• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Contract System?

Loony BoB

I don't think we'd be ridiculously strict as captains. I know that at least I would allow someone out of their contract if they specifically requested it due to little or no game time.

I just think you're making things much too complicated in each of your proposals. I think something simple, yet somewhat effective is more in the spirit of the Dev League than something so ridiculously complicated it takes away from the fun of the Captains and Vice-Captains.
And I'm fine if people want to go about things that way. I just don't see the need for ranks in such a case. If anything, it would encourage people to go from club to club rather than encouraging them to stay with an existing one.

steds

Can't see contracts working TBH, also i don't really see the need for them. What is so bad about players moving from club to club.
The is nothing wrong with players moving from club to club as such, but the problem is that this off season has been a farce. Especially in that the clubs the player is moving from have had no say in it at all and only find out about the move when the player pops up and says "btw, I'm playing for <insert team name here> next season."
An appropriate contract system would give a team warning that a player wants to move and allow them to try and negotiate for the player to recommit, or if the player who wants to move is under contract, decide whether the player is dispensable and if so, whether said player should be released or whether the club wants a trade for him. This is all so much more realistic than the way the league is currently, and also stop a CW Black-esque mass exodus were the club isn't informed until they're gone.

FaaipDeOiad

Can't see contracts working TBH, also i don't really see the need for them. What is so bad about players moving from club to club.
Ridiculously overcomplicated systems aside, I don't see how they could fail to "work". It's a fairly simple process. Instead of just being a Red or Blue player, you're a Red or Blue player for X number of seasons. The problem with players moving from club to club every season with no prior knowledge for their club is mainly just that it's unrealistic, and it can leave some clubs in a difficult situation with a lack of players.

And regarding the contract situation for players who are underplayed, quite simply that would be an obvious reason to sever the contract. No captain is going to keep a player on for 4 or 5 seasons without playing them, and if they tried for whatever reason I'm sure an appeal to the CWBCC would sort it out. The contract system is more designed to prevent a mass exodus of regular team members with no prior notice.

edit: Just noticed that Bennett covered most of this in his last post. So, consider this enforcing the point.

FaaipDeOiad

And I'm fine if people want to go about things that way. I just don't see the need for ranks in such a case. If anything, it would encourage people to go from club to club rather than encouraging them to stay with an existing one.
Going from club to club for a reason, with appropriate notice is fine, especially when that reason is within the bounds of the sim and allows some sort of negotiation process. In fact, I'd say that's a good thing. I really think you're missing the practical applications of the ranking system with some of these objections. Like everything else related to the sim, it's merely designed to add realism and depth, nothing more. We don't have an economy aside from in player trades, but we do have a set of teams in which a leadership position or a regular position in the first team are valued, so that is our currency.

Loony BoB

And it doesn't need to be ranked - that's all I'm saying. Otherwise I don't mind the idea at all... although an effective penalty system would need to be used for those who break contract, of course, otherwise they again become redundant.

It would need to be given a trial run, and I guess the simplest form (yours - preferrably without ranking players) is the easiest one to trial first as it can be done over 1-2 seasons effectively while my most recent proposal would take longer to see the benefits. If it does enough to curb mass moves of players and if enough players sign long-term contracts then we're sorted.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Too much inflexibility again in Towns' second proposal. You "must" do this, etc.

Basically, all we need is a system where the leaders of each team know whom they need to chase up at the end of each season for their signature to keep them at the club. Right now, you have a whole squad to chase up. Even if you reduce that to just 10 or so, then it'll be better than what it was.

age_master

Personally i am still have a preference for the earlier suggestion of a 'salary cap' where each team gets a certain number of points to spend on whatever players it chooses.

Each player gets a points value assigned by the board which would be fixed for the term of any contract (and re-assessed by the board at the end of each contract they have).

Players might then be signed a longer term contract if they think their value will go up, or might sign a shorter term contract if their value might go down.

There would also be a cap so the squads stayed fairly even in strength.

Robertinho

Personally i am still have a preference for the earlier suggestion of a 'salary cap' where each team gets a certain number of points to spend on whatever players it chooses.

Each player gets a points value assigned by the board which would be fixed for the term of any contract (and re-assessed by the board at the end of each contract they have).

Players might then be signed a longer term contract if they think their value will go up, or might sign a shorter term contract if their value might go down.

There would also be a cap so the squads stayed fairly even in strength.
Top idea. Good stuff.

Travis_Teh

Contracts would add another nicity to CW, I reckon.

Obviously it would work, as the people who run the league are not mentally challenged and I think it would add a breath of fresh air to the system whilst negating the disgusting player swapping/trading/stealing/turn-coating that happened over this off-season.

Loony BoB

Age: When you say 'the board' do you mean 'the CWBCC'? Because for that idea to work, there would either need to be a set system which shows how many points a person is worth, or else there would need to be a way to 'spend' points somehow.

Mister Wright

What about just having contracts where a player is signed up for X amount of seasons. However if they want to break their contract before it has come to an end they have to serve a certain amount of games as suspension?

Say a player signs up for 3 seasons but at the end of the first season decides they want to move clubs. There is 2 years left on that player's contract therefore they have to miss 10 games with their new club (5 games per year left on contract - perhaps penalty could be greater?). That way if a player really wants to leave the club because they don't like it there anymore there is some sort or penalty that the player has to serve. Also, it will allow the team they want to leave the possibility of a trade because they have something to negotiate.

It would work along the lines where if there is a mutual contract negotiation there is no penalty for the player changing clubs.

Example A: Player A asks club for release. Team A consult with Team B and organise a trade for that player = Mutual Contract Negotiation. Player serves no suspension.

Example B: Player B asks the club for a release. Team A consult with Team B, but cannot come up with a compromise and therefore Player B is still able to leave Team A, but they have to serve a 'Contract Suspension' at the Team B (be it 5 matches or more).

So, teams are able to negotiate contracts with players and have to make them available to the board and it is publicy displayed somewhere in the Cricket Web forums so players and captains are aware of a certain player's contract length.

age_master

Age: When you say 'the board' do you mean 'the CWBCC'? Because for that idea to work, there would either need to be a set system which shows how many points a person is worth, or else there would need to be a way to 'spend' points somehow.
The CWBCC would set the values for each player both initially, and then at the end of each contract. The player would have no say in how much they are worth.

You could then work in similar things to other salary caps around the world in that once a player has been with a club for a certain amount of time they would get a concession and cost less points to stay in that team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm liking Age's idea - if the CWBCC feel it to be a big task, perhaps they can enlist help from each team to work as a task force and rank players?

I was also wondering maybe the CW contracted players should be excluded from the lists and managed separately by the coach? It gives the coach a more important role and would add realism?

Jungle Jumbo

Using Age's idea, couldn't we just have five or six levels of ranking, carrying different points levels?

Example:
Rookie = 1
Development League backup = 2
Development League regular = 3
CW A regular = 4
CW XI regular = 5

Possibly for both one-day and first-class, with a points cap.

chaminda_00

I do like the idea of a salary cap, if nothing more then it might even out the competition. But the hard thing will be the grading of players, but i guess using a simple method like George's it could be implemented. If it is ever implemented i like to see players who have been at a club for 5 plus years to have exceptions.

With contracts, again simplicity is the key. All you need to players and their repectivity clubs agreeing to a certain length of contracts, just like IRL. I don't like the idea of players contracts based on so called importanced or the number of games they play. Basically players just ask to be contracted for a certain period and clubs get back to them how long they feel they can contract, based probably on their salary rating/status.

An example could be players like Simon, Andy and Thamba might only want to be contracted for two seasons, but the club wants them for 3 or 4. The players and the club decided over the length. Or you could get a youngster who a club wants to sign for a long period so their salary doesn't go up.

chaminda_00

Any news on this? What are the chances of a contract system or salary cap being implemented before the start of the new season.