• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Four teams for the semi-finals!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I would agree with you there A_B - and I guess that's what Marc meant as we're looking at Super Six qualification for WC'03.

De Silva just isn't quite at his peak anymore.

And as for Vaas, very good yes, world class not quite, but definitely the best quick bowler Sri Lanka have ever produced.

Anil

On current form and considering the conditions in SA, three of the teams should be Australia, South Africa, New Zealand. The fourth team could be any of WI, Ind, Eng, Pak and SL. It is pretty difficult to separate this group right now. Depends on who plays better under pressure.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Agreed with Australia and South Africa being near-definites.

However, I would put NZ in the same group as the other five and make it two from six. Their bowling has carried them lately and the batting has been uninspiring at best...

Anil

Neil Pickup said:
Agreed with Australia and South Africa being near-definites.

However, I would put NZ in the same group as the other five and make it two from six. Their bowling has carried them lately and the batting has been uninspiring at best...
Agreed, but with the return of Cairns, their bowling and batting will be strengthened. Added to that, they have Astle, McMillan, Fleming, Richardson, Vincent...doesn't look all that bad plus their bowling looks really good right now with Bond, Tuffey, Oram & Vettori. Add to that the fact that they have always been superb fielders and...I didn't mean to imply that NZ were as strong as Aus and SA. My point of view was that they were the best of the remaining bunch and as such should get into the last four.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I can see your point... but I don't think their batting lineup is all that it's talked up to being.

No disrespect to Zaheer, Srinath and Nehra, but they aren't the hottest guys around, and they've had them at sixes and sevens these last few weeks.

If Lawson, Dillon, Collins and Drakes, or even the Sri Lankan quicks Vaas, Gunaratne, Nissanka, and the Fernandos can get in and amongst them I can see them falling quickly.

Rik

Choora said:
Certainly the below mentioned statements were avoidable as it did not contributed to the discussion that was taking place.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, but if you are going to continue with your tactic of telling people to get their stats right then you had better get yours sorted too

Tuffey indeed played against England for New Zealand in January and took career best figures of 6-54 in the last Test of the Series to win the Test for New Zealand and draw the Series.

It's not hard is it
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway i have nothing more to say on this topic.
Sheesh, that wasn't even ment for you! :rolleyes:

Anil

Neil Pickup said:
I can see your point... but I don't think their batting lineup is all that it's talked up to being.

No disrespect to Zaheer, Srinath and Nehra, but they aren't the hottest guys around, and they've had them at sixes and sevens these last few weeks.

If Lawson, Dillon, Collins and Drakes, or even the Sri Lankan quicks Vaas, Gunaratne, Nissanka, and the Fernandos can get in and amongst them I can see them falling quickly.
Their batting hasn't exactly set the stands on fire these past couple of weeks, but that's also due to the nature of the pitches. Based on performances on these pitches, you really can't predict as to what they will or won't do in SA where the pitches while being fast and bouncy will also be truer. I didn't say they were great, I just said they were competent enough to reach the semis.

Choora

Rik said:
Sheesh, that wasn't even ment for you! :rolleyes:
You quoted my words after which you came to that reply, now you claim that it wasn't meant for me!! Something is definately wrong with you then:rolleyes:

anilramavarma said:
Agreed, but with the return of Cairns, their bowling and batting will be strengthened. Added to that, they have Astle, McMillan, Fleming, Richardson, Vincent...doesn't look all that bad plus their bowling looks really good right now with Bond, Tuffey, Oram & Vettori. Add to that the fact that they have always been superb fielders and...I didn't mean to imply that NZ were as strong as Aus and SA. My point of view was that they were the best of the remaining bunch and as such should get into the last four.
Cairns is out of the Cup with injury and so is Harris.NZ still have a good bowling line up but their batting is weak, another problem is that they lack allrounders( with the unavailability of Harris and Cairns) and as such their tail is very long!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
onemangang said:
C Cairns won't make it to the WC, atmost he can play purely as a batsmen, but the chances of even that are pretty slim!
I'm not so sure of that, I reckon he'll be there, which is why they've been not rushing him back.

Anil

Regarding Cairns, I thought they weren't taking any chances with him because they want him to be fit in time for the WC.

Neil Pickup said:
Since when has Cairns been out the WC?

R Hadlee has said that all Cairns can do is take part in the WC purely as a batsmen because of injury, its now to be seen if he does make it to the team or not!

marc71178 said:
Since the Terrace element decided it.

Didn't you know they're ALWAYS right?

Stop all this name calling and behave yourself, you have not even been provoked yet you are behaving like a premature individual!

anzac

if Cairns & Harris are out thru injury then the Kiwi commentators don't know about it, as both feature in their predicitions today for the NZ WC 15 man squads, & I heard no talk of injuries!!!!

and considering that the commentary team consists of the likes of Smith, Crowe, Coney etc I would have thought they would be in the know so to speak!!!!

;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vandemataram said:
R Hadlee has said that all Cairns can do is take part in the WC purely as a batsmen because of injury, its now to be seen if he does make it to the team or not!
Funny how that report never made anything like Cricinfo, and none of the Kiwi's seem to know anything about it!

Rik

Choora said:
You quoted my words after which you came to that reply, now you claim that it wasn't meant for me!! Something is definately wrong with you then:rolleyes:
Ever pressed the quote button on a post you didn't mean to reply to? No? Thought not...:rolleyes: