• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

jcas0167

Yeah I wouldn't mind a Wells selection. Has probably earnt it more than Neesham and is also probably the better bowler. Either of the pair would be good though.

I feel for Sodhi but it was just such a braindead selection in the first place.

No way could Ronchi bat 4. He's a number 7 and frankly a bit of a slogger. It would be like asking Jadeja to bat 4 for India.
He can bat properly, his debut hundred for Wellington was technically pretty good - a lot of nice shots through the off-side (admittedly against a weak CD attack). That said, I wouldn't have him at number 4 in a test, maybe number 6 and move McCullum & Anderson up.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Admittedly only watching the highlights, but why would you select a rookie leggie who seems to send down one long hop / full toss / delivery a foot outside leg every over, against India of all teams?

hendrix

Admittedly only watching the highlights, but why would you select a rookie leggie who seems to send down one long hop / full toss / delivery a foot outside leg every over, against India of all teams?
there is no reason to make such a election. almost cost us the test.

Blocky

Banned
don't you think we have better domestic batsmen though?
Yes, but I don't like exposing them for a single match in a series without being in the squad to understand and know the environment and get some level of comfort with what they're doing. That's why I'd rather go to someone like Ronchi who has his most evident path into the side blocked by Watling, has some ODI form to carry him into the series and really has nothing to lose at the moment if he gets a game

hendrix

Yeah the more I think about it the less I like giving Latham a one-off test, especially in the middle order when he's eyeing up the opener's slot and is realistically only one test away from taking it.

wellAlbidarned

Because apparently there's an unwritten law saying you must play a spinner against india at all costs, even though that's exactly what they want to face away from home.

brokenrecord.jpg

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
God I hope they don't pick Guptill to cover Taylor.

Would be dire. Would prefer we go Munro/Franklin/Brownlie before doing something like that.

Flynn could be an outside chance.

Blocky

Banned
Franklin isn't actually that bad of a choice to be honest, although it reminds me of a Matt Sinclair style pick where they don't actually want him to succeed when they select him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Franklin isn't actually that bad of a choice to be honest, although it reminds me of a Matt Sinclair style pick where they don't actually want him to succeed when they select him.
Haha yeah fairly true that. I'm more just hoping Taylor plays tbh. Franklin knows the Basin better than any of the other blokes and the Indian bowling would suit him just fine. Probably the easiest temporary fix to that particular problem with the Ryder issue and Brownlie's dubious form.

Blocky

Banned
Jesse Ryder dropped by Black Caps | Stuff.co.nz

Speaking of Ryder.

His future is pending investigation but it leaves me to believe he'll be selected for the T20 world cup and given strict instructions on "If you binge, you're gone"

If I was NZC, I'd actually go to a viewpoint that Ryder gets one last, last chance but this one comes with the strict warning that if he screws up while within the squad again, he'll not only never play for NZ again, but that they'll also bar his ability to be selected by domestic squads in New Zealand meaning he'd have to ply his trade completely overseas. It's a "If you're good enough to stay clean and responsible, we want you, you're talented and we believe in you, but if you don't take this seriously, we want nothing more to do with you at all in NZ Cricket" message.

hendrix

nah, none more for mine.

This is far worse than what he's done previously. The night before a test match ffs. That's just utterly disrespectful.

Blocky

Banned
And that's coming from the viewpoint that I don't really care if our team isn't the most upstanding responsible role models in the world if they're languishing in 8th place in both formats. I want to see our stars on the field for us because we simply don't produce enough of them to have another Shane Bond situation where our best player isn't available for the country.

Ryder has the potential to be Taylor'esque in performance and add a great balance to the side with his bowling too.