• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Legalising marijuana - should it be done?

Should marijuana be legal?

• Total voters

Perm

Right, well I know this could differ across the world but I think marijuana is illegal in most countries. What are your thoughts on that? Should it be legalised?

_Ed_

I think so. I personally don't see the appeal of it but the statistics overwhelmingly suggest it's less harmful than tobacco so it makes no sense for the latter to be the one that's legal.

Spinksy

Banned
I don't think that it should be legalised because people will just go crazy over the stuff, to be perfectly honest if they do make it a legal substance they need to make a tight limit on the stuff or people will most likely just go and buy it by the kilo and then re-sell it to some poor bugger just so they can make money out of it, so it is a pretty stupid idea in the first place, there is to many down sides to legalising maraijuana that I am not going to list.

_Ed_

they need to make a tight limit on the stuff or people will most likely just go and buy it by the kilo and then re-sell it to some poor bugger just so they can make money out of it
I don't understand this argument - surely if it's legal that would happen less than it does at the moment?

KiWiNiNjA

I am reminded of a Daniel Tosh joke.

I think we should legalize marijuana so potheads never have anything to talk about ever again. God, you're so annoying.

You never see me taking this angle but I do with some force:

Grow up and do coke like an adult.

Perm

I don't think that it should be legalised because people will just go crazy over the stuff, to be perfectly honest if they do make it a legal substance they need to make a tight limit on the stuff or people will most likely just go and buy it by the kilo and then re-sell it to some poor bugger just so they can make money out of it, so it is a pretty stupid idea in the first place, there is to many down sides to legalising maraijuana that I am not going to list.
Why would people need to sell marijuana on the streets if shops or alcohol stores sold it? It would make absolutely no sense, unless it was selling to under-age kids as I assume marijuana would be R18 if sold openly, unlike it is now.

What other down sides do you have? Your first one wasn't very strong...

Perm

I think so. I personally don't see the appeal of it but the statistics overwhelmingly suggest it's less harmful than tobacco so it makes no sense for the latter to be the one that's legal.
You could probably add alcohol to the mix also, many people think that it is more harmful than marijuana.

_Ed_

You could probably add alcohol to the mix also, many people think that it is more harmful than marijuana.
Yeah, probably. I like to deny that though because I'm quite partial to the odd drink...and really it's only harmful if you're really stupid with your drinking.

Smudge

Not legalised, but decriminalised, for mine. Half the attraction for many first-time pot smokers is the taboo aspect, and if it's belittled to the equivalent of a traffic fine, where's the danger and thrill?

That said, I could see the benefits of legalising it (with perhaps an age restriction of 18) as it would kill off the black market, but that would probably just see the gangs in NZ pour more money into manufacturing P.

Spinksy

Banned
Why would people need to sell marijuana on the streets if shops or alcohol stores sold it? It would make absolutely no sense, unless it was selling to under-age kids as I assume marijuana would be R18 if sold openly, unlike it is now. What other down sides do you have? Your first one wasn't very strong...
That was exactly my point, many other people of the community will just give it to kids as if it was a nessessity, which it isn't. Only other thing is the prices, if sold openly as you suggest that it would will most likely be lower than the street value which is extremely high these days. Most people that are into the drugs in the first place are usually rich men and women, this means with the lower prices they will be able to afford alot more of it, that can only mean trouble for the modern day society that we live in. There will be alot of arguements if legalised aswell, 'if marijuana is legal then so should drugs like ice and cocaine.', the list goes on.

masterblaster

Prolonged or excessive use of marijuana does contribute to psychological problems to some degree. With the rising cases of depression, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder and OCD I don't really think legalising marijuana would have any real benefit.

I'm aware that it's a fairly soft drug when compared to the others, but you have to ask before you make any major decision that are there really any benefits to legalising this stuff? I don't see anything that would drastically improve the situation than it currently is now.

But then again, I'm pretty much an anti-drugs and anti-tobacco guy so my viewpoint probably won't be too popular.

masterblaster

Not legalised, but decriminalised, for mine. Half the attraction for many first-time pot smokers is the taboo aspect, and if it's belittled to the equivalent of a traffic fine, where's the danger and thrill?
I agree with that. Not a user myself and wouldn't want it freely available but decriminalisation seems like a better idea.

Mister Wright

There's valid arguments for both sides. As marijuana is often considered as a gateway drug, if you take it out of the hands of the dealers that sell it, and other much more dangerous drugs, then you go some way to eliminating that risk. You can also then put a lot more of the relevant authorities time into tackling the harder, more harmful drugs and give prosecutions of those drugs much tougher penalties.

One argument given for people not wanting to make marijuana legal is that it's going to give a lot more people access to it. In my experience, those people who don't want to do it won't, and those that do will find a way, often associating themselves with dangerous people and dangerous methods to get it.

Also, if you legalise marijuana you can control the strength of it, and make sure it is not coated with other drugs, which is another reason it should be taken out of the hands of street dealers.

I think, by far, the positives of legalisation outweigh the negatives. However, especially in Australia, it is going to take a very brave government to make it legal. I don't think there would be enough support for it throughout the community.

I think we've made the right steps in recent years to decriminilise (sp) marijuana as someone should not have their life ruined for being caught. I like the 3 strikes policy, and encouragement for rehabilitation. I think it's a good compromise, but marijuana is not going to go away, it's a popular drug. A government really needs to go on the front foot and limit the risk of street deals, and its effect as a gateway drug.

I've seen how successful legalisation has been in Holland, and I did not feel unsafe at all. That includes walking through the red light district and outer suburbs by myself late at night.

Perm

Yeah, probably. I like to deny that though because I'm quite partial to the odd drink...and really it's only harmful if you're really stupid with your drinking.
Haha as am I mate, but the amount of people (myself included, obv) who go overboard with the drinking is ridiculous. Comparatively, if you got really stoned then you are unlikely to hurt yourself or do things you would if you had been drinking. Plus, from what I hear, smoking marijuana can't actually kill you, unlike other drugs.

Spinksy

Banned
There's valid arguments for both sides. As marijuana is often considered as a gateway drug, if you take it out of the hands of the dealers that sell it, and other much more dangerous drugs, then you go some way to eliminating that risk. You can also then put a lot more of the relevant authorities time into tackling the harder, more harmful drugs and give prosecutions of those drugs much tougher penalties.

One argument given for people not wanting to make marijuana legal is that it's going to give a lot more people access to it. In my experience, those people who don't want to do it won't, and those that do will find a way, often associating themselves with dangerous people and dangerous methods to get it.

Also, if you legalise marijuana you can control the strength of it, and make sure it is not coated with other drugs, which is another reason it should be taken out of the hands of street dealers.

I think, by far, the positives of legalisation outweigh the negatives. However, especially in Australia, it is going to take a very brave government to make it legal. I don't think there would be enough support for it throughout the community.

I think we've made the right steps in recent years to decriminilise (sp) marijuana as someone should not have their life ruined for being caught. I like the 3 strikes policy, and encouragement for rehabilitation. I think it's a good compromise, but marijuana is not going to go away, it's a popular drug. A government really needs to go on the front foot and limit the risk of street deals, and its effect as a gateway drug.

I've seen how successful legalisation has been in Holland, and I did not feel unsafe at all. That includes walking through the red light district and outer suburbs by myself late at night.
Yeah, to be honest though with a government that has the head of Kevin Rudd it is hardly brave, stupid maybe but not brave. Kevin Rudd shouldn't be left with such a big decision to make, it usually won't end all that well.