• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chopping wide balls onto the stumps

Arjun

Probably the second-worst way to get out (after straight-drive deflection run-outs), but I'm throwing this open for debate here. Is the dismissal by chopping wide balls onto the stumps a batting error or just plain, bad luck? Having watched the Indian team so often, I've seen that happen for Tendulkar and Dravid no less, more than a few times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's certainly a batting error. Inside-edging the ball is just as much an error as outside-edging it - you've either played down the wrong line or been beaten by movement. The risk of an inside edge is much less than that of an outside edge - but the actual error is the same.

Swervy

It is a batting error, however it is still unlucky at the same time

Makes me laugh that a batsman who plays on like that is deemed unlucky and yet if the ball missed the wickets he would be called a lucky so and so

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Depends. Sometimes, it means that you're playing with an angled bat, when a crossbat shot is what is required. Other times, the actual shot selection was right, the execution wasn't.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Depends. Sometimes, it means that you're playing with an angled bat, when a crossbat shot is what is required. Other times, the actual shot selection was right, the execution wasn't.
Indeed, but isn't it a batting error in both of those situations?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Meh, batting error is too broad a term for my liking. Batsmen technically make errors when they still hit balls for four from the middle of the bat.

Tend to break it down into "decision-making" and the actual "execution" of the stroke; not mutually exclusive by any means, but they in my mind are the two main aspects of the batting process.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's certainly a batting error. Inside-edging the ball is just as much an error as outside-edging it - you've either played down the wrong line or been beaten by movement.
The former of these is error, the latter isn't.

Being beaten by a ball that moves is no error, I'd say.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Makes me laugh that a batsman who plays on like that is deemed unlucky and yet if the ball missed the wickets he would be called a lucky so and so
Absolutely. If it hits the stumps it hits them, if it doesn't it doesn't. Neither is really lucky or unlucky.

Perm

Definitely a batting error, but the batsman is unlucky if the ball actually collides with the stumps.

SJS

Definitely a batting error, but the batsman is unlucky if the ball actually collides with the stumps.
As unlucky as an edge going to the hands of one of the fielders at slip rather than through them. :)

It is an error which is fine because batsmen will finally make errors. The problem is if the batsman makes a particular error again and again very often. Then it is a 'defect' that needs correction. As much a defect as Inzy's 'bad luck' in getting run out so often and Ganguly's bad luck that his 'hooks' make more height than distance. :)

Last edited:

Goughy

There is nothing unlucky about it. It is (in the main) a technical issue born from bringing the bat down at an angle.

Something that isnt punished at all when there is little movement but is very costly if there is any deviation.

No different to any other technical weakness. The environment has to be right for it to be exploited