• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

_Ed_

luckyeddie said:
Today......... was....... one....... of....... the....... best....... days....... of....... racing...... seen...... in...... New...... Zealand...... in...... the...... last...... decade....... Labelled...... 'Super..... Sunday.....', the..... day..... at..... Auckland's..... Ellerslie..... Racecourse..... had..... no..... fewer.... than.... six.... feature.... races..... With.... the.... weather.... finally.... co....-operating.... after... a... less... than... ideal... start... to... the.. carnival.., international.. jockeys.. such.. as.. Alan.. Munro.., Scott.. Seamer. and. Craig. Williams. taking. part., a. perfect track and a big crowd, it was close to perfect even beforethefirsthorsesetfootonthehallowedturf.

First paragraph rewritten in horseracingcommentaryese.
:D
Good work.

Smudge

Nice one, Ed.

My highlight on New Years Eve was seeing Howard Bromac dish it up to the opposition in the City Of Auckland Cup. Considering he was parked for about 1000m of the race, the way he went away from them in the straight was something special to see. He'll represent NZ with pride at the Interdoms. Howard Bromac is trained by Kirk Larsen, who trains our pacer, which raced at Omakau yesterday. He, too, had to face a stiff breeze for a bit, and ran on nicely for second. He's not far off a win in maidens hopefully.

Smudge

Speaking of our pacer, Beaudiene Holmes, I just popped down to the TAB to watch him race at the Invercargill meeting and he FINALLY won. Pretty gutsy run as he went three-wide from about 1000m yet was making ground on them the whole way and still had a bit left in the tank as he won, I thought.

The video of the race should be here later on tonight - race two at Invercargill HRC:

http://www.hrnz.co.nz/data/results/results.htm

It's true - there's no other feeling like having a horse you have a financial interest in win.

_Ed_

Awesome, congratulations!

I'm hoping to own a horse some time when I can afford it...a thoroughbred though.

Blewy

I know how you feel Volty... One of my Gallopers got up just before xmas at Wyong...

On top of that he paid a hefy $9..

Attachments

Slats4ever

psshht a hefty 9 bucks?

well I was at the SCG for the test match and during the lunch and tea breaks i went down to the tab to earn some money. I backed a horse paying $38.50 to 1 based on his form in the papers. Heck he had run 2444 and I thought the guys more than capable especially at those odds. And despite a appeal which lasted 25 minutes at the end of the race my horse was given the race by a nose and i was 190 richer.

_Ed_

Blewy said:
I know how you feel Volty... One of my Gallopers got up just before xmas at Wyong...

On top of that he paid a hefy $9..
Congrats! He's a really nice looking horse, great colour.

thewizard1o1

Voltman said:
Nice one, Ed.

My highlight on New Years Eve was seeing Howard Bromac dish it up to the opposition in the City Of Auckland Cup. Considering he was parked for about 1000m of the race, the way he went away from them in the straight was something special to see. He'll represent NZ with pride at the Interdoms. Howard Bromac is trained by Kirk Larsen, who trains our pacer, which raced at Omakau yesterday. He, too, had to face a stiff breeze for a bit, and ran on nicely for second. He's not far off a win in maidens hopefully.
I'll be interested to see how Howard Bromac goes in the Hunter Cup (if he comes), in the past he has been just a little bit behind the best horses, but the way he has been winning everything over there he has to be a huge show in the race.

Well done on your big winner too, only race the one horse?

Smudge

Yeah, I've just got an interest in the one horse.

Re: Howard - at the start of the season, Kirk felt it was going to be Howard's best season and, after being a little slow early on, he's really been in peak form. The Auckland Cup run was indicative of how tough he's been this season - he round them from 800-1000m out and at the top of the straight had them beat, including the ones that had softer runs than him. With Elsu's retirement, the Australasian crown is wide open and I think Howard is up there in the best three in NZ at least, alongside Mainland Banner and perhaps Alta Serena, who is a bit up and down.

I will be backing Howard in the Hunter Cup - although I'm probably a bit biased, since he's in the same stable as ours (although a heck of a lot better, obviously).

_Ed_

Time for another dig with Auckland Cup Week coming up. For NZers, can anyone beat Wahid in the Derby in two weeks?

I don't believe anyone who finished behind him today can. Black Panther ran on alright but Wahid fought him off. Charliehorse maybe, but he has so much to learn, still can't even run straight.

Congrats is amazingly talented, his last win at Waikato was effortless. But he hasn't run further than 1600m yet. Having said that though, his trainer has won four Derbies so knows what he's doing. Looking forward to seeing him meet some quality opposition for the first time.

Wahid will be 2-1 at best on Derby day, but rightly so I think. He's been in the first three 14 times out of 15.

Blewy

Saturday, One of my Horses is Running in the Group 3 Frank Packer Plate at Randwick...

He won his last start at Warwick Farm over the 1600m paying $26 and stepping up to the 2000m will only suit him more...

He will again be paying 20's, have a bit EW on him as he is a big hope...

Blewy

LOL yeah good work :P

The one paying around $20 :P isnt that enough info?? :P

Its name is Regal Troche...
Trained by Anthony Cummings...

Smudge

Beaudiene Holmes is starting at Winton on Sunday. It's drawn the outside of the front line though. :(

And what's worse is that our trainer (who is involved with the club) did the draw, so we can't even blame someone else.