• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elegant batsmen

JBMAC

Peter May, Ted Dexter, Tom Graveney,Greg Chappell, Dirk Wellham, Bob Cowper, David Gower, Alvin Kallicharan, Farok Engineer, These will all do for a start

OverratedSanity

Elegant attacking (relatively) batsmen : Azharuddin, VVS, Sangakkara, Martyn, Greg Chappell, Gundappa Vishwanath

Elegant but dour batsmen : Dravid, Kallis, Gavaskar

Elegant crap (relatively) batsmen : Darren Ganga, Sibanda, Hemang Badani

aussie tragic

Elegant attacking (relatively) batsmen : Azharuddin, VVS, Sangakkara, Martyn, Greg Chappell, Gundappa Vishwanath

Elegant but dour batsmen : Dravid, Kallis, Gavaskar
Dour: relentlessly severe, stern, or gloomy in manner or appearance.

Elegant: pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.

Seems it's one or the other, but not both in an 'Elegant Batsman thread' ;)

OverratedSanity

Dour: relentlessly severe, stern, or gloomy in manner or appearance.

Elegant: pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.

Seems it's one or the other, but not both in an 'Elegant Batsman thread' ;)
I see absolutely no contradiction. Dravid and Kallis were both gloomy and dull in the manner/pace of their batting while playing very stylish strokes

jcas0167

Frank Woolley was perhaps the original tall languid left handed batsmen. I remember Gower was likened to him.

His batting was somehow luminous, and part of the Kentish scene. His bat surely sent out sounds never heard from any other cricketer’s bat, muted music of the game.
the 42 year old Woolley when, in 1929, he scored 219 against Bradman’s New South Wales. Forty years later he wrote it remains one of the most majestic and classical innings I have seen, with every stroke in the book played with supreme ease.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

Steve Waugh was elegant before he exchanged it for dour to increase his success. I get what your saying regarding Dravid, but I just agree with AT that dour is not the right word.