• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Haddin?

flibbertyjibber

yeah but the two post contradict each other, no?

I mean if his family is here why would he go home if it's what we're expecting?
If they were here he'd already be with them not at Lord's if it is what we fear.

Just keeping fingers crossed we all jumped the gun here and it not what we think.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The family might be in England with him, but they'd still probably want to all go home if there's something seriously wrong.

Spikey

It could be a short term issue (ie a sudden medical emergency) which more or less prevents haddin from playing in this match, but won't require 13 months or whatever in hospital again

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The family might be in England with him, but they'd still probably want to all go home if there's something seriously wrong.
If there was something urgently wrong the last thing I'd want to do is spend a day getting from London to Sydney.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
First article I read suggested he was still hanging around the squad, at least he hasn't had to rush off.
Personal reasons could mean a few things I guess. Fingers crossed.

adub

All the same it could very well mean the end for Hadds. If Nev comes in and performs even competently with some tidy glovework and some handy runs it would be pretty hard to see any reason to rush Haddin back. Almost impossible if we get a win up.

In some ways it's done the selectors a favour, but Rad has been a great servant for the cause. Hopefully if it is the end then that is the last of the bad news for him and his family.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Good article that.

I'm still not convinced on Nev with the bat, but that's probably more from his Victorian days.

Top_Cat

He's decent against the turning ball though, isn't he? Looks a good target for Anderson but must confess to not having seen much of him.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, quick light feet. Didn't really sweep though, maybe a little lap a la his ramp, which he's very good at.

We all used to just bowl straight, set straight fields and then he'd start playing square around his pads to get off strike, LBW chance.

Compton

Australia could probably use the change in the batting line-up. If I'm not mistaken Nevill is a bit more of an accumulator than Haddin, and Australia's mid/low order of Watson-Haddin-Johnson-Starc has too many shot makers and not enough players that look to occupy the crease and get in.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think Johnson's necessarily a shot maker, he'll just score really quickly when he's on it because he's such a clean hitter.

adub

Seeing Nev with red ink wouldn't surprise at all. 18 not outs in 80 innings is pretty high especially when you consider he's spent a fair amount of time at either 6 or opener for NSW in the Shield. Should be a guy you can rely on to get some good returns from the tail if his Shield efforts are anything to go by.

Julian87

Australia could probably use the change in the batting line-up. If I'm not mistaken Nevill is a bit more of an accumulator than Haddin, and Australia's mid/low order of Watson-Haddin-Johnson-Starc has too many shot makers and not enough players that look to occupy the crease and get in.
Yeah agree big time with this, Even if Watson is replaced by marsh it's the same issue.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You do only have about 6 Tests between numbers 5 - 7 in the batting order, which England would be pretty keen to get their teeth into.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
One thing about Nevill - he's the best junior/grade keeper I've seen, but a lot of those skills aren't necessarily relevant to what a good Test wicket-keeper requires.

You aren't keeping up to medium pacers in Test cricket.
Express pace and the ball moving after the stumps.
You are always keeping on first day wickets in junior/grade cricket.