• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW helps little NZ pick it's new flag

Days of Grace

top right looks pretty good to me. as much as i agree with spikey's 'piss off southern cross' sentiment, i do feel like keeping that link to the past flag is worthwhile, at least for letting people understand the change a bit better.

But why red instead of black? What significance does red have to New Zealand?

Athlai

Not Terrible
But why red instead of black? What significance does red have to New Zealand?
The Red is a throwback to both the British "red" and the Maori "red". It's a pretty important colour in terms of heritage. The one issue I have with that though is that red in flags is typically the colour of revolution. Though I suppose there are plenty of flags around where thats not exactly the case.

I think if they wanted the red in it then they should have used the red/white/black variation of the flag, seems neither here nor there to me personally with the red corner and the blue "ocean" with the southern cross.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
"papa" in common use means "any mudstone i cbf describing properly"

the life of interpreting the descriptions of cores drilled by engineers last year....

Flem274*

123/5
the triangle one is growing on me, but still think chucking a fern or a koru on a background works best. just get the union jack off the thing.

Gnske

It's not "rightly or wrongly", it's just straight up wrong.

It's 2015, we're designing a new flag and "veer away" from representation of our indigenous population who are the 2nd most populous ethnicity in the country and who were one half of the founding document of the ****ing country for christ sake.

But hey, the silver fern! The All Blacks! We'll do a haka but we won't let that represent us. Because, you know, that's a Maori thing. Not an "us" thing.
In that case,

Just throw a rugby ball on the flag with "Christchurch Boys High School" emblazoned across the top, that'll do the trick.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Meaning should be how the people of the country see themselves and their history (good luck agreeing on that...I can just imagine the ****storm if the USA had a contest for a completely new design). But going by purely aesthetics, I like the one people are posting above.

I actually like some of the black and white designs, but I'm not sure if they would work for a flag. It's a little too outside the box - though I'm sure it's something that'll be odd for a while and then people get used to it.

Some of the other designs are cool in theory....like I saw one that just looked like a bunch of penises....Also, lol@hypnoflag...totally looks like that.

Last edited:

cpr

Meaning should be how the people of the country see themselves and their history (good luck agreeing on that...I can just imagine the ****storm if the USA had a contest for a completely new design)..
An eagle, on top of the world, with a semi automatic in its talons.

On a white background of course.

Hurricane

The semi automatic part is not as far fetched as it sounds even though you meant it in jest. Learned the other day that Mozambique has an AK47 on their flag.
Had a long discussion about it, they changed their flag not long ago and are really happy with the process. They all had deep discussions with their local councils and discussed what symbols they wanted. None of this "what does NZ mean to you business" just right to the heart of the matter. They voted on an AK47 as it had great significance for their fight for independence. Then they talked about the colours next.

Our process has been less desirable.

"John Key - what flags do you think you should be in the final four?" A fern and anything else for variety. Rightho we will make it so say the committee.

Still that said a fern is still a good choice, and I hope we do make a change, although the recent poll said that 66% would be voting to keep the old one.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

I guess you haven't seen the official U.S. Emblem? It's an eagle holding an olive branch in one talon and arrows in the other. I suppose the arrows are outdated. We can update it to a tomahawk in one talon and a drone in the other.

This one could be pretty cool:
http://www.groundzeromedia.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/america-try-and-stop-us.jpg

Last edited: