• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you wear a helmet while biking?

wellAlbidarned

OK so recently I've been getting a load of **** from friends and classmates because of my decision to bike without a helmet. Do you guys wear one? Is it compulsory in your country? What are your views on the matter?

Gnske

Of course not, I'd rather die and have my brains turned into goop on the side of the road than have my head look like a glans while i'm biking.

wellAlbidarned

Is this a serious question?

Anyway. Your call but if i was cycling I'd be wearing one for the same reason I wear a seatbelt in the car.
Rates of head injuries for both walking as a pedestrian and driving a car are higher than for riding a bike. If it's a matter of safety surely we should be consistent?

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

Of course not, I'd rather die and have my brains turned into goop on the side of the road than have my head look like a glans while i'm biking.
Wearing a helmet actually makes you more likely to be involved in an accident. Pretty much zero evidence that wearing one makes you safer.

Spikey

Can't imagine I'd be too keen to wear one if I'm just going doing a quick errand and going along quiet streets

Top_Cat

Not compulsory in Germany so don't wear one.

That said, there is dedicated cycling infrastructure here and attitudes toward cyclists are completely different. If I was in Oz, even if not compulsory, would probably don a helmet on the off chance some geared-up bogan decides to **** with me.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Your call albi but I've met too many people with mental health, memory and substance abuse issues at least partially caused by multiple concussions/coma

hendrix

Ftr this is why we use inbred, near genetically identical mice in experiments. If you can control one factor it's much easier to get statistically significant results.

The question that is asked is "do helmets reduce the severity of brain injury in accidents". It's not rates of injury: Helmets don't prevent accidents. very hard to answer that question by looking at incidents of injury as each accident has a different degree of severity so the statistical power is minute and is unlikely to give you a true answer, no matter how many factors you control for. Pedestrian and motorist incidents also don't answer the question at all, because they're completely irrelevant unless you're talking about lawmaker consistency. And frankly I'm dubious about Albi's claims.

No, the best answer to this question in the absence of controlled trials is mechanistic; I.e. Crash test dummies.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ftr this is why we use inbred, near genetically identical mice in experiments. If you can control one factor it's much easier to get statistically significant results.

The question that is asked is "do helmets reduce the severity of brain injury in accidents". It's very hard to answer that question by looking at incidents of injury as each accident has a different degree of severity so the statistical power is minute and is unlikely to give you a true answer, no matter how many factors you control for. Pedestrian and motorist incidents also don't answer the question at all, because they're completely irrelevant unless you're talking about lawmaker consistency. And frankly I'm dubious about Albi's claims.

No, the best answer to this question in the absence of controlled trials is mechanistic; I.e. Crash test dummies.
This is ruling out a ridiculous amount of scientific study.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not really. Read my post again.

It's about statistical power and significance.
Yes. And it's still ruling out entire branches of scientific research. Just because controlled trials are easier to confirm results, by no means makes them the only statistically significant way to perform a study.