• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

straw man

I had assumed this Edgar quitting thing was a bit of a beat-up but having read the articles am now fairly disappointed. Whether the world cup seating problem was a petty squabble or not, our selections have been quite good for a wee while now and our identification and promotion of young talented players probably even better. Edgar must have been responsible for a lot of that. No direct quotes but the following (from here) sounds well, competent and professional.
He was well respected among the players for his communication skills around selection, explaining why they had missed out and what they needed to improve on. He was regularly seen at matches around the country and helped pick the NZ 'A' and NZ Under-19 sides.
Nothing unusual but it doesn't take much to recall past eras with bizarre selections and numerous players with nose out of joint as a result.

There's quotes from him in the other article on man of the moment Wheeler:
Edgar watched Wheeler bowl for Central Districts against Wellington in New Plymouth in March, on his return from a two-month layoff with a broken finger, and recommended to coach Mike Hesson he get a chance in England.

"He was the only one who was able to reverse swing the ball. I'd seen two games there, the previous one Dean Brownlie got 300 on a very flat pitch. Then it was flat again and he [Wheeler] was reverse swinging it. He's a good athlete, a good action, he'll get stronger and bowl quicker," Edgar said.

"Some people thought he was injury prone over the years; my personal view was he should get an opportunity. It was only a broken finger, it wasn't a broken back."

Flem274*

123/5
Getting strong Plunket Shield vibes from the Somerset team sheet.

Oh and Santner is gone. Damn, would have been a great troll for the debut #3 to get three figures.

sambha

matt henry should be in the playing XI along with boult and southee.He swings it both ways and is a proper "right arm fast" bowler in the same mould as shane bond.
I would love adam milne in the team as well but he seems a bit raw but has pace to trouble batsman

jcas0167

I had assumed this Edgar quitting thing was a bit of a beat-up but having read the articles am now fairly disappointed. Whether the world cup seating problem was a petty squabble or not, our selections have been quite good for a wee while now and our identification and promotion of young talented players probably even better. Edgar must have been responsible for a lot of that. No direct quotes but the following (from here) sounds well, competent and professional.

Nothing unusual but it doesn't take much to recall past eras with bizarre selections and numerous players with nose out of joint as a result.

There's quotes from him in the other article on man of the moment Wheeler:
He sounded pretty dejected about the situation in the interview with Veitch. According to Veitch the players, including McCullum, were surprised & disapointed to find out Edgar was going. NZ Cricket has a special knack for shooting itself in the foot sometimes.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah this is a huge loss for NZC. I wonder if we'll get any bizarre picks and things going on after he goes. :blink:

Meanwhile, weird game. Glad Latham got 50 and Watling another decent score but daaaaayum Taylor, opportunity missed. Wheeler, though, WAG. He's leapfrogged Milne for future Test squads for mine. Depending how the next warm-up and the Tests goes he might just leapfrog Wagner and Bracewell too.

hendrix

I still can't shake the feeling that Bracewell is a dead end. I like that he's done reasonably well and made all the right changes, I'm just not sure he's good enough.

Dan

Global Moderator
I still can't shake the feeling that Bracewell is a dead end. I like that he's done reasonably well and made all the right changes, I'm just not sure he's good enough.
I've been saying this for years and Phlegm hates me for it. Bracewell is a bigger myth than Athlai's boi Jeet.

wellAlbidarned

Yeah he's a decent player but he definitely doesn't have the same ceiling as a guy like Henry.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I've been saying this for years and Phlegm hates me for it. Bracewell is a bigger myth than Athlai's boi Jeet.
Yeah I've been feeling the same way. Still, he takes bag loads of FC wickets and will probably turn up with a test 5-fer every now and again but he will never be reliably good.

Bahnz

It's worth remembering that Bracewell is still very young. He's barely any older than Southee was when he turned the corner back in 2012. Tend to agree that Henry is the better bowler though.

kiwiviktor81

I can't shake it either. But realistically, they're going to give Henry a go at some point and my prediction is that he's going to look undroppably good. Then it will be Southee, Boult and Henry for a good while and a golden age of New Zealand cricket.

Kippax

Bruce Edgar opens up about his exit

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/media/9430401/bruce-edgar-iv-veitch-on-sat.mp3

Bruce Edgar demands New Zealand Cricket board review after his messy departure | Stuff.co.nz

Edgar said the current mood in NZC was one of "backslapping" for the Black Caps' on-field excellence and dream run to the final of the World Cup.

He felt that could quickly be destabilised when captain Brendon McCullum retires, which is expected to be within the next year, and when Hesson reaches the end of his contract in 2017 and will most likely walk away and accept an Indian Premier League deal.

"This is not about me. If Brendon retires; Mike Hesson gets an IPL contract, that creates instability, then you get the revolving door process.

"The players felt secure, knowing that they were being backed not just for one game but for a series and being given an opportunity to grow and develop as opposed to thinking that this is just a revolving door. The risk is this could lead to all that potential instability."

Athlai

Not Terrible
That was a pretty nothing statement.Effectively saying "when McCullum retires, McCullum will no longer be captain".

Well duh.

Kippax

He's saying NZC currently doesn't appreciate how integral Hesson or McCullum is to eliciting the best out of the current landscape of NZ talent. Short-termism is to the fore.

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
On that pic his feet are lined up. I could have sworn it looked different on the video. Perhaps I am seeing things. I will watch again.
He's lining up right; he just doesn't make an exaggerated step to his left like many left-arm spinners would. Hence it feels like he really isn't pivoting around his leg.

I actually quite like his action. He's finishing it very nicely, as vic pointed out. But he doesn't load up well, and isn't approaching the crease very side on, which makes it feel like he's not getting his whole body behind the ball.

As it is he looks a pretty neat white-ball spinner. Could be a decent Test bowler if he manages Herath level of control and subtle variations.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He's saying NZC currently doesn't appreciate how integral Hesson or McCullum is to illiciting the best out of the current landscape of NZ talent. Short-termism is to the fore.
Hard to say if captain Kane will come up that short though, or if the coach who comes in after Hesson will do all that poorly. He may be saying it but I doubt anyone in NZC doesn't realise how big a factor the McCullum/Williamson partnership has been in our recent success.