• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Classic matches absolutely ruined by DRS had it been around

Burgey

Actually, the underarm ODI could have been completely different with DRS because Greg Chappell, who made 90, was caught in the deep by Martin Snedden when he was on about 50, but neither umpire saw it because both were looking at the creases to check for a short run at the very moment the catch was taken.

Earlier in the day Greg Chappell, when 52, had refused to walk when Snedden, at deep midwicket, claimed what appeared to be a low but fair catch off Cairns; as neither umpire was watching the incident - they said they were looking for short runs - New Zealand's impassioned appeals for a catch were in vain.

From Cricinfo's report of the game.

Last edited:

cricmahanty

This test match which probably featured one of the best test hundreds in a losing cause and one of the best displays of good off-spin bowling too (1st Test: India v Pakistan at Chennai, Jan 28-31, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo) could have been different if the DRS were to be around.

Ganguly was given caught behind when the ball had brushed off the the pads of one of the close-in fielders and bumped on the ground twice before Moin pouched it in a diving attempt. Had he stayed around and scored even some 20-odd runs, the glorious 136 wouldn't have gone down in the books as a ton in a lost cause.

wellAlbidarned

Actually, the underarm ODI could have been completely different with DRS because Greg Chappell, who made 90, was caught in the deep by Martin Snedden when he was on about 50, but neither umpire saw it because both were looking at the creases to check for a short run at the very moment the catch was taken.

Earlier in the day Greg Chappell, when 52, had refused to walk when Snedden, at deep midwicket, claimed what appeared to be a low but fair catch off Cairns; as neither umpire was watching the incident - they said they were looking for short runs - New Zealand's impassioned appeals for a catch were in vain.

From Cricinfo's report of the game.
It's funny because this is literally the first time I've heard of this yet it's arguably far more bull**** than the underarm.

greg

Exactly. Simon Jones nailed on the back pad in front of middle early in an important partnership with Flintoff in the soap dodgers' second dig.
After 30 runs of a 50 run partnership, I don't know.

On the other hand there was Bell possibly not out and Pietersen definitely not out. We could do this forever!

I nominate DRS destroying a great SERIES! - England-South Africa 1998. Fraser LBW in the last over batting out for a draw in the third test? Atherton given out caught behind in the fourth? And Javed Aktar having half of England's wickets over-ruled at Headingley!

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
After 30 runs of a 50 run partnership, I don't know.

On the other hand there was Bell possibly not out and Pietersen definitely not out. We could do this forever!
Pietersen should have been out earlier in his innings though, anyway. :p

Kirkut

Had there been DRS, this legendary encounter would have never taken place.....

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Pietersen was out first ball too. Geez there were a lot of **** decisions in that match, Ponting's to bowl first for example.

Last edited:

BeeGee

3rd Test: Australia v New Zealand at Perth, Nov 30-Dec 4, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Warne was plumb LBW at the start of his innings, but it wasn't given and he went on to score his famous 99.
There was also an obvious caught behind in Aus's second innings not given (can't remember the batsman, was too busy yelling at the TV).

NZ would have won easily had DRS been around.

p.s. Check out NZ's freaky first innings. Every batsman either scored less than 10 or greater than 100.

p.p.s. That was also back in the days when Fleming would declare as soon as the 9th wicket fell to save the embarrassment of watching Martin bat. :laugh:

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Was Steve Waugh I believe. And I notice a complete excision of Warne being caught off a no-ball. :p

(not that he would have gotten that far with the LBW, of course)

BeeGee

And I notice a complete excision of Warne being caught off a no-ball. :p
There's a vague recollection of something along those lines :p

That was a great series. The first test was the one where Fleming declared way behind to challenge Waugh to make a game of it. A challenge which was dutifully accepted and a game that was heading for a boring draw ended up in an exciting draw. :cool:

Probably the best all round team NZ have ever sent to Aus.

nexxus

Had there been DRS, this legendary encounter would have never taken place.....

That just sorts the case for DRS out for me, sweet Superman, still bitter over that test. Just because it got his goose up and produced one of the most awesome spells of bowling ever televised it doesn't change the fact that Donald wuz robbed. Stupid Atherton, stupid Russell. muttermutter.