• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies domestic season 2010

shivfan

Banned
Guyana 239-3 vs Windwards, Sarwan on 81 and Fudadin on 65. Fudadin has been throwing his wicket away all season, until Shiv and Sarwan came into the side. It just goes to show how sensibly Fudadin can bat when he's batting with an experienced player in the middle. That's why I'm always in favour of a side that has a mixture of youth and experience, instead of sweeping everyone away, and putting out a totally green side....

Jamaica 348-7 vs Trinidad, centuries to Parchment and Hyatt, and debutant Horace Miller made a promising 66. Imran Khan took a five-fer so far to enhance his status at the top of the wicket-taking stakes. Surely, he must at least be in with a chance of playing for the A team when the Saffers tour the Caribbean.

Wickets really tumbled in St Lucia! Wicketkeeper Hamilton topscored with 98, as the Leewards made 227, and then Baker took three wickets and Martin two, to reduce the CCC to 36-5 at stumps. Corbin made eight, Phillips four, and Ottley 12, as Reifer ran away from coming out in fading light. Good work, cappo!
:dry:

shivfan

Banned
The bowling standard really can't be that high if Parchment is scoring a century.
Yes, Parchment is the great under-achiever, but I guess even he has to come good some time....

And he was batting against Imran Khan and Amit Jaggernauth, who are in the top five of the leading wicket-takers this season. And he was batting against young pacer Shannon Gabriel, who according to some, is the next great thing.
:cool:

shivfan

Banned
yeah, inconsistent though Parchment has been, his century has to be seen in the context of the Trinidad batting, which has seen Guillen, Perkins, Ganga and Jason Mo all out, none of them reaching anywhere near the half-century mark....

And the old veteran Sarwan gets his century....

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
T&T following on close the day at 65/4 with Russell taking 3 and Dawes 1. Could be over by tea tomorrow.

WindieWeathers

Yes the people i was raving about have had a good time lately..

Brathwaite 80 against Zimbabwe

Kantasingh took another 5 wicket haul (that's 4 or more wickets in his last three innings)

Gabriel took another few wickets,

left arm pacer Delorn Johnson made his debut for Windwards and took his first wicket to go with his eight maidens.

And of course the young wicketkeeper Jahmar Hamilton got 98 yesterday!!.. see Craig, i knew he was one to watch!! :laugh: .

It's gonna be very interesting to see who makes the WI A-team, there's so many talented youngsters to choose from it's ridiculous.

Craig

World Traveller
Is Nash injured? BTW has Gabriel ever played with a speed gun at the ground, and if so, does anybody know what speeds he can get up to?

WindieWeathers

I haven't heard anything about an injury to Nash, he was in Australia with the squad the last i heard, and as for Gabriel, i don't know the exact figures but the word is he can catch pigeons, there was excitement about him before he even made his FC debut, he's started really well and the more he plays the better he's getting, Gabriel, Holder, Roach and Delorn Johnson could be the future of our pace attack if they keep imroving and listen to Gibson.

Craig

World Traveller
WRT Gabriel are we talking about 85-90 m/ph type speeds? Or quicker? His cricinfo profile says fast medium.

shivfan

Banned
The top batting averages at the end of the domestic competition makes for familiar reading....

1) Shiv Chanderpaul (Guyana) average of 118.5 from two matches.

2) Ramnaresh Sarwan (Guyana) average of 116 from one match.

3) Denesh Ramdin (Trinidad) average of 113.33 from three matches.

4) Wavell Hinds (Jamaica) average of 110 from three matches.

5) Runako Morton (Leewards) average of 71.75 from two matches.

6) Adrian Barath (Trinidad) average of 69 from one match.

7) Horace Miller (Jamaica) average of 66 from one match.

8) Narsing Deonarine (Guyana) average of 61.33 from two matches.

Let's see if the batting aggregates throw up some new names....

1) Devon Smith (Windwards) 546 runs at an average of 49, two centuries

2) Dale Richards (Barbados) 457 runs, ave 45

3) Ryan Hinds (Barbados) 446 runs, ave 44, one century

4) Jason Haynes (Barbados) 432 runs, ave 39

5) Andre Fletcher (Windwards) 431 runs, ave 47

6) Kirk Edwards (Barbados) 425 runs, ave 38

7) Justin Guillen (Trinidad) 419 runs, ave 34, one century

No, I guess there's no new Adrian Barath coming up through the ranks this season....

Miller, Haynes, Fletcher, Edwards and Guillen have all shown potential, but haven't done enough to deserve a callup to the Test squad, IMHO.

WindieWeathers

I think to compare the batting averages of someone who played two games to someone who played six isn't fair Mike, furthermore what happened to your line about "a batsman must get a 100 and be one of the top ten batters"? Gullien done it and yet he still isn't good enough for the test side? as for Fletcher, it's up to him, if he finds form in these odi's coming up then i think he might motor on and never look back, he just needs to believe in himself at international level.

Craig

World Traveller
But again, if they are not scoring centuries at FC level, how will they do it at Test level?

I don't mean to be harsh but:

shivfan

Banned
:laugh:
Windie, that's why I've presented two lists - one of the batting averages, and one for the aggregates. The averages show that oldsters like Shiv and Sarwan still have it. The aggregates show how well those who've played a few matches have done over an extended period of time.

Unfortunately, Guillen's runs have come at a paltry average of 34, which just isn't good enough. Fletcher has a better average, but just can't concentrate long enough to notch up at least one century.

Sure, give him a go in the ODIs, but neither Fletcher nor Guillen have really done enough to earn a callup to the Test side this season. They need to take a long, hard look at what Barath, and even Simmons, did last season, to get into the reckoning for Test selection....

WindieWeathers

But again, if they are not scoring centuries at FC level, how will they do it at Test level?

I don't mean to be harsh but:

Nah not harsh more misinformed imo 8-) , i've never said that i expected any new batsman to come in and get a 100 straight away, if a guy is getting over 50 five times out of seven in FC cricket (like Andre Fletcher for example) then i'm more than happy to give them a chance, it's all about DEVELOPMENT for me, Brathwaite never got 50 in the few innings he played for Barabados towards the end of the season and then he went and got 80 against Zimbabwe, sometimes batters can make the step up even if they aren't murdering every delivery in domestic cricket.

WindieWeathers

Windie, that's why I've presented two lists - one of the batting averages, and one for the aggregates. The averages show that oldsters like Shiv and Sarwan still have it. The aggregates show how well those who've played a few matches have done over an extended period of time.

Unfortunately, Guillen's runs have come at a paltry average of 34, which just isn't good enough. Fletcher has a better average, but just can't concentrate long enough to notch up at least one century.

Sure, give him a go in the ODIs, but neither Fletcher nor Guillen have really done enough to earn a callup to the Test side this season. They need to take a long, hard look at what Barath, and even Simmons, did last season, to get into the reckoning for Test selection....
Not really bothered about Gullien anyway, Brathwaite is the one i'm counting on and i'm convinced he'll be in the side sooner rather than later.

shivfan

Banned
Cozier has an interesting assessment of the domestic season here....

Can't buy me sense | Cricket Features | West Indies v Zimbabwe 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

"Ten of the 14 batsmen with more than 300 runs were the usual suspects who had already represented West Indies and all but two of the 13 bowlers with more than 20 wickets were run-of-the-mill spinners."

So, Cozier agrees that the youngsters didn't really embrace their opportunities this season....

There was one big success (day/night games with pink balls), one big failure (playing all matches in one territory), and one welcome sign (Gayle cussing off Pollard, Smith and Ramdin).