• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2018/19

nzfan

If our boys were bowling on the same deck, trust me we would have had ND struggling. Can't say enough for the experience of Woodcock, youth of Rachin and flamboyance of Coway to have made good quick runs on this deck. It had 200 written all over it.

straw man

Maybe CD actually needed the engine room steel of Luddick today.
They've got Foxcroft to run the engine room so might yet be ok.

I'm still not familiar with the huge number of young SA players going round - Conway, Foxcroft, Ludick, Nofal and more - most of them seem to score runs constantly and bowl pretty well too. I feel kinda bad if SA lose all these young guys, though some might yet return there I guess.

Last edited:

nzfan

Matt Henry looks sharp... He's surely good enough to play tests. He's been on the bench way too long.

jcas0167

I have to say, it's hard to remember a teenager look as at home in first class cricket as Ravindra does. The name that most obviously jumps to mind is Williamson (though Latham was also fairly competent).
McMillan, Taylor and Ryder are others that come to mind.

Further back, John Aiken scored a century on debut opening the batting for Wellington as a 19 year old. Now a psychologist and host on Married at First Sight Australia.

Chubb

That was a classy inning by Ravindra, all class. Sneaked out of work for a bit to watch and he was batting like beast. He didn't get beaten one ball in the hour and half that I watched. The pitch is green, the ball's moving all over the place. Kuggs troubled Conway with some nasty short stuff. Ravindra was good at mixing, pull shots, with sways and leaves. I was thinking he was going to get a triple. Play Ish easily and scored good runs fairly quickly against Ish.
I missed him. Got here on the stroke of tea.

Chubb

Further back, John Aiken scored a century on debut opening the batting for Wellington as a 19 year old. Now a psychologist and host on Married at First Sight Australia.
Is that why Cameron Merchant is on it too?

nzfan

Yeah my question too... How many 19 year olds opened inning in domestic cricket over the years. Kippax will have an answer to this I guess, he has some magic access to cricket archive or something like that.

jcas0167

Yeah my question too... How many 19 year olds opened inning in domestic cricket over the years. Kippax will have an answer to this I guess, he has some magic access to cricket archive or something like that.
I would guess Matthew Bell, James Marshall, Tim McIntosh would have based on when they debuted. Maybe Woodcock too? Bell debuted at 17, but didn't crack three figures until his third season.

Bahnz

Ryder undoubtedly (he averaged 60 as an 18 year old, **** what a waste). Taylor was never particularly flash in FC cricket as a teenager, was more of a list A wunderkind.

Immenso

For the 1990 tour of England, speculation about who the young batsman would be that would be taken on tour for the experience. Common wisdom was that it should be a young opener. Talk was it may be John Aiken who had only played the one FC game in which he scored that century on debut, apparently it was that good a knock.

In the end they took 32 year old Jeff Crowe to play the county games to cover both middle order and opening ......

(Jonathon Millmow was the young bowling bolter taken on tour).

nzfan

Ravindra must be averaging like mid 40s or more including this knock. Something like 5 50s in 7 hits or something. This includes hits vs Pak A, India A and 2 first class games for firebirds. I'm absolutely stumped how did the rubbish Wellington set up produce a player of so much class... I think you may think it's unwanted hype but watching him live reminded of watching the likes of great Tendulkar, Dravid, Ponting, Kane etc in terms of timing, sound of the ball hitting the bat, unrushed shot making. You know what I'm talking about , hard to explain. You just feel it when you watch. Very tidy player and great shot selection as long as I watched. I have watched lot of cricket and lots of greats dare may I say for pure class this guy just seems to look like one of those at this tender age. Personally I'd rather see him play in the middle order otherwise it's impossible to bat open and also bowl lots of overs.

Last edited:

jcas0167

@Immenso,

Interesting. That's a shame they didn't take Aiken. As a left-hander I think he was likened to Edgar. Given the problems NZ had in 90's with the opening role it seems incredible he never got a run. I think he made the NZ A team when Turner was coach, but couldn't quite crack the test side.

nzfan

Matthew Bell, I remember moved from ND to Wellington. Tim Macintosh was slow..... but quite a player for Auckland.

I remember Kane didn't have a great start. Taylor was a gun one day player from day one. Did Fleming open the batting?

Binkley

I remember listening to that innings on the radio! For some random reason Henry Blofeld was commentating on a domestic game and he just raved about Aiken - called it the best innings by a young opener he had ever seen. I was always gutted he never kicked on after that.

Immenso

@Immenso,

Interesting. That's a shame they didn't take Aiken. As a left-hander I think he was likened to Edgar. Given the problems NZ had in 90's with the opening role it seems incredible he never got a run. I think he made the NZ A team when Turner was coach, but couldn't quite crack the test side.
I think he just disappeared for half a decade from the scene, like Greg Hay. Never got close again in a decade when everyone got a go opening the batting for NZ.