• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Corporate Politics

yaju

Controversial topic, but this is something that affects all of us. While some say that an office where politics don't exist does not exist, some say that politics does have an advantage of their own if applied properly.

I am happy doing whatever job I do, corporate politics is something that interests me not for the lust of doing it, but for knowing what is running in the mind of the guy you are interacting on a regular basis.

Frank Adoranti's The Lazy Executive's Guide: Hot to Lie, Cheat and Steal Your Way to the Top. has dealt with these situations in a humourous way, as the pages unfold one gets to know the tricks of the trade and how to survive among greedy vultures. This IMO is a *Must Read* book for everyone who has stepped foot in the corporate world. Riveting, the book blooms in the references to the characters you meet in real life.

Hurricane

Are you getting a cut from this book?

I think corporate politics - are critical to success or failure. I used to work in marketing which ranks near the top for the degree of office politics. Strangely sales isn't so political according to studies in this area. Your actual performance is measured in commissions so you can't suck up and get to the top as easily. I am sure it still happens but probably the best job goes to the best salesman.
If you would like to trade tips here I would be keen to participate in this thread as I feel I have some good stories to tell.

Look forward to your next post.

Last edited:

yaju

Are you getting a cut from this book?

I think corporate politics - are critical to success or failure. I used to work in marketing which ranks near the top for the degree of office politics. Strangely sales isn't so political according to studies in this area. Your actual performance is measured in commissions so you can't suck up and get to the top as easily. I am sure it still happens but probably the best job goes to the best salesman.
If you would like to trade tips here I would be keen to participate in this thread as I feel I have some good stories to tell.

Look forward to your next post.
Sure, would love to hear your stories.

This will tell you everything you need to know...

Although the original would do just as well...
Thanks for the recommendation, would look for them.

Hurricane

I will tell a friend's/acquaintance's story since this is online and I will probably end up posting my name here one day.

The moral of this story is that first impressions count. My friend did some work for a Director in the company and he thought that he did a good job. The Director didn't think so and gave negative feedback about him at his performance review.
So my friend decided that he had to put things right. For the next year he prepared like a maniac for any meeting with that Director so that he could answer every question. When he had to do some work for the Director he stayed late at night to finish it on time. At the end of the year he was confident of getting a good review.
But he didn't. The same Director said that my friend was a weak employee etc. His mind was made up basically.

The lesson I draw from this is to cut your losses. If someone thinks you are weak. Make sure you do an OK job for them but trying to change their mind about you may not work.

Last edited:

Sanz

It is not worth ****. Do your work to the best of your ability, don't get emotional at work and think before you talk about corporate politics. I work because I want to earn a good living for my family while somewhat enjoying what I do. If you do your job well, you are bound to get rewarded sooner or later.
Lean to communicate well and, if it still doesn't work, then it is probably not the right place for you.

Hurricane

It is not worth ****. Do your work to the best of your ability, don't get emotional at work and think before you talk about corporate politics. I work because I want to earn a good living for my family while somewhat enjoying what I do. If you do your job well, you are bound to get rewarded sooner or later.
Lean to communicate well and, if it still doesn't work, then it is probably not the right place for you.
Maybe we have different understandings of what corporate politics is.

I don't agree with your post that if you are good at what you do you will get ahead. If you are good at what you do and if you are sensible politically you will do ok. If you are boob politically ie you pick holes in your bosses logic in a crowded meeting. If you make suggestions to your boss which are correct but he has no hope of being able to sell to his boss. If you follow your own logic instead of taking the boss's instructions to heart. Then all of these things would be examples of poor politics.

It is likely that in your post you took it for granted that a person wouldn't argue with their boss. Or would tow the party line. But that is assuming that someone is sensible politically.

Corporate politics is not backstabbing your way to the top. Playing mind games with people you work with or other fancy tricks.
It is about not making any political mistakes over a sustained period of time and cultivating a successful reputation.

Where I can agree with you is this. Trying to be political will land you in a heap of trouble. If someone suspects you are a political animal and you get this reputation you are finished.

Just being good in the basics is the main thing.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jokes about Machiavelli aside, the most useful way to look at this subject is one of 'interpersonal skills' and 'team building' rather than politics. There are a lot of interesting texts you can read, and tests you can take to improve your understanding of how the people around you function, and how you can best adjust your style to work productively with them. The Myers-Briggs personality type is a good starting point, but I personally like the DISC assessment, its much more useful in terms of how to best interact with different types.

The shortest road to 'political' suicide at work is to be identified by your co-workers and bosses as playing politics at the expence of the work and the team. But being someone who is able to get along productively with a range of people, and present yourself in a positive manner, without being dishonest, are skills that are crucial in a professional work environment.

