• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CPL gets no love here ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think it suffers from a few problems on here:

Firstly it's a T20 series, when T20 isn't highly regarded.

Secondly it's hardly got a load of big names playing.

Thirdly it's in a relative backwater in terms of CW members.

Finally, the Ashes are going on at the same time.

i've been enjoying the hell out of the CPL, being in the same time zone helps a bit though. Definitely has been some amazing cricket, regardless of what CW as a whole may think of T20.

Cric123

It's been a very good tournament. It comes on bedtime my time and since I get the channels free with broadband it makes for a good viewing on a tablet. I have watched few of the matches in full and falling asleep during a few others (not through boredom). The overseas picks haven't been too good. With the exception of a few, they are a mix over the hill players and others that are not big names.

The great thing about T20 cricket is that not too many matches are boring. They are not really long enough to be boring. Even if a match is one-sided and not filled with big play, the end is never far away. Chris Gayle is on another planet when it comes to this version of the game. If Mitchell Marsh doesn't make it in test cricket then he will be another who I think will dominate this form. Kallis and Vettori are still class and KP played a brilliant innings the other day albeit in a losing cause.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

I tried to watch a game but got so fed up that every single thing had a sponsor (that's a Tetley Brewing Crowd Catch, a DLF Maximum, a HMRC Danny Morrison Cliche etc. etc.) that it was basically unwatchable.

Perhaps with some CW Commentary it would have been okay.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
it's been a very good tournament. It comes on bedtime my time and since i get the channels free with broadband it makes for a good viewing on a tablet. I have watched few of the matches in full and falling asleep during a few others (not through boredom). The overseas picks haven't been too good. With the exception of a few, they are a mix over the hill players and others that are not big names.

The great thing about t20 cricket is that not too many matches are boring. They are not really long enough to be boring. Even if a match is one-sided and not filled with big play, the end is never far away. Chris gayle is on another planet when it comes to this version of the game. If mitchell marsh doesn't make it in test cricket then he will be another who i think will dominate this form. Kallis and vettori are still class and kp played a brilliant innings the other day albeit in a losing cause.
I think the fact that all the players who you've said are dominating it are so old says a lot about the competition...

Cric123

I think the fact that all the players who you've said are dominating it are so old says a lot about the competition...
It's actually been dominated by Gayle, Fletcher, Samuels for the most part, KP has had one good knock, Pollard has played couple of good knocks, Vettori and Kallis have been steady without dominating. The big hitting WI all rounder Brathwaite has done well and a couple of the WI fast bowlers, one of whom consistently bowls between 90 and 95mph. Guptill has hit consistent 30s but without getting the really big scores. In fact, the older players generally have done badly. Guys like Jayawardene, Dilshan have had poor tournaments, each scoring mostly low scores and taking their time about it. These guys can't hit sixes when you most need it. I think it's time T20 did away with picking players on their reputation in the test game because it doesn't always transfer well, and selected younger, athletic, hard hitting players. A knock of 60 off 50 balls is actually not a good one in a T20, in most circumstances.

If you want to get into T20 then I'd suggest the BBL or the CPL. I can't get into the IPL because it's too dramatic. Everything is overdone. The overhyped commentary, the sponsoring of anything and everything, fans constantly shouting about nothing. Plus it's gone to pay TV this year (no longer on ITV4). The Natwest Blast is the opposite. It's too low key, and the season too drawn out. You want matches everyday in T20 cricket for a month rather than every Friday or so over several months. However, the crowds have been very good at the Blast this year. Surrey, for example, regularly sell out the Oval for their home games.

Last edited:

Hurricane

I saw some game that offended my sensibilities.

Team A scored 200.
Team B had Chris Gayle who got out in the second over. Team B then through in the towel and made no attempt to keep up the run rate and were all out for 87 in the 14th over.

Only Pollard played a few shots in anger. Mahela scored 12 off 14 balls. Lynn scored 20(21). I didn't really understand the strategy. Perhaps the pitch became hard to bat on. Some of the commentators have said that the pitches are slow.

harsh.ag

Would have probably caught a couple of games if Wimbledon and Ashes weren't happening at the same time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Definitely a timezone thing for me.
Crosses a bit into the day our time doesn't it? Guess most are at work though.

I watched a tiny bit over the weekend. The sound of vuvuzelas was brutal, could barely watch with the sound on.

Howe_zat

I think it suffers from a few problems on here:

Firstly it's a T20 series, when T20 isn't highly regarded.

Secondly it's hardly got a load of big names playing.

Thirdly it's in a relative backwater in terms of CW members.

Finally, the Ashes are going on at the same time.
All true but I reckon it not being televised is the real killer

Goughy

To be honest, despite living in the region and it being on TV, I have not given the CPL much attention myself. However, now it has moved to Trinidad I have tickets for three games and I am scheduled to join a net session with Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel. Will let people know how it goes.

Spark

Global Moderator
I tried to watch a game but got so fed up that every single thing had a sponsor (that's a Tetley Brewing Crowd Catch, a DLF Maximum, a HMRC Danny Morrison Cliche etc. etc.) that it was basically unwatchable.

Perhaps with some CW Commentary it would have been okay.
Howe, Slim Shady and I for our little ~secret~ test commentary did an IPL game, was quite fun actually.

Goughy

Well I have just watched my first ever game of Nine/9 (rain delayed Red Steel vs Zouks) and it was the most exhilarating game of cricket I have watched live. Sport doesnt always have to be art with depth and meaning. Sometimes it can just be pure entertainment. A wall of sound from a passionate crowd, every ball meant something, a close finish and watching guys like KP and Kallis. My kids loved it and they hate sport!

Last edited: