• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Super Six Discussion

Rik

krkode said:
Well, comparing to third party teams to justify a result between two other teams is no fair way of comparison. India just crushed a team (Sri Lanka) that NZ lost to. What does that say?
NZ reduced Australia to 84-7 before eventually loosing after their batting collapsed, India lost by 9 wickets after theirs collapsed but Australia raced to their target off 22 overs. I'd say NZ's loss was a closer game because they did an "England" and destroyed the Australian top order before Australia limped up to 200, while India were just mown over.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Right, so to prove that you use a post I posted when Australia were 84-7 to talk about India? You really do seem desperate to pick a fight with me if your going to use that to start an arguement. Don't bother, I'm not interisted.
The fact that Aussie destroyed NZ suggetss to me it was a pitch that helped the bowlers - making 84-7 a misnomer.

At the end of the day, NZ were pretty well thrashed, and that is what counts, not a position halfway through a game.

krkode

Rik said:
NZ reduced Australia to 84-7 before eventually loosing after their batting collapsed, India lost by 9 wickets after theirs collapsed but Australia raced to their target off 22 overs. I'd say NZ's loss was a closer game because they did an "England" and destroyed the Australian top order before Australia limped up to 200, while India were just mown over.
Closer or farther, defeat is defeat :P

But you didn't address my point about the Ind/SL match. India beat SL by 183 runs. NZ lost to Sri Lanka. If you feel like comparing two teams based on their performances against third party teams, what do you say to that?

Rik

krkode said:
Closer or farther, defeat is defeat :P

But you didn't address my point about the Ind/SL match. India beat SL by 183 runs. NZ lost to Sri Lanka. If you feel like comparing two teams based on their performances against third party teams, what do you say to that?
Which has the better batting and bowling lineups, Sri Lanka or Australia? ;)

krkode

So what? They're both teams. And NZ lost to one of them, while Ind beat it. And NZ and IND lost to Aus.

So India are 1-1 while NZ are 2-0 if we do it your way.

Still I say, third party matches are no way to compare two teams.

Rik

marc71178 said:
The fact that Aussie destroyed NZ suggetss to me it was a pitch that helped the bowlers - making 84-7 a misnomer.

At the end of the day, NZ were pretty well thrashed, and that is what counts, not a position halfway through a game.
How many teams lately have got Australia in such a position? Yes...2, but can you guess which 2? Well I'll tell you anyway, England and New Zealand. I don't see India figuring here.

krkode

How many teams have beaten SL by 183 runs recently. one. And I can tell you which one, but I think you know.

Why is Australia the standard of comparison here?

Rik

krkode said:
How many teams have beaten SL by 183 runs recently. one. And I can tell you which one, but I think you know.

Why is Australia the standard of comparison here?
Only India have beaten Sri Lanka by that margin but Sri Lanka were beaten by Kenya and, without SA's mess up, they would rightly be out of the WC because their batting has been dreadfully low on form.

Australia are the best team in the world. Why not compare yourself against the best?

Last edited:

krkode

Fair enough. Why not compare yourself against each other?
I think the latter is more feasible when it comes to cricket. After all, cricket is more than just hitting the ball and bowling at the stumps. It's more about game mentality and one on one intimidations.

For ex. McGrath has an advantage over some Indian batsmen, Tendulkar has an advantage over some Kiwi bowlers, Bond seems to have an advantage over Ponting. That's just an example, but it's all relative to each other.

NZ have the upper hand in the recent team meetings, but conditions are different now.

We can only wait.

Rik

krkode said:
Fair enough. Why not compare yourself against each other?
I think the latter is more feasible when it comes to cricket. After all, cricket is more than just hitting the ball and bowling at the stumps. It's more about game mentality and one on one intimidations.

For ex. McGrath has an advantage over some Indian batsmen, Tendulkar has an advantage over some Kiwi bowlers, Bond seems to have an advantage over Ponting. That's just an example, but it's all relative to each other.

NZ have the upper hand in the recent team meetings, but conditions are different now.

We can only wait.
True enough. But I was giving my reasons for thinking that NZ will win. I'm not having a go a you, just expressing my views :)

krkode

Rik said:
True enough. But I was giving my reasons for thinking that NZ will win. I'm not having a go a you, just expressing my views :)
Well, I guess India have spot 2/3 either way, so we won't be seeing Australia again, except maybe in the finals :P

Rik

krkode said:
I was being modestly moderate :D

By maybe I meant surely :lol:
Sadly it's true! :(

Not so bad if you think along the lines of FWC though...I'd get a bombshell...if Gilly and Hayden and Ponting score heavily and Glenn McGrath takes 8 wickets then I'll be a happy man :) but only for the points in FWC mind ;)

krkode

Rik said:
Sadly it's true! :(

Not so bad if you think along the lines of FWC though...I'd get a bombshell...if Gilly and Hayden and Ponting score heavily and Glenn McGrath takes 8 wickets then I'll be a happy man :) but only for the points in FWC mind ;)
SADLY!!!

These are the greatest moments for me in my WHOLE world cup watching experience!!:wow:

Legglancer

Rik said:
Only India have beaten Sri Lanka by that margin but Sri Lanka were beaten by Kenya and, without SA's mess up, they would rightly be out of the WC because their batting has been dreadfully low on form.

Australia are the best team in the world. Why not compare yourself against the best?

Wrong Again .... had South Africa beaten Sri Lanka at the Group stage, SL would still have Qualified and NZ would have been knocked out.

krkode

One more thing, Rik. NZ got bowled out for less than India. Sure Aus batted better against India, but they only played 22 overs - you can never say what could have happened next :P