• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

Bahnz

Would we have lost at Lords and Adelaide without him?

Some Mark Craig stats:

In wins (6 tests) - he averages 120 with the bat and has taken 33 wickets at 26.7
All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

In draws (2 tests) - he averages 30.66 with the bat and has taken 6 wickets at 64.5

In losses (5 tests) - he averages 20 with the bat and has taken 7 wickets at 109

NZ just have to win more often and he's gonna be better than Sobers.
You're quite right about Lord's. Adelaide is a bit more of a nuanced case - Craig didn't play particularly well, but it wasn't his decision to have him bowling against a one-legged biffer without a deep midwicket, and he did make the very real contribution of removing a set Smith with the old ball. Without that we could've been easily facing a big first innings deficit given how well Nev played after tea.

Anyway, ftr I think Craig's a spud, and I'm perfectly down with him being binned. My point was more in regards to the value in having the balance that a genuine spinner provides. I tend to think that Saunter really isn't good enough to play that role, but I'm OK with giving him a shot. Tend to doubt Astle will do much better. Too slow, doesn't do much with the ball, not much bounce, not even very accurate.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I've given up on the idea of NZ having a genuine wicket taking spinner. Defensive spinner who can keep the opposition from rotating the strike freely please.

Craig just does not compliment our attack at all.

straw man

I like Craig's bouncy action, overspin and turn and I get that he's raw and this explains much of the inaccuracy inadequacy. This is counter to the usual argument for a spinner but some time bowling for Otago in NZ's unhelpful conditions might, just this one time, be the right apprenticeship. It's not discarding him permanently; there's a clear path back into the team unless Astle or Sodhi really excel. Santner is not competing for the same spot.

The argument to keep Craig in the NZ team right now has worn thin though. McCullum's approach to keep pumping up his struggling players, keep them in the game, is not just admirable but essential. However it runs out of air eventually when the player cannot lift their game, when self-belief is not the limiting factor. That wanes too - Craig won't be oblivious to the effect his struggles are having on the team's results,.and the faith that's been shown starts to be more of a burden than a boost.

Some Otago time, perhaps some time with a good spin coach, an overseas FC contract if possible, and then consider next time NZ tour the subcontinent.

Flem274*

123/5
I've given up on the idea of NZ having a genuine wicket taking spinner. Defensive spinner who can keep the opposition from rotating the strike freely please.

Craig just does not compliment our attack at all.
our spinner has taken more genuine wickets in the past couple of years than any since early dan

inb4 all flukes, gifts and jeets would average 18 and not 50 if not for this list of excuses

straw man

our spinner has taken more genuine wickets in the past couple of years than any since early dan

inb4 all flukes, gifts and jeets would average 18 and not 50 if not for this list of excuses
It's ok cos Todd Astle is the next Yasir Shah

Athlai

Not Terrible

Craig is a spud.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

hendrix

Refusal to acknowledge that Jeets is the best NZ spinner still playing the game is straight up denial.

There's no way you can watch any of his spells in county cricket or even NZ domestic and frikken t20 and not conclude that he's a better bowler than the incumbent.

Hurricane

Refusal to acknowledge that Jeets is the best NZ spinner still playing the game is straight up denial.

There's no way you can watch any of his spells in county cricket or even NZ domestic and frikken t20 and not conclude that he's a better bowler than the incumbent.
I always admired how hard jeets worked on his fielding. He knew he needed two strings to his bow and put in a real commitment to ground fielding.

Patel had his chances, he was selected for a tour of India after he had cracked county cricket. He looked like a much better bowler and at one point when he bowled raina it all looked possible. But ms dhoni killed his hopes and our hopes at the same time.
Based on that performance in helpful conditions I don't think he would be a world beater. But yes would be decent. His performances with the bat is South Africa are still remembered however.

hendrix

I always admired how hard jeets worked on his fielding. He knew he needed two strings to his bow and put in a real commitment to ground fielding.

Patel had his chances, he was selected for a tour of India after he had cracked county cricket. He looked like a much better bowler and at one point when he bowled raina it all looked possible. But ms dhoni killed his hopes and our hopes at the same time.
Based on that performance in helpful conditions I don't think he would be a world beater. But yes would be decent. His performances with the bat is South Africa are still remembered however.
He was the best performing spinner on that tour and is hardly the only guy to get killed by Dhoni in India.

And no, the conditions weren't all that helpful IIRC.

Athlai

Not Terrible

It's public knowledge that Jeets actually turned down a recent Test call up. Thats why I'm no longer on the #getJeetsinthere train.

hendrix

Why did he turn it down?
The scenario was put to him that it'd likely be a one-off series as NZ were unlikely to play 2 spinners again in the (then) foreseeable future (LOL!) and it was at the end of his county contract so he didn't want to risk it not being extended after he'd just started a family.

Niall

The scenario was put to him that it'd likely be a one-off series as NZ were unlikely to play 2 spinners again in the (then) foreseeable future (LOL!) and it was at the end of his county contract so he didn't want to risk it not being extended after he'd just started a family.
Hasn't he been picked up for masters league?

one of the conditions is you have to be retired from international cricket.

Bahnz

Hasn't he been picked up for masters league?

one of the conditions is you have to be retired from international cricket.
If so, it's probably because he reckons (rightly) that he'll never play for NZ again, rather than because he doesn't want to play internationals anymore.

However, even with all my Jeets gushing, I totally get why the selectors don't pick him. It's very difficult to select a guy who's
a) 35; and
b) may choose to make himself unavailable between April and September every year.

WalkingWicket

Looking forward to this, bit of cricket to follow whilst I work at night.

Also looks like Sri Lanka put some big runs on early...

sri lanka runs.png

EDIT: Ah rubbish, it's minuscule.

Blain

Yay Craig not in the side.

New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka lead by 32767 runs with 10 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

According to cricinfo, I don't see us getting back in the match TBH.