn't be bringing things down with this crap - it stinks up the forum atmosphere for everyone and chases away good posters. I've got a few friends and colleagues who I want to point towards this forum, and I really think they'd be good contributors here but I haven't done so because I can't shake the feeling that they might say something 'wrong' early on and just cop flak on here. Never thought I'd feel like that when I first signed up here (nearly 4 years ago, woah that's gone fast), but I do.

Sorry Burgey, it's not really fair for me to attach all this to your post as it's nowhere near the worst example of the behaviour I'm getting on my soapbox to preach about, but I've been feeling increasingly this way in general for a fair few months now and I guess it's the straw the broke the camel's back.

Anyway, that's it, rant over. Sorry :)
An internet forum is like any social circle (albeit with a higher percentage of people with social disorders!) and if you rock up and start throwing your weight around - as per Amir - it's just going to get people's backs
up. Take your time, settle in and judge the lie of the land before going all pump and muscle. And I say this as a typical NZ bits and pieces poster, who sits on the outer of this particular site.

trundler

I agree with what Bijed said but bullying of noobs is by no means an exclusively CW thing. CW is a fairly aged place with its own posting culture, memes and inside jokes. Noobs always have a hard time fitting in such places and coming in all guns blazing doesn't help. I think we should be more accommodating but hey, this kind of thing happens everywhere. Hapless noobs do bring us all together by becoming an outflow of lolololol ur country sux type shitposting. I think the mods should take a leaf from the ancients and just give us a monthly sacrifice or something, ha.

zorax

likes this
It might be a poor way to look at it, but I know Amirfan's type. I've interacted with people who think like him for my whole life. So I have little patience for his views and thoughts because I know they are a result of him tying his self worth into his cricket team's success. Did you see how he said that I shouldn't speak in a certain tone because I support Bangladesh?

Because he thinks this way, will view everything from the angle that makes his team look better than they are, free of blame, the victim in all situations. It's a **** world view. He's already cherry picking stats and events to support these views as well.

And besides, he's not come here to be a member of the community, he's come here to use the forum as a soapbox to preach his **** world views. Pakistan is the victim, we were unlucky, your teams aren't as good as mine, if life was 'fair' we would win everything. He hijacked the NZ Vs India thread to discredit the two sides playing and go 'rah rah Pakistan' instead, and has already tried to play the posters nationality and not the post wherever he goes. He's not trying to fit in here, he just wants to make his agenda heard. Logic and rational discourse be damned. No one has ever made a single peep about NRR, and now that Pakistani fans got denied that 1992 wet dream they all were having its suddenly the worst thing in cricket since DLS? Jog on. It's just sour grapes and nothing else. H2H is only better in their opinion because it gets Pakistan in the semi final this one time. That's it. If the roles were reversed they'd love NRR and think it's perfect too.

I know too many people like this IRL, and I tolerate enough people of these dumb arguments put up with that **** here.

There have been other new members join the site during this time, like PikeyB and Naarn, who have been more than welcomed. We're not ****s to everyone. You can say the 'wrong' thing and still survive. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But you can't go around playing the victim, making bad arguments, and taking digs at other countries for all of your first 50 posts and expect to be treated nicely for it.

If Amirfan feels like leaving the site because of how we've treated him I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

Bijed

Don't disagree with any of your responses tbh. But even if the responses the worse new posters (or established posters who say something disagreeable for that matter) get are reasonable and justifiable, they still tend to have the effect of toxifying the forum atmosphere because the exchanges themselves make for bad reading and they often just cause the bad poster to double down and feel that they're entitled to play the victim card. Also, it's easy for new and potentially good posters to just get off on the wrong foot (just the vagaries of internet communication), but the manner in which they may well get rebuked kills the chance of a good posting career there and then. Granted, the specific timing if my rant wasn't necessarily the best

It's not just with new members, I do feel that differences of opinion between established members in various cricket chat threads quickly turn nasty more often than they used to. I know that kind of thing is just par for the course for the internet, but it doesn't mean this forum can't do better.

And apologies if anyone felt I was calling them out specifically, as that wasn't my intention - I was trying to comment on general trends, rather than particular instances

Spark

Global Moderator
All I'll say here is to reiterate what Dan said in the other thread: the lack of Pakistan/India/Bangladesh based nationality trolling and dickwaving here is genuinely one of the great achievements of CW's community, and we'll go above and beyond to keep that uniquely intense source of toxicity wrt discussing cricket online out of this forum.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
All I'll say here is to reiterate what Dan said in the other thread: the lack of Pakistan/India/Bangladesh based nationality trolling and dickwaving here is genuinely one of the great achievements of CW's community, and we'll go above and beyond to keep that uniquely intense source of toxicity wrt discussing cricket online out of this forum.
Please cut out the unnecessary sexual remarks. There are plenty of other terms you could have opted for aside from dickwaving. Official warning.

harsh.ag

I agree with zorax's assessment of Amirfan but not with his response. You should allow such posters to self implode and use the report function more.