• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Manly drinks?

FaaipDeOiad

I celebrated my 21st a couple of months back, and one of the gifts I picked up was a set of martini glasses. While past icons of male heterosexuality like Frank Sinatra and James Bond have patented martinis as part of their style, a discussion I had the other day asked whether or not a martini is still a "manly" drink. And, indeed, what other drinks qualified.

Can the tough, rugged, insecure young man of today enjoy a glass of wine or a martini without being accused of metrosexuality? Or are we expected to follow in David Boon's footsteps and stick to tinnies washed down by the occasional bourbon and coke?

Crucial questions.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You're just 21? Congrats. A year younger than me.

I don't put much stock into the metrosexual thing, drink what you like instead of getting into a pissing contest. I detest wine, but I also detest beer.

I prefer Vodka, Tequilla or Whiskey straight up. Sometimes I like the Tequilla Sunrise in the morning while watching India play test matches (thats tequilla + orange juice). Other than that I like it straight up, or with ice. Rarely, with company, I have a manhattan.

But its all about personal tastes, really. Nothing wrong with drinking fruity drinks if thats what you prefer, but to me I'd rather just drink fruit juice if I want something sweet. But thats just me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When I'm going shooting, a nice shot of whiskey right before I go wakes me up and helps my shooting a little bit. Jack Daniels is good for whiskey, but really any will do. Scotch is not bad either for that, but I prefer the oakish taste of whiskey.

For Vodka, there are lots of good brands. Tequilla is best cheap. Seriously, the cheaper the better for Tequilla. I mean if it looks like some Mexican smuggler put the bottle up his ass while he smuggled it over, you're in for some great taste.

Vodka, you can buy cheap but then you should filter it.

ash chaulk

it is considered "gay" to drink lolly water around the blokes. but if you've drunk all the beer, lolly water is next.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
ash chaulk said:
it is considered "gay" to drink lolly water around the blokes. but if you've drunk all the beer, lolly water is next.
I don't know about gay but I don't understand the popularity of drinks like Smirnoff Ice. I mean it tastes like lemonade...why not just drink lemonade? It makes no sense to me.

FaaipDeOiad

silentstriker said:
I don't put much stock into the metrosexual thing, drink what you like instead of getting into a pissing contest. I detest wine, but I also detest beer.
Haha, to be honest, I don't put any stock in it at all. It's just a topic for discussion.

I love a beer, myself. Never developed much of a taste for wine though.

Buddhmaster

I presume this thread is aimed at me. I pretty much just drink beer, usually cheap ones like Coldies or Carlton Draught, but I'll go the Jim Beam every now and then. Martinis aren't man drinks IMO, but they suit you Fuller.

FaaipDeOiad

16 tins of Spam said:
I think that being manly is drinking whatever the hell you like, even if your retard "mates" give you **** for it.
I think perhaps the thread sounded a little more serious than I intended it to. :p

16 tins of Spam

FaaipDeOiad said:
I think perhaps the thread sounded a little more serious than I intended it to. :p
Haha, yeah. I think my reply sounded a bit more serious than I intended it to. Still, I really don't get why "drinking lots of beer" = manly. I did when I was 16 though I guess.

16 tins of Spam

silentstriker said:
I am just learning latin, but doesn't that mean something like 'going to the inn'?
Close enough, yeah. I was making up a fancy sounding motto for our very social little backyard cricket club, when I thought of paraphrasing the RAF motto; "Per ardua ad astra", or "Through struggles we reach the stars".

So literally, ours means, "Through competition we reach the pub", which probably gives an indication of how professional our little band is :cool:

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
the real lowdown is drink anythin to get pissed.. although if a whiskey is on the table next to the martini go for the whiskey.