• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting rid of old magazines

stumpski

And no, before you ask, it's not one of those :naughty: moments ...

Just been up in the loft, because I wanted to post in a music-based forum about Robin Beck (#1 in 1988 with "First Time") and I thought I had an old Record Mirror with an interview; then I thought, is this really worth hanging on to a 30 year old stash of music mags for? Also, I have cricket magazines (mainly The Cricketer, but also Wisden Cricket Monthly) going back to the early 70s. Now, I know deep down that I am never going to read any of these magazines again. The pleasure, if any, derives from owning them, and knowing that they're there if I wanted to refer to one of them. And clearly people are divided into hoarders and chuckers-out, and I think I know which I am. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this? I did get rid of about ten years' worth of Q mags a few years ago (that was a car job!) so I know I'm capable of doing it, if need be.

(I think I'm more interested to hear from those who are collectors themselves, and have a similar problem, than those who never keep anything, and can't see what the problem is)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
All I can say is that I was genuinely gutted when my mother slung out my old NMEs & Melody Makers that weren't hurting anyone in her garage. Doesn't even ****ing drive and has two sheds for her own crap.

We're naturally hunter gatherers, there's an evoluntionary imperative at work in keeping old mags.

'S my excuse anyway.

stumpski

My gut feeling (and as I write this I'm looking at a pile of RMs about 10 inches high) is to keep the older copies, and chuck out the most recent, if room needs to be made. A copy of The Cricketer from 1930 is clearly worth more than one from 1990; however, they have to be pretty old before they acquire any sort of resale value, as I think Martin would confirm. As a start (of sorts) I've stopped keeping my cricket mags since last year.

fredfertang

I've just about run out of space in which to house my collection - the choices are build an extension or just wait till my eldest goes back to Uni and I get his room back - getting rid of anything (other than him or a bit of garden) simply not an option

fredfertang

All I can say is that I was genuinely gutted when my mother slung out my old NMEs & Melody Makers that weren't hurting anyone in her garage. Doesn't even ****ing drive and has two sheds for her own crap.
that's outrageous Brumbers - I suggest sackcloth and ashes for her next Xmas present

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
My parents got rid of all my copies of Sonic the Comic not long ago, I was utterly dismayed.

Agent Nationaux

I used to collect the beano and then playstation magazines when I got a little older but I'm not much of a hoarder and have lost taste in computer games so got rid of them ages ago.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah same actually, had stacks of N64/Dreacmast/Playstation Magazines. Imagine they've probably all been thrown out by now. Would still occasionally buy magazines of that type though, if the same content wasn't available online for free anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Loved the Dreamcast. Amongst my favourite consoles for sure. And yeah, had Crazy Taxi, was gun. Sonic Adventure and Shenmue got the most play time from me though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Best game ever. Not kidding. Could play it through again now, and would still stand up well against many other things that have been released since.

HeathDavisSpeed

I think my brother has a collection of Amstrad Actions from the mid-80s somewhere and also a collection of one of those "the first edition is 1 quid, but you'll have to take out a mortgage the size of a small African country to afford the whole set" magazines somehow related to the Acorn Electron somewhere.

Current Resale Value = Zero GBP.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
**** JSR, hate weeaboo music.

Skies of Arcadia, thank you very muchhhhh.
Battle theme in that was ace. Characters were cool as well.

Hasn't stood the test of time well though imo. Mainly because the battle system is so goddamn slow.

That said, if you cut the battle system out of Grandia 2 and jammed it into Skies you'd have an amazing game.

Ruckus

Loved the Dreamcast. Amongst my favourite consoles for sure. And yeah, had Crazy Taxi, was gun. Sonic Adventure and Shenmue got the most play time from me though.
YES. Was one of the few to buy a DC as well. Like you my favourite games were Shenmue and Sonic (also loved Soul Calibur...and honorable mentions to Virtua Tennis and Vigilante 8 which were tons of fun multiplayer). Shenmue was suucchh an awesome game though...and pretty revolutionary at the time. Still stands up well even today. Sold my DC before I got to play Shenmue 2 unfortunately though, so it ended with a bit of a cliff hanger (which it sounds as though the second one has as well, and might never be resolved).

So disappointing the DC didn't get more recognition though. It really was a pretty damn good console at the time...and could have been even better if more games were made for it.

timfoster

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but I'm clearing my fathers house and have come across hundreds of old cricket magazines. Most of them are The Cricketer, Cricket Monthly or Wisden, but when I say hundreds, I mean hundreds. They go back to the early 60's. There are also a number of yearbooks and these go back to 1933.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get them valued?