• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chess

Uppercut

I’ve settled into playing very aggressive e4 lines as white and very tight lines as black. Fried liver, Evans gambit, open Sicilian, Caro Kann and Slav. Feels like it shouldn’t make sense and I should be good at one type of game or the other.

GotSpin

I think it makes sense to try to even up the game as black which is what the Sicilian often does

Gambits are great fun to play as well and a good way to put pressure on your opponent quickly

Last edited:

srbhkshk

I love the Sicilian too, unfortunately my prep ends at move 4 and I play absolute garbage after that. Played e5 for a long time in response to e4 for a long time but it just feels like you are always a bit worse.

Last edited:

Uppercut

like i definitely felt i was doing well (and i was, i won in about 25 moves) but not that easily
Yeah that's why I'd miss it. If I was in any kind of trouble I'd spend more than 5 seconds and eventually find it, but there I'd retreat the knight without even thinking and be happy about it.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that's why I'd miss it. If I was in any kind of trouble I'd spend more than 5 seconds and eventually find it, but there I'd retreat the knight without even thinking and be happy about it.
honestly i actually did even wonder if some wild nf6+ tactic would work. just didn't notice at all that the very same trick could work on the unprotected square two squares across, and that + would actually be #...

Chewie

There's been quite a lot of Twitch streamers playing chess recently, and Hikaru and Magnus' streams have been popular too

GotSpin

Big fan of that channel, unless Svidler is doing an analysis he tends to be my go to youtube analyst for important/big games
I only just stumbled upon Daniel King. He's no Ben Finegold but I really enjoy his enthusiast analysis.

I particularly love games of Bobby Fischer. So fascinating how he just obliterated his opponents

Last edited:

Uppercut

I've been playing a lot of Bullet and I'm so so bad at it. Addictive though.

I usually come out of the opening better, but I really struggle to put together checkmating attacks. Need to study Got_Spin's games, he's great at it. I might be best off sticking to the dullest possible lines.

Uppercut

Yeah and last time I randomly checked out a game of yours you won with a beautiful attack, also in the KG.

GotSpin

Thanks!

I absolute love playing the KG. Certainly a risky opening but it creates some extremely exciting chess

Started trying to learn the Bertin Gambit variation as well now

Last edited: