• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Emotion and Reason

weldone

I think emotion is about what you want and logic is about how to achieve it.
You're probably right about emotion, but logic is much more than that. Logic is the first filter you sometimes need to take your raw emotion through; logic is also your weapon to justify it to others. Implementation/achievement comes much later.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think emotion is about what you want and logic is about how to achieve it.
Haha, I think this is basically what most people mean when they say the word "justice" tbh.

I think I have gone on it before, but "We demand justice" almost always translates as "We demand to have what we want" in the majority of situations I find.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha, I think this is basically what most people mean when they say the word "justice" tbh.

I think I have gone on it before, but "We demand justice" almost always translates as "We demand to have what we want" in the majority of situations I find.
I still think you're being needlessly pedantic about this tbh.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It depends how you look at it I guess. In my experience people tend to use it in the opposite sort of way, that is to say in a emotion > logic sense.

E.g. "I don't care what the evidence says, this is just how I feel".

My students do this all the time ftr and it drives me mad.
Oh yeah, I hate that too. It's the anti-vaxxer catch call.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah same, I don't have a problem with the fact that justice is loosely defined and subjective.
I don't either necessarily, but if that's to the the case then it shouldn't be treated as some holier than thou concept, and be treated in the same way as any other notion/ethic/theory etc.

trundler

I will admit that sometimes I feel very repulsed by something without being able to put it into words. At some later point, upon consistently dwelling on the subject, I can usually pinpoint the reason why. It isn't so much a reaction out of absolute emotion than retrospectively rationalising my instinct. Just me?

I try my best not to believe in anything dogmatically though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well I'll have to defer to your expertise on the matter. It's not a subject area with which I have a great deal of familiarity.

Maximas

Shouldn’t this thread be in the off topic subbie?
It's meant to be a more introspective thread about how we form our opinions and shape our political perspective so I felt it was relevant to this subforum