• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Black Caps Thread

_Ed_

Even if he doesnt score many runs, he plays an important role in running between the wickets and turning 1's into 2's. Therefore I feel statistics by themselves don't really do McCullum justice. So many times in important chases he has come in and done an awesome job at the other end while the in player scores the runs.
Very true. I remember a game against Pakistan here a few years back where he and Styris put on about 60 and at the end he was about 13 or 14 but his running was crucial in chasing down that target.

Perm

McCullum started his career slow, but has a average of 37 for his last 20 games and 72 for his last 10. I would say a fair wack of those games are vs Australia and Sri Lanka. Stats guru is down at the moment, but I would guess his average v Australia in his last 10 games verses them would be near 40-50.
289 runs at an average of 57.8 and a strike rate of 112. Impressive stuff.

_Ed_

I can hear the people from the happy home turning into my driveway coming to take me away, but I do still believe NZ have a good chance of winning the World Cup. Here's my flimsy reasoning:

(assuming we manage to beat SL (far from certain) and Australia beat SA (not certain either I guess but quite a bit closer to it))

* Although the 181* is a clear starting point for Hayden's amazing run of form, I actually believe it started earlier with his gutsy century in amazing heat in Perth in the CB series. With that in mind, even an in-form Hayden hasn't reached 50 against a NZ team with Shane Bond in it this summer (Bond also missed the Perth game). In Auckland in particular Bond had the upper hand, finishing his opening spell with ridiculously tidy figures having had Hayden playing and missing all over the place. Hayden then holed out trying to attack the lesser bowler in Mark Gillespie. Bond didn't play in Hamilton, or in the Super 8 match, both of which saw Hayden destroy the NZ pace attack.

* As well as having (I believe) an advantage over Hayden in their clashes this season, Bond has also dismissed Ricky Ponting six times in his career. And I find it hard to believe Adam Gilchrist doesn't still have nightmares about that yorker that got him in the VB Series 5 years ago.

* Mason & Gillespie went for 94 from 9 overs. I think it's safe to say Bond will go for a slightly smaller number of runs, and he should also eat in to the number of overs Franklin bowls (Franklin finished with 74 going from his eight overs). I believe this could easily take 100 off the margin from the last game. Sorry about all the Bond-related stuff but he really is quite a useful chap and I believe his presence will make a big difference.

* Surely we won't bat that badly again. I'd like to think Jacob Oram's presence in the middle order will make the batting lineup look a bit less fragile and make the batsmen panic a bit less if (or maybe I should say when) we lose early wickets again.

* Australia have a huge amount of expecation on their shoulders from their supporters. They are expecting a third World Cup win. Sure, this didn't stop them in the Ashes last summer, but it just might have an effect...maybe? Please?