Hurricane

Jokes about Machiavelli aside, the most useful way to look at this subject is one of 'interpersonal skills' and 'team building' rather than politics. There are a lot of interesting texts you can read, and tests you can take to improve your understanding of how the people around you function, and how you can best adjust your style to work productively with them. The Myers-Briggs personality type is a good starting point, but I personally like the DISC assessment, its much more useful in terms of how to best interact with different types.

The shortest road to 'political' suicide at work is to be identified by your co-workers and bosses as playing politics at the expence of the work and the team. But being someone who is able to get along productively with a range of people, and present yourself in a positive manner, without being dishonest, are skills that are crucial in a professional work environment.
Agree with everything you have said. And I think a lot of other people will be able to relate to it better than my post. I think the phrase "politics" leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.
I am desensitized to the term because I spent 3 months in a class called politics in organizations. I found it really helpful.

yaju

I will tell a friend's/acquaintance's story since this is online and I will probably end up posting my name here one day.

The moral of this story is that first impressions count. My friend did some work for a Director in the company and he thought that he did a good job. The Director didn't think so and gave negative feedback about him at his performance review.
So my friend decided that he had to put things right. For the next year he prepared like a maniac for any meeting with that Director so that he could answer every question. When he had to do some work for the Director he stayed late at night to finish it on time. At the end of the year he was confident of getting a good review.
But he didn't. The same Director said that my friend was a weak employee etc. His mind was made up basically.

The lesson I draw from this is to cut your losses. If someone thinks you are weak. Make sure you do an OK job for them but trying to change their mind about you may not work.
Very good text. While reading this, I could relate a colleague of mine with this. Exactly the same thing happened with her as well, despite working 18+ hours everyday and balancing her family as well.

Patience is what is testing the most, when it comes to getting rewarded later. Bits of appreciation spread over a period of time have a greater healing effect than a huge chunk of appreciation that arrives a bit later in the day. And communication skills matter a lot, seriously.

I don't agree with your post that if you are good at what you do you will get ahead. If you are good at what you do and if you are sensible politically you will do ok. If you are boob politically ie you pick holes in your bosses logic in a crowded meeting. If you make suggestions to your boss which are correct but he has no hope of being able to sell to his boss. If you follow your own logic instead of taking the boss's instructions to heart. Then all of these things would be examples of poor politics.

It is likely that in your post you took it for granted that a person wouldn't argue with their boss. Or would tow the party line. But that is assuming that someone is sensible politically.

Corporate politics is not backstabbing your way to the top. Playing mind games with people you work with or other fancy tricks.
It is about not making any political mistakes over a sustained period of time and cultivating a successful reputation.

Where I can agree with you is this. Trying to be political will land you in a heap of trouble. If someone suspects you are a political animal and you get this reputation you are finished.

Just being good in the basics is the main thing.
Summed up very well. Your post justified one main motive of why I started this thread. One should know what politics are, but it isn't required to practice them. And when you know what they are, keep your mouth shut. Having a clean image definitely helps.

Summed up very well. I got hold of the book, didn't get the time to read it though. Seems it is quite popular.

Agree with everything you have said. And I think a lot of other people will be able to relate to it better than my post. I think the phrase "politics" leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.
I am desensitized to the term because I spent 3 months in a class called politics in organizations. I found it really helpful.
Wanted: Classroom training on Politics and Organizations. Anyone knows where I can procure that? ;)

Sanz

Hahaha, No I would not use the word 'Argue', I would call it a discussion and making yourself heard in front of your boss or the people who are going to make the decision. I am the technical expert in what I do, my boss depends on me to execute any/all of the decisions made by him, so it is important that you communicate with your boss.

There are many things that my boss and I do not agree with, my job is to provide him the information that will help him make the right decision. At the end of the day the call is his and most of the responsibility is his as well. If I am right more often than not then of course it is going to be recognized unless your boss is someone who sells your ideas as his own, which is very difficult in the current corporate world, at least it has been at the place I work or have worked.

Deriding your boss in a public meeting is probably the worst idea. In a crowded meeting I prefer my boss to do the talking unless I am specifically asked for my opinion.

Hurricane

Hahaha, No I would not use the word 'Argue', I would call it a discussion and making yourself heard in front of your boss or the people who are going to make the decision. I am the technical expert in what I do, my boss depends on me to execute any/all of the decisions made by him, so it is important that you communicate with your boss.

There are many things that my boss and I do not agree with, my job is to provide him the information that will help him make the right decision. At the end of the day the call is his and most of the responsibility is his as well. If I am right more often than not then of course it is going to be recognized unless your boss is someone who sells your ideas as his own, which is very difficult in the current corporate world, at least it has been at the place I work or have worked.

Deriding your boss in a public meeting is probably the worst idea. In a crowded meeting I prefer my boss to do the talking unless I am specifically asked for my opinion.
Smart play I tend to do the same thing.