• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Champions League Twenty20

Scaly piscine

There I was ready to say how when I finally want the Kiwis to win they don't, but they did. Good old Saffie choke too. Well done Otago anyway, top effort to maintain that streak even if is largely against NZ domestic sides.

Briony

Lions usually a weak franchise. Surprised they made the CL. They generally don't seem to produce internationals. Still they didn't get smashed.

SeamUp

Lions usually a weak franchise. Surprised they made the CL. They generally don't seem to produce internationals. Still they didn't get smashed.
Wouldn't say that. Huge tradition. Just missed McKenzie's experience and Chris Morris' all round abilities and are on the up again.

Got to the final in last years Champions League and a decent proportion of their team stepped foot into India for the first time.

Quinny and Hardus strutted their stuff very nicely here.

Flem274*

123/5
i dont know how the hell that worked after the first three balls but the cricket gods really like otago and jimmy neesham today.

There I was ready to say how when I finally want the Kiwis to win they don't, but they did. Good old Saffie choke too. Well done Otago anyway, top effort to maintain that streak even if is largely against NZ domestic sides.
i like how you always find a way to be negative. i think its your englishness.

Kippax

When it's your night, you have a go: Neesham | Latest Cricket News & Breaking News | Wisden India

It took a lot of fight, an exceptional innings and a bit of luck, but in the end Otago Volts kept their unbeaten streak alive after edging out Highveld Lions following a tie in the Super Over on Sunday (September 29).

James Neesham stole the show for Otago, hitting 52 not out off 25 balls to tie the match, and then batting and bowling in the Super Overs that ended with both sides scoring 13 each. Otago had hit 19 boundaries (seven sixes and 12 fours) to the Lions 18 (seven sixes and 11 fours) over the course of the teams’ 20-over innings, and that clinched the issue.

“Obviously, the reason they decided to go with me in the Super Over was when it’s your night, you have a go,” said Neesham after the adrenaline-packed win at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur. Neesham, who came in at 97 for 4 and saw the team slip to 103 for 6, said the plan in the final overs was to keep the singles coming. “It was pretty pleasing overall. Obviously we were in a little bit of trouble when I came out to bat, but we just decided we’d try and rotate the strike and get ones. I knew it was a good pitch, so if we got in and started going, we’d be pretty hard to stop. That was basically the plan, make a game of it and bring it down to the last couple of overs.”

Vaughn Johnson, the Otago coach, said “trust and belief” had kept the side from losing the match. “We often talk about when we are under the cosh, somebody’s sticking their hand up,” said Johnson. “Neesh (Neesham) stuck his hand up tonight and got us out of trouble. I wasn’t particularly happy about the way we played tonight. I thought we were a bit loose in the field. But the way Neesham played with the bat, we always knew the belief was there, because of the fine player he is. This kid will play a lot of international cricket.”

Johnson said Otago’s initial goal had been to get through the qualifiers, and with that done, to win a game in the main draw. With ten points from three matches and a high net run-rate, Otago look well placed to go further than that, and qualify for the semifinal. Depending on if they finish first or second in Group A, they’ll play their semifinal in Jaipur or Delhi.

“When we came into this tournament, our first challenge was to qualify and we did that three zip,” said Johnson. “And then it was to win a game in the main event, and we’ve won two now. I don’t really care where you send us. We’re just happy to continue the winning run we’ve had. If it’s Jaipur, yes, it’s probably a preference, but we have to wait to find out if we are in the semis. But if we are, then it’s huge for this team. It goes back to the hard work that has gone in way back in July when we started preparing.”

Otago nearly paid heavily for Nick Beard dropping Quinton de Kock on 48 when the Lions batted, with de Kock going on to hit 109 not out off 63 balls, but though Johnson joked that he would have “kicked his arse if we lost”, he defended Beard, pointing to the two crucial wickets of Temba Bavuma and Alviro Petersen. “It’s one of those things,” said Johnson. “The guy came on and got two crucial wickets for us. He charged the catch a little bit, and he’s gutted tonight, but he’ll pick himself up. He’s a quality bowler and he’s in the side to bowl. His third skill has got to be the fielding and he dropped one tonight, but he didn’t mean to drop it.”

thierry henry

Is Jimmy being a former regular poster just so old-hat now it's not worth mentioning, or is it more to do with this place being mostly n00bs?