• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is your professional life affecting your personal life?

yaju

Professionally, I am an Application Developer, PL/SQL for Oracle, primarily working in SQL Tuning and Database Design.

I waited for several years to be in IT industry, as my biggest passion was Computers.

Anyway, about my profession affecting my personal life, I will simply share the dream I had today morning, around 6'o clock. You can make whatever inference you wish.

Software Engineer Yaju Arya said:
Brain is like a transactional table, whatever events we watch in our life, all of them get recorded in it like a new row entry in a table. When we remember something old, it fetches row for that particular timestamp using a select query and displays it on the screen of our mind.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Did for a fair few months recently - place had a crap atmosphere with rumours of office closures etc. meaning I was stressed out and depressed out of the office.

Since I got a new job, (less than 3 weeks left here) - I'm much more relaxed and happy at home!

Adamc

Throws the Shakespearean authorship question wide open imo.

All the world's a stage,
And the brain is like a transactional table,
Whatever events we watch in our life,
All of them get recorded in it like a new row entry in a table.
When we remember something old,
It fetches row for that particular timestamp using a select query
And displays it on the screen of our mind.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm a freelance videographer/editor. Business is slow in Trinidad these days (yes, we have cameras in Trinidad) and it happens to coincide with a World Cup. So yes, my professional life is affecting my personal life, insomuch as it allows me to watch the entire World Cup.

benchmark00

I'm a freelance videographer/editor. Business is slow in Trinidad these days (yes, we have cameras in Trinidad) and it happens to coincide with a World Cup. So yes, my professional life is affecting my personal life, insomuch as it allows me to watch the entire World Cup.
lol freelance. Just say you're unemployed/unemployable and get on with it ****.

And another thing, your website/hair cut offends me.

howardj

I've just finished work for the day (log on at home during the night after I do normal office hours)

This time of year is absolute hell

I don't get paid anywhere near enough to justify the hours I do

I probably earn the least of all my professional friends, but work the craziest hours

So yes, my professional life is all consuming at present

Burgey

I'm fortunate that I have a wonderful job. My bosses are really like mates, I run my own race and, unuusually in my line of work, I'm in now way a slave to the timesheet.

I work reasonable hours, am well paid and am fortunate enough to travel and get fringe benefits like the phone paid for, a car space and nice lunches. Very, very lucky.

So, my professional life, fortunately doesn't affect my personal life. It used to when I worked elsewhere - long hours, maximum stress etc. Glad to have left that behind..

Funny thing lately though, find my personal life is really effecting my work. Quite a lot actually.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm fortunate that I have a wonderful job. My bosses are really like mates, I run my own race and, unuusually in my line of work, I'm in now way a slave to the timesheet.

I work reasonable hours, am well paid and am fortunate enough to travel and get fringe benefits like the phone paid for, a car space and nice lunches. Very, very lucky.

So, my professional life, fortunately doesn't affect my personal life. It used to when I worked elsewhere - long hours, maximum stress etc. Glad to have left that behind..

Funny thing lately though, find my personal life is really effecting my work. Quite a lot actually.
And all it cost you was your soul! :ph34r:

Ausage

Considering I understood your dream and even thought it was profoundly poetic, I think my professional life might be effecting my personal life.

Goughy

The 7 months until the end of April, my work aged me 5 years, added 30 lbs (15 kg), started smoking again (since quit again) made my homelife difficult and caused a lot of arguments. I existed to do 1 thing and that 1 thing was dictated by work. I lived it and slept it. Part of it due to the task and the job and part of it due to how I deal with challenges. I was a horrible, selfish and stressed person that didnt treat my family as well as I should.

Now life is nice and relaxed and work is paying me back with a lot more time with the family.

Next time it will interfere will be in a different way. Not stress related but I will be seperated from my family for 6 weeks which I am dreading.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Being an entrepreneur, it is your capital and stakes involved. So you are thinking about business 24/7 and working all the time. Professional life is a PART of personal life. No real separation. Some might say it is a negative. I though, enjoy working for myself. Gives a lot of satisfaction when results are achieved.