• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is White Trash a racist term?

Black_Warrior

So I have seen this term used a great deal, quite openly, mainly to refer to white people who themselves tend to be racist. But irrespective of the behaviour of said group, isn't it still racist to refer to them by this term?

And there isn't really the stigma attached to this term the way there is to other racist/derogatory terms and there aren't really any repurcussions for using this term in public

Thoughts?

duffer

I've only ever heard it used in public a couple of times. By white people themselves.

Or what Athers said above.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Yes but more so, it is a way to demonise the poor, in particular those from particular backgrounds in America. It is wrong to use in my opinion.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I adopted Whiskey Tango as my preferred synonym after I heard it used in Generation Kill.

It's clearly derogatory, but to call it "racist" is a bit of a stretch. Especially as it's mainly used by white people.

Victor Ian

I don't think I have ever used White Trash (aside from the milk bottles). Take the racist colour identity out of it and just call them trash. I like to call them ferals.

brockley

I don't call whitrash on etiquite or morals,or general goodness,to me thats not white trash.
Neither do I call all ferals white trash some can be inteliigent beings.

Its not a term of class.
Actions speak louder than words.

If your a drug user,lazy,unkempt,loud etc etc that translates to me as white trash.

You can be unemployed,been looking for work,do volunteer work,be neat,cordial etc etc.

Victor Ian

Trash has nothing to do with income. Some of the greatest people on Earth are/have been poor. Nor is wearing unkempt clothing necessarily trashy. There have been a few reality series on tv featuring some very expensively dressed and rather wealthy trash. Trash seems to be all about one's mental and moral facilities. I feel poor morals and ignorance are the hall marks of trash. Basically, it's about training and self restraint. That is why I prefer 'feral'.

With all their unrivalled advantages it is funny that the colour association of trash is white. What do we call black, brown and yellow trash?

watson

Banned
No words of themselves are intrinsically racist or insulting. It all depends on their context, who says them, and why.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't call whitrash on etiquite or morals,or general goodness,to me thats not white trash.
Neither do I call all ferals white trash some can be inteliigent beings.

Its not a term of class.
Actions speak louder than words.

If your a drug user,lazy,unkempt,loud etc etc that translates to me as white trash.

You can be unemployed,been looking for work,do volunteer work,be neat,cordial etc etc.
Yeah, this is about class.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Whether it's racist or not I'd be inclined to avoid using it. Any sort of derogatory term which has a characteristic or trait that is beyond the control of the individual who possesses it at its heart is pretty unsavoury to me.

Actually, maybe not any characteristic/trait. But certainly anything to do with race, health, physical or mental impairment etc.

Baiting people for being short is fair game though :ph34r:

Last edited: