• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cracking an egg

Langeveldt

Soutie
After another meal of bacon and eggshells I've come here for advice, a desperate man..

Techniques, tips, advice, greatly appreciated..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha, I always get just one or two tiny bits of shell in my egg. Manage to get the yolk ok usually, but just one or two tiny bits of shell.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Use the larger "cup" shaped bits of eggshell to fish out the little chips. Crack it by smacking it on the bench then pulling it rather than hitting it on the bowl. (crappy description, but it's a hard thing to write out rather than simply show).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Use the larger "cup" shaped bits of eggshell to fish out the little chips. Crack it by smacking it on the bench then pulling it rather than hitting it on the bowl. (crappy description, but it's a hard thing to write out rather than simply show).
but doesnt the crack need to be a thin long one? I imagine cracking it on the side of a bench would just destroy it's structural integrity.. Used a knife today on the second egg with shocking results

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Just crack it a bit, then split the crack wider with your thumbs, and let the yolk slide out between your thumbs. A bit messy on your thumbs, but generally leaves things shell free.

Edit: thumbs thumbs thumbs

Langeveldt

Soutie
Just crack it a bit, then split the crack wider with your thumbs, and let the yolk slide out between your thumbs. A bit messy on your thumbs, but generally leaves things shell free.

Edit: thumbs thumbs thumbs
I've been enjoying better results recently, but still can't get the yolk to stay intact, just goes all over the show

Johnners

Get a cup, crack it on the edge of the cup, open it like geg said and open it into the cup. Then fish any remaining bits of egg shell out with a spoon (or whatever you can get them out with) before putting into the frying pan for cooking

Langeveldt

Soutie
Get a cup, crack it on the edge of the cup, open it like geg said and open it into the cup. Then fish any remaining bits of egg shell out with a spoon (or whatever you can get them out with) before putting into the frying pan for cooking
Sounds good, thanks

Matt79

Global Moderator
Nah, you want it crazed but still sorta held together by the membreme underneath. Then you pull at te two ends to take it apart. At worst you end up with one decent sized bit of eggshell falling in, which is easily removed. Give a sharp, but not too hard rap.

Mr Casson

Agree with Geg and Clapo. Didn't realise it was such a big deal, because I'm a terrible cook and I can do it relatively easily. Firm bang on the side of the frypan or whatever followed by pulling the rest apart with thumbs usually does the trick, even if a tad messy. If there's eggshells in my food I can't tell, and that's good enough for me.

Also, great thread, will give it five stars.

Uppercut

Using a knife works much better for me. You have to give it a firm whack though. Eggshells are usually the result of someone pussy-footing around with timid little taps.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agree with Geg and Clapo. Didn't realise it was such a big deal, because I'm a terrible cook and I can do it relatively easily. Firm bang on the side of the frypan or whatever followed by pulling the rest apart with thumbs usually does the trick, even if a tad messy. If there's eggshells in my food I can't tell, and that's good enough for me.

Also, great thread, will give it five stars.
Yeah, this is me, although I have other problems when I fry eggs, which are somewhat inexplicable