• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NYTimes blocked in China

Quaggas

Sure that the average Chinese citizen already knows more about their kleptocrat leadership than the NYT ever will. #tiltingatwindmills

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well there's a difference between rumors and proof. Especially for a premier that is seen as anti-corruption. Everyone may 'know' their politicans are corrupt, but it's still a scandal when it's proven.

Quaggas

The ones that accept the NYT article as proof probably don't need more proof; the ones that don't, wouldn't be swayed by confession on state television. Unless followed by a swift bullet to the head for corruption.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's a weird assertion to make - what do you base that on? Clearly media revelations such as this can have a huge impact on public opinion in most countries. It was certainly tracking very high before NYTimes was banned in China.

Quaggas

You seriously think that individuals in China following the NYT online need more "proof" that their leadership is corrupt? Or that an article there will change their mind from "it's propaganda" to "oh, I see it clearly now, like a red rubber ball?"

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, I think proof changes things, quite a bit, even if people already have a perception of something being true without it. Otherwise, there'd be no corruption scandals - and there are, even in China.

Quaggas

The NYT's is hardly proof, though. This ban's like trying to put the butterflies back in the box.

Quaggas

Sure it is. We'll see what happens - I bet you there'll be an impact - especially considering the timing.
Hope you're right, but I fear you overestimate the reach of the NYT. After all, they've been know to report on international events from inside their comfy Manhattan coops.

You don't overcome sexy calves that easily.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
You seriously think that individuals in China following the NYT online need more "proof" that their leadership is corrupt? Or that an article there will change their mind from "it's propaganda" to "oh, I see it clearly now, like a red rubber ball?"
Yeah, agree with this.

At least in Pakistan so many corruption scandals come to light only to go off into the background with nothing heard about them afterwards. The people generally assume the leadership to be corrupt by default and would only sit and take notice if somebody with an extremely clean record is exposed badly through the media. And then people are like "oh, he turns out to be one of the crowd"

I doubt it really affects public perception.

And I won't be surprised if that is the case in China too.

andyc

Yes, I think proof changes things, quite a bit, even if people already have a perception of something being true without it. Otherwise, there'd be no corruption scandals - and there are, even in China.
The public in China are still very aware that the government is corrupt. Those corruption scandals that do occur tend to be because the person in question has fallen out of political favour.