• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brendon Taylor first world cup Kolpak to sign for County cricket,Who's next.

16 tins of Spam

The whole point of Kolpak is that you can play your trade in Europe as a "local" as a result of agreements between your country and the EU; you can't argue you're playing as a local whilst still representing Zimbabwe or South Africa.
I'm baffled by this whole Kolpak business. Am I understanding it right that Brendan Taylor is somehow to play county cricket as a "local" player because England and Zimbabwe have signed some sort of agreement, rather than because he has English ancestry?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm baffled by this whole Kolpak business. Am I understanding it right that Brendan Taylor is somehow to play county cricket as a "local" player because England and Zimbabwe have signed some sort of agreement, rather than because he has English ancestry?
It's an EU-Zimbabwe agreement rather than an England-Zimbabwe agreement, but yes. This is all about EU employment law.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've basically moved past being sad about players leaving Zimbabwe Cricket for overseas employment opportunities. The circumstances behind it are sad but the circumstances wouldn't have changed by Taylor staying. The fans deserve these players but ZC absolutely don't, and I think it's a good thing that young Zimbabweans have a pathway through cricket to move to a relatively free country and actually get paid a reasonable wage for their skills. I say this as someone lots of people on this site would identify as a "Zimbabwe fan", but that sort of pathway is more important than watching Zimbabwe play on TV. Hopefully one day we can have both (or not need both).