• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn

smalishah84

The Tiger King
I know that I am going to get hammered for this, and let me preface it by stating that Imran is a definite ATG fast bowler and one of the top 2 bowling All Rounders to play the game, but he averaged almost 26 with a strike rate of 60 outside of Pakistan. Again those are ATG numbers, but not in the discussion as the best ever.

So again for me it's Marshall, McGrath and Steyn who separates themselves from the pack.
I wish you had actually watched him bowl on anything other than stats guru

Dan

Global Moderator
But was the batting weak because the fast bowling was so flipping good, or because everyone born circa 1948 spontaneously forgot how to bat?

Slifer

But was the batting weak because the fast bowling was so flipping good, or because everyone born circa 1948 spontaneously forgot how to bat?
I have no idea. I was being sarcastic tbh and was just trying to prove a point to couple of posters who came up with the genius theory that batting was weak in the 80s and the likes of MM (and therefore by extension his contemporaries) had it easy.

IMO it had more to do with the bowlers keeping batsmen in check. Even in the 90s if I recall, only like 4 or so batsmen averaged 50+. Then all of a sudden several of the greats retired (circa early 2000s) and all of a sudden batting averages exploded.

watson

Banned
Steyn has played 12 Tests against India and 9 Tests against Sri Lanka, yet has dismissed Tendulkar only 3 times and Sangakkara twice. So not overly excited by Steyn's effort against the premier batsman of his day.

No offence to Michael Clarke.who's been knocked over 9 times in 14 Tests.

Dan

Global Moderator
Yeah but he wasn't on debut against Tendulkar, which we all know gives immense benefits to a young bowler.

Dan

Global Moderator
In all seriousness though, the potentiality for this type of analysis will drive CC into a whole new basement of tedious statistical pedantry.

OverratedSanity

Steyn's a nice guy though. He only dismissed them once or twice because deep down he's a Sanga and Sachin fanboy and wants them to be recognized as great batsmen. He knows that if he dismissed them each innings, like he could, they'd be shown up for the mediocre batsmen against fast bowling that they are.

That reminds me, Viv Richards was such a shunt. Lillee dismissed him 9 times.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
Look at the guy. Greatest alpha male in the history of sport:

Seriously, WAFJ this is:

Arachnodouche

Batting techniques in general have deteriorated so drastically over the last ten years that the "gun inspite of flat pitches" arguments gets evened out. He's still the best post-Mcgrath but not sure where he would fit among the group from the earlier generation.

OverratedSanity

Batting techniques in general have deteriorated so drastically over the last ten years that the "gun inspite of flat pitches" arguments gets evened out. He's still the best post-Mcgrath but not sure where he would fit among the group from the earlier generation.
Ok, Chappelli