• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mini-battle: CPU Upgrade Options

Agent TBY

I'm giving my laptop away because ithat would help my dad who just moved cities. In return, I get my desktop upgraded. Well, I say upgrade, but it's basically a total overhaul.

Decided on the following common peripherals:
  1. 500GB SATA HDD
  2. 4GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
  3. Creative Sound-Blaster Audigy 7.1ch
  4. SONY DRU-170C Dual-Layer DVD-RW
  5. Have a 17" WS LCD Display already.

Need help, however, in choosing the Processor and GPU. I've come up with a list of three models each that fit in my budget, but I'm not very knowledgeable about these things, so choose one of each.

CPU:

AMD X2 6400+ @ 3.2Ghz vs Core 2 Duo E8400 (3ghz) vs. Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4ghz)

GPU:

Geforce 8800GT vs Radeon HD3870 vs Geforce 9600GT (All 512mb Vram)

Criteria:

1. Superior video processing. Should be able to deblock, denoise and sharpen H264 720p effortlessly. 1080p at a decent quality too. I've heard the 8800 doesn't support the PureVideo technology that the 8600 and, consequently the 9600 support. The Aviva technology that the Radeon has, I've heard, is superior.
  2. Not very keen on high-end gaming, so Crysis benchmark results are worth as much as dog poo. Should run mid-level games (VT3, GTA:SA level) at a decent framerate at high resolutions. Should not cause any problems with the next-gen versions of sport games that will hit the market soon.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What is your budget, I might be able to come up with a full system that is better than what you listed. Unless you are doing high end audio processing, you generally don't need a sound card. Many motherboards now have 7.1 sound card built in, which are excellent. Also, what motherboard are you buying - it's not listed?

Agent TBY

Looking to spend around 25-28G INR. Yeah, dropping the Sound card idea.

Haven't listed the motherboard because it depends on what processor I'm buying. Will mostly be going for the G31 though, because I don't see what the G33 has that the 31 doesn't. I certainly don't have the kind of money to be buying 8gigs worth of RAM.

Anyway, I've done a bit of snooping around, and I see buying an intensive graphics card means you'll have to get a new SMPS, which is another burden financially. Looking to settle for the 8600GT or the Radeon HD3650 now.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Looking to spend around 25-28G INR. Yeah, dropping the Sound card idea.

Haven't listed the motherboard because it depends on what processor I'm buying. Will mostly be going for the G31 though, because I don't see what the G33 has that the 31 doesn't. I certainly don't have the kind of money to be buying 8gigs worth of RAM.
You wanted 4GB, but you should realize that unless you have Vista 64 bit, 4 GB won't be fully utilized.

Agent TBY

That's the exchange rate, yes, but the rates here are higher by quite a bit.

The IT-Wares lists the market price right now in INR.

And no, I don't need a case or power supply because I already have a 400W PSU that I use with my P4.

SilentStriker said:
You wanted 4GB, but you should realize that unless you have Vista 64 bit, 4 GB won't be fully utilized.
That's the plan.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's the exchange rate, yes, but the rates here are higher by quite a bit.

The IT-Wares lists the market price right now in INR.

And no, I don't need a case or power supply because I already have a 400W PSU that I use with my P4.

That's the plan.
400W probably isn't good enough for a much more modern rig though. The case should be fine